StromTrooper banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interesting! All the concern about the motorcycle and nothing about the tow vehicle.

If the concern is about the tow vehicle in salt, that is just one of the things about living here. Lots and lots of salt and the corrosion that goes with it. The vehicles take a pounding but what can you do? My van is just a means to an and and something to be used up. The bikes are more important and I like to keep them up.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I think many of you have opinions based on stuff you read but not based on any real world experience. How many of you have actually had a rusty Strom?

Here is my experience: a fair amount of the 550,000+ kms 340,000+ miles I've ridden on the three Stroms I've owned includes riding on salt covered roads. In many cases the roads are freshly "brined" which means they are coated with a wet salt/water/chemical solution. This does a wonderful job of melting ice and snow and totally coats anything driving/riding on it. My bikes are often coated white with dried up brine.

On top of that my current Strom, 2015 DL1000 with over 212,800 km, 132,200+ miles lives in a heated garage which if anything makes things worse.

There are exactly three spots on my bike where rust can be found:

1) bottom of the centerstand
2) the inner part of my SW-Motech side case rack mounts where the fastening system for the rack connects
3) the little flat crosswise -that is under the front of the gas tank

These are all minor surface issues and the only thing I do about them is spray some ACF 50 on the rack mounts and part under the gas tank. ( the bottom of the centerstand gets worn from contact with the ground so apart from coating it with rubber or similar there is no point.)

Apart from wiping down the headlight lens and all the turn signal and tail lights and occasionally the gas tank I rarely if ever wash the bike at all in the winter. I do spray ACF 50 on unprotected electrical devices like the turn signal switches, high/low beam switch etc.

..Tom

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Tom my wife says WOW..can’t imagine what you would wear in that crap..assume 1 piece aerostitch still? And also the ccold!
Yes one piece Aerostich R3. When commuting suit and tie underneath (suit jacket in Top case) and everything underneath stays clean.)

For cold weather:

Under the R3 is normal jeans (or my dress pants) , t-shirt (but not when commuting) and cotton dress shirt. Over the shirt Warm -n-safe heated jacket with aerostich fleece soft shell over that. Aerostich fleace pants on the bottom. Over street pants and under R3.

Tilley travel dress socks (my normal everyday socks) with Warn n Safe heated socks over them. Warm n safe heated gloves, heated seat (Russel Day Long) and heated grips (Hot Grips brand).

I'm comfy with the above down to a bit below freezing. At that point I add another soft shell and that will take me down to the -teens C. (Coldest I've ridden was -18 c / 0F. That's pushing it a bit. )

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I think it gives the bike a rather nice "patina" myself.
My bike is meant to be ridden and it seems very happy getting dirty. Reminds me of when I had a Golden retriever. :)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
1582034205802.png
Hey Tom, I see a mighty shiny tiger back there. ;)

When I see salt posts I always think of when me and my brother rode out to the bonneville salt flats for speed week. We spent several days riding on the flats. Before we rode back home we went to the car wash with a lot of quarters and I remember an inch or two of salt on the bottom of the bike. Add to that one day riding in the rain, and the bikes were salt free by the time we got home.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Hey Tom, I see a mighty shiny tiger back there. ;)

When I see salt posts I always think of when me and my brother rode out to the bonneville salt flats for speed week. We spent several days riding on the flats. Before we rode back home we went to the car wash with a lot of quarters and I remember an inch or two of salt on the bottom of the bike. Add to that one day riding in the rain, and the bikes were salt free by the time we got home.

Did the bikes fall apart with all that salt on them? People spend too much time worrying about the wrong things.

Yeah the Tiger is my wife's. It's a Tiger 800 XRX Low (I think 2018.) She doesn't ride this time of year.

..Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd ride it from Wisconsin. But, I also completed the Crotona Midnight Run then thru 34°F slush 120 miles home after the ice storm melted.
My 2012 DL650 has been in 4 season riding in upstate NY since i bought it new. It's uglied out, and I've had to replace both handlebar controls as the copper contacts inside corroded due to salt. I'd suggest you baggie and tape them up if you tow down. Sucks when the start button craps out.
My uglied 2012 DL650 now has 107,000 miles so I'm interested to see if the engine/trans dies first or the salt gets to it. Either way, I've gotten my monies worth for sure.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
My 2012 DL650 has been in 4 season riding in upstate NY since i bought it new. It's uglied out, and I've had to replace both handlebar controls as the copper contacts inside corroded due to salt. I'd suggest you baggie and tape them up if you tow down. Sucks when the start button craps out.
My uglied 2012 DL650 now has 107,000 miles so I'm interested to see if the engine/trans dies first or the salt gets to it. Either way, I've gotten my monies worth for sure.
It's pretty common to have problems with those contacts even for people that never ride in salty conditions. Part of the reason is the amount of current that runs through it. A lot of people find a relay for the headlights can make a big difference.

On my 2006 DL650 I had to give the starter switch a good cleaning. I think somewhere around 100,000 miles. It was fine after that when I parked it at 125,000+ miles. (It sat in a hanger semi-exposed to the elements for several years after that. A friend took it off my hands and got it running in a day and the switch was fine.)

Every once in a while I put some ACF50 in the switches to ward off corrosion and have had no issue there with my 2015 DL1000 at 213,000+ km / 132,000+ miles and this bike has seen way more salt and brine than either of my two previous bikes.

..Tom

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's pretty common to have problems with those contacts even for people that never ride in salty conditions. Part of the reason is the amount of current that runs through it. A lot of people find a relay for the headlights can make a big difference.

On my 2006 DL650 I had to give the starter switch a good cleaning. I think somewhere around 100,000 miles. It was fine after that when I parked it at 125,000+ miles. (It sat in a hanger semi-exposed to the elements for several years after that. A friend took it off my hands and got it running in a day and the switch was fine.)

Every once in a while I put some ACF50 in the switches to ward off corrosion and have had no issue there with my 2015 DL1000 at 213,000+ km / 132,000+ miles and this bike has seen way more salt and brine than either of my two previous bikes.

..Tom
Tom did you ever put a relay on your 650? I had intermittent starting switch problems at around 60,000 km with no relay 2 years back; cleaned the contacts (they were charred) and all was good but ended up replacing the switch anyway. Most plastic had to be removed in order to plug into the harness so not a quick job. Cleaning the contacts is much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts

..Tom
Yes after the second control I installed an eastern beaver relay...I like the beaver power sticker on my panniers.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Tom did you ever put a relay on your 650? I had intermittent starting switch problems at around 60,000 km with no relay 2 years back; cleaned the contacts (they were charred) and all was good but ended up replacing the switch anyway. Most plastic had to be removed in order to plug into the harness so not a quick job. Cleaning the contacts is much easier.
No I never did the relay on any of my bikes. I only once had starting issues from the switch and cleaning took care of it. I wouldn't say the contacts were charred, just needed a good cleaning.

..Tom

21 - 33 of 33 Posts