StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am a brand new V-Strom owner. My motorcycle friend known on some of the other boards as worm~hole is looking at the V-Strom and the Suzuki SV1000.

:?: He wanted my to ask you all what the difference between the two are (besides the obvious outward appearance). More specifically, is the SV1000 a good base to modify into a adventure touring bike? He likes to tinker and change things (I don't quite understand his thinking).

Don't shoot the messenger! :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It should be pretty obvious if you're comparing the Strom with the
SV1000S (?) 'cause I wouldn't like to ride the SV on a long trip. I mean
it's personnal but I had a VFR in the past and 400 miles in one day was
hard compared to what I just did with my Strom. One day,on my way back, I rode 12 hours in a row and I stopped only for lunch and gaz...
(couples of cigarettes too, to be honest...) I never did that on other
bikes without feeling some pain somewhere. I don't even feel the need
for a cruise control! All that to say that if you're friend wants to go for
longuer rides, he should go for the Strom but if he wants power and stays
around town, well I guest that the SV is better.
The other thing too (but I imagine it's not realy a problem in the States)
is that on the V-Strom, you dond't care if the road has good or bad
pavment.

St Germain

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...hi kids...worm~hole here...if remember (correctly) how the nekkid SV1000 and the V-Strom looked at the dealership, the VStrom and the nekkid SV1000 has tube-type handle bars mounted high ON TOP instead of the low clip-ons as on the SV1000-S...I like high...

...although the SV-S has a cool looking fairing, I think the non-faired SV's clean sheet and single round headlight would be a good starting point for dual 8" rounds and other roll-yer-own mods, yes?...

...so my tinkerer questions are (for those more intimate with their SV, SV-S, VStroms):

1) What's the main suspension part differences between the three?
2) Would the VStrom's high-mount exhaust work on the SV or SV-S?
3) Are there engine-spec differences between the VStrom and SV/SV-S?

...I know jato thinks I'm nuts, but I had to ask...I really like the platform that the SV affords a tinkerer who wants to roll his own-style big-bore adventure rig sans expensive plastic bodywork...dual round headlights here, steel-tube protection there, skid-plate attached here, racks fitted there, wire-spoked wheels adapted here, hi-mount exhaust there, longer suspension here, larger gas tank there...real steel all the way around...can you imagine?...if only I had the money and talent to make these things happen:shock:..might be worth a shot, tho :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried the sv and i think it seems to be a good bike around town and for short trip, but for long distance i prefer the strom.The sv engine work well for a twin,but the position on the bike is more like the zx-12(loved the power) i used to have and the fuel tank is too small for me.I hate to stop because of the pain in my ass or to fuel up when i just did about 200 km.But i think the engine would have fit my style of riding better.The sv engine as a good peak of power when it gets near the red line...and i like that. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts