StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on how well our bikes hold up to salt and snow. Here is my dilemma, I am considering a trip to Mexico which would be somewhere in the January - March timeframe. I also live in north-east Wisconsin so I would be trailering to Texas and then riding south from there.

I have the standard 5x8 flatbed trailer with wood sides that are very common in these parts. I would be trailering my bike (2017 wee) on an open trailer through whatever weather we might be having along with the corresponding salt that gets spread. The bike would be sprayed down with ACF 50 in an effort to limit corrosion. My tow vehicle is a Honda Odyssey minivan which I do not believe it is up to towing any kind of enclosed trailer. I had an earlier Odyssey that towed very well, this one is tuned more for gas mileage and struggles to tow anything as a result

For those of you that have had your wee in salt, how does it fair?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since the wheels won't be turning on the bike the salt won't get thrown up into the works of the bike. Just wash the bike when you get past the salt. I do take my bike out on dry street days in the Chicago area and it doesn't have any pitting.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I have a lot of mileage riding stroms on rock-slated and brine-salted roads. Only thing that ever gets corrosion are aftermarket parts (SW Match sidecase rack mounts) and the bottom of the centerstand. I rarely wash the bike and the bike lives in a heated garage which of course makes things worse. I do spray ACF50 on the electrical connections but rarely anywhere else. My suggestions is for what you are doing doing worry about it at all.

..Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Short term fine, long term don't know - I avoid it.

I would just hose it down when I got to Texas.

View attachment 268921
I use a 2008 Vstrom 650 as my winter bike. For the last three years I rode it on many salted and brined roads. I wash the salt off. Then I coat all metal parts with liquid wrench silicon . I have no corrosion at all. I use to use WD40 but that’s not safe on paint .

·
Registered
88 Posts
i agree, just wash it once you're clear of the salt. if that's not enough, buy a small tarp / ground sheet and wrap the bike while in the salt zone. still wash everything once you're clear of the salt.

who knows, maybe mother nature will play nice for you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know that many UK riders use their bikes year round but am unsure whether they use salt on those roads. I tend to be a bit anal and pull the bike off the road at the first sign of salt and avoid wet days in the spring until a good rain but am sure the bikes can take the salt fine esp if hosed off afterwards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We do use salt on UK roads from around October-march. I use mine all year round and after 8 winters the main areas of corrosion are the lower bolts (front/rear axle bolts), ABS rings. I do use ACF50 and ACF50 corrosion block grease for extra protection. If anyone is riding in winter conditions I would strongly advise adding weather protection to all the connectors above the radiator as they're prone to corrosion.

For towing it, I'd suggest ACF50 before setting off and hosing the bike down once you're past the salt would be fine.
Enjoy your trip :)

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
Since the wheels won't be turning on the bike the salt won't get thrown up into the works of the bike. Just wash the bike when you get past the salt. I do take my bike out on dry street days in the Chicago area and it doesn't have any pitting.
don't believe that for one minute, the majority of salt spay does not come from the vehicles tires, its a mist in the air from traffic, it gets everywhere

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The chances are higher of your bike being stolen in Mexico than there is chance of damage from the extremely minimal amount of salt you may encounter. Unless you wait until a blizzard is moving from WI to TX and follow a plow truck the entire time.

If it makes you feel better once in Tejas stop at a carwash and plop in 6 quarters/

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a few weeks late here, in Wisconsin as well.

Seing how bad the brine is on my Jeep, I avoid it like the plague on the bike. Salt Bothers me, but most Brines are like cancer to iron and aluminum.

I put dielectric grease on as many connectors as I could on my V2 prior to swamping my bike on the T.W.A. trail just to be safe.

I will have to look into the the spray protectant mentioned above. But I like the sugestion of using spray and washing when south of the salt.

Sounds fun, got room for another Wiscinsin bike?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I hear ya,but if you haven't left yet, I'd just put it in the trailer and head south. Wash it when you get there.
The state roads around here have the tell tale signs/ rows of brine. The back roads are sand with 10% salt. That stuff sticks around for a while.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't put a MC cover on the bike while trailing. The movement of the cover in the wind may leave abrasions on the paint. Best thing is to power wash the bike when you get out of the bad weather states.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chucksklrst, a cover rubbing would concern me too. I think there would be quite a bit of abrasion after a trip like that and salt grime would get under the cover anyway. Giving the bike a bath when out of the salt makes the most sense. My concern was how vulnerable is the bike to salt corrosion. I think the right answer is to not worry about and just spray the bike down after.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Once the bike is attached to a trailer, go to a boat place and get them to shrink wrap with plastic...
I'd wrap it in cod instead. Then eat the salted cod when you get there.

Seriously, though. Just wash it when you get there. It's the salt that stays on a bike all winter that does the damage. A few days, not a big deal. Believe me; I know. I own a Vee that has done half of its miles encrusted in salt. I bought the bike for that very reason. 210000 kms ago.

The place to pay particular attention to is brake calipers.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
If it is cold it will not rust really. It takes a swing in temp and humidity to get the salt corroding things.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts