StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all V-Strom users!

I wanted to ask how's V-Strom for touring long distances? Is it a good and stable bike on poor roads, such as we have here in Eastern-Europe?

I currently own Suzu Katana 600, but planning to buy 1000cc one and Enduro hybrid (supermotos): Yamaha TDM, Suzu V-Strom, Honda Varadeo, Ducati Multistrada, Aprilia Capo Nord are all at my target.

Whitch one would be the best from them as everyday all rounder (city, highway) and as complete-tourer(long distances)?
Any guesses, how good or bad V-Strom is compared with others?

I hope you help me to descide what to buy next from them! It possibly shall take a quite long time for a poor physics/astronomy student like me, but will come one day... ;)

Regards, Margus (Universitas Tartuensis, Estonia, Eastern Europe)
http://homepage.mac.com/nemos/PhotoAlbum18.html

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Touring on the Strom

Hi Mo-tech
I just did a 4000km trip through France and Andorra on my Strom and we had a great time, the bike could cope with the 100+mph cruising speeds for hours on end, it handled the snowy mountinous roads (muddy, icy, pot holed, rough shitty road conditions) in the Pyrenees with ease, the fast sweepers in the Alps were huge fun (stable and with great grunt to get a good drive out of the corners) we did a few gravel roads and they were fine.
overall both myself (I'm 183cm and my wife is 180cm...6' and 5'11) found the bike comfortable, the panniers and top box (the Givi ones) held way more than we need for a 2 1/2 week trip, and the overall fuel economy (autoroutes/regular roads) with 2 up and looking like a Winnebago was 42.02 mph (UK gallon) or 6.722 litre per 100km.

I like it and we'll be doing a bigger ride (hopefully) soon.

give it a shot, it's not perfect but it's better than most

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Million thaks for a good reply! 4000km sounds very convincing for comfortability and practical use of V-Strom.

I'm planning to do some European trips this summer too with my GSX-F first, coz i'm a beginner in mototouring, so i need to learn something from touring techniques and to get used with it. And possibly next summer planning to get V-Strom and gonna do longer trips. Plan is to get to deep into Asia someday on two wheels via Russia. But that is just a plan, or rather a dream :wink:

Regards, Margus

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would highly recommend the V-Strom for your use. I live in Alaska in the US, and the roads here are not very good. The V-Strom handles everything just fine. I saw two of them yesterday that had been on a 20,000 mile ride, and both were doing just fine. I hope you enjoy whatever bike you decide to buy!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gossh, 20000 mile ride. That's more than half circle arount the Globe. Seems like V-Strom is well compatible to do a around-the-World trip too!!? :shock:

(Looks like it's all getting down into my long dreamed bike)

Hearing this only makes my mouth wet and hands shaky to get this DL1000 piece into my garage soon as possible. Bad thing about it is that not very much people sell a little used ones here, whitch i'd like to buy instead of brand new V-Strom whitch is a bit costy if to buy original touring equipment separately... :(

Does anyone know is there a gel-seat avalable for V-Strom too like some Suzuki models do? Or the bone-stock version seat is enough comfortible for ironbutt rides (approx 500-1000km [300-600miles] per day that i plan)?

Cheers and the best of riding luck, Margus

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Margus,

Good luck finding a slightly used V-Strom. It would be a great value if you could find one! I am still using my stock seat, my butt gets tired, but it gets tired sitting in a chair at work too! I have done 350 mile trips without getting off the bike at all, even at fuel stops. Maybe I have an iron butt! Keep looking for you V-Strom, you won't be sorry.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts