StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any V-Strom owners in Saskatchewan? I have noted one in Carenport, but are there any more? I live in Melfort (3hrs north of Regina), and own a DL 650.

David

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I was there in July :p

David Chapman said:
Are there any V-Strom owners in Saskatchewan? I have noted one in Carenport, but are there any more? I live in Melfort (3hrs north of Regina), and own a DL 650.

David

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought one last month, he is in Regina.

Cheers

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just moved to Grenfell from Maple Creek. Blue '04 DL650 and blue/black gear. I was MIA last year after a bad crash.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I hears ya Colin. As a dedicated Blue fan, it breaks my heart to do so, but will be cheering on the Green Team as well. We will be sitting in the stands at the Grey Cup and if we had to watch a BC/Mtl or TO game it would not be good.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's one more in Saskatchewan, 2004 DL 1000 south of Assiniboia, loving it after many years without a street bike. I think it works great on gravel and our crappy highways. Hey I was just in the Cypress Hills hunting elk last week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's one more in Saskatchewan, 2004 DL 1000 south of Assiniboia, loving it after many years without a street bike. I think it works great on gravel and our crappy highways. Hey I was just in the Cypress Hills hunting elk last week.
howja make out. some of my friends have been out and had really good luck. we went to Greenwater lake for the calling season and ended up with 2 for 4. Last year 4/4 and the year before 3/4, so have been doing ok.

Back to Strom......went to Cody, WY and Vancouver, BC this summer, amoung other places. Nary a hiccup, but the damn thing always wants to go 140/150, two up or not.

Ron, over @ Grenfell, would like to see me going that fast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Elkless in Assiniboia

Sounds like you guys are doing better than okay, we hunted hard for 3 days and saw 2 rag bulls. Another hunter said he saw a herd of 200 head south and it sounds like they went into the park and didn't come out. Saw enough moose to fill a tandem truck though, probably give it another try in December.

I know what you mean about the bike being hard to hold back the first time I put it through the gears on my gravel road I looked down and saw 160. Riding two up is easier to stay under control as my wifes fingernails in my side start to hurt a bit.

Enjoy that bike out in the banana belt, cheers Stan.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
A buddy of mine and I rode across Saskatchewan on Queen's Highway 1 in August of this year. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stop and enjoy the landscape and the side roads like we would have liked.

We also found out - almost the hard way - that there are a TON of deer once the sun does down. We ended up riding abreast, one in each lane, scanning for deer until we got to MooseJaw. We pushed until about 00:00 AM and finally called it a night. We came from Glacier National Park, Montana that day, so it was a LONG day and getting cold quickly.

The funniest thing I saw was a postcard in the lobby of the hotel we napped in (7 hours). It was a black piece of paper with the words "Saskatchewan At Night" in yellow letters. I asked the clerk at the desk if she just took that picture - it was SO dark. Very little interference from urban areas like in the Eastern U.S.

I've been wanting to head back that way - perhaps next season.

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you do head back to SK, think about going on hwy 18, which in the very southern part of the province. Fantastic scenery, badlands, etc. The pavement is decent, lots of curves, next to no traffic or ppl. As you probably discovered, the ride east from Moosejaw pretty much to Winnipeg is abit on the dull side. The Cyprus Hills in the Southwest portion of SK is well worth visiting as well.
Im sure our Saskatchewan friends can add more detail and hints on places to visit.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
If you do head back to SK, think about going on hwy 18, which in the very southern part of the province. Fantastic scenery, badlands, etc. The pavement is decent, lots of curves, next to no traffic or ppl. As you probably discovered, the ride east from Moosejaw pretty much to Winnipeg is abit on the dull side. The Cyprus Hills in the Southwest portion of SK is well worth visiting as well.
Im sure our Saskatchewan friends can add more detail and hints on places to visit.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. I loved traveling in SK and would love to revisit the area. Traveling across Canada was one of the highlights of our trip and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Although the trip via the Queens Hiway 1 was a bit boring - it was the only time I've been acrosss that part of Canada. The coolest part was - in the towns we stoppped in - we were the talk of the town. It seemed to us that not too many guys traveled across the territory on motorcycles and the locals really made us feel at home. That kinda reception makes you want to come back and spend time there.

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
3 Posts
strom riding in sask

have you tourers ever been through central/further north sask while on your way through? you don't really get a good idea of what's here if you don't swing north of Saskatoon and ride through the forest for a while......everyone thinks sask is all like the view from the trans-canada highway, but boy are they wrong. just watch out for elk, bears, moose, deer,.....ukranians (politically incorrect, but some of my best friends speak a second language). love it up there.

·
Registered
136 Posts

David
Depending on a final interview, there may be a blue Wee in Prince Albert by the end of the summer.

Does that help?

Foog, I'm gonna miss the all-year-riding weather of the wet coast if I make that move.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Depending on a final interview, there may be a blue Wee in Prince Albert by the end of the summer.

Does that help?

Foog, I'm gonna miss the all-year-riding weather of the wet coast if I make that move.
You'll be going against the flow of traffic. The rest of Canada seems to be moving here!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Steak on the Yellowhead

have you tourers ever been through central/further north sask while on your way through? you don't really get a good idea of what's here if you don't swing north of Saskatoon and ride through the forest for a while......everyone thinks sask is all like the view from the trans-canada highway, but boy are they wrong. just watch out for elk, bears, moose, deer,.....ukranians (politically incorrect, but some of my best friends speak a second language). love it up there.
Rode across Canada on a Yam SR500 in 1978 and found this little funky restaurant out on the #16 Hwy somewhere between Saskatoon and Yorkton I think. Only thing on the menu was steak and it was run by an old Chinese couple. They told me the place had been their family for decades. The walls were lined with testimonials from all over attesting to the excellence of the steaks. I mean this place was in BFE nowhere. Anyone know of it 'cause I'd like to find it again and ride there for another steak?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts