StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am looking at a new bike, I was/am very partial to the 1190 but something in my head keeps saying:confused:, that's a lot of of money.
Not that I can't afford it, just struggling with the 8-10 $K price difference, in as much will I have 8-10 $K more enjoyment?
Lot of fuel, tyres and farkles can be bought for the price difference.
For me, the defining factors are the KTM resale value is better, street creed along with the top shelf components.
I do like Euro bikes having previously owned an Aprilia and a Benelli.
For the record, I'm referring to the adventure with the 19" front wheel, not the R with 21" front wheel.
I have a DR 650 for more serious off road, so I am looking at mainly road/gravel long distance touring which my 650 XT excels at.
To throw a spanner in the works, I am also partial to the MT-09 Tracer but I think the 17" front wheel will rule it out for the type of riding I do.
Plan on some test rides this weekend so I'm hoping this will give me some clarity.
So please add your opinion on what I should do.:wink2:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I rode them back to back and basically the Strom is 2/3rds of the KTM at 2/3rds of the price. Not to belittle it as it is a fine machine. Go with your heart/wallet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
, street creed :
I think you mean street cred, but seriously if I ever buy a bike based on what the people in the street think, its time to give it away and start playing bowls. Street cred? Really. Thats something for harley riders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are one of the people saying the vee2 is lacking in the suspension department, you should rule out the fj-09. I owned a 2014 fz-09 and absolutely love the motor but the suspension was garbage. When I heard they fixed the suspension on the fj I got excited because I still have parts from my fz that would fit. I rode the fj and the vee2 back to back. The fj still has the garbage suspension that came on the FZ with a little stiffer shocks. The vee2 suspension makes the fj suspension look like walmart pit bike quality.

·
Administrator
6,159 Posts
OK, so I am looking at a new bike,
Plan on some test rides this weekend so I'm hoping this will give me some clarity.
While you're riding the KTM1190 try the KTM1050 as well. White Power front and rear suspension, Brembo brakes etc. About 7 grand less but without the top end horsepower which most would probably not use anyway. Cast wheels with a 19" front put it right beside the V2 for touring and dirt roads.
It still has ABS and most of the power modes and almost the same bottom end power as the 1190. Rings my bells.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Buy two of the 2014's instead of one KTM and you always have a spare, of course you will ride the first one for 100k miles and have no issues with it, and the second one will collect dust, but then in 10 years you can sell the first one and ride the second and you have a new bike for another 10 years.

The KTM power would be nice I think, just a thrill issue when powering out of corners and starting off at a light etc, but the V2 is no sloucher either.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Why not post after the test rides and let us know what "you" think.

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
Get the Multistrada......you will thank me.

Reactions: Ago

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought I wanted an 1190 until I rode one. It was just not nearly as remarkable as I expected it to be. Granted, it's a nice bike, but it didn't make me immediately want to get rid of my '07 Vee (much less a new Vee).

It didn't feel as quick as I thought it should, and I have seen some reports of these bikes on dynos putting out significantly less than they should, considering average drive train losses and the listed horsepower by the manufacturer. Maybe I had one of those.

And the heat issue, that is certainly real. I didn't even know about that before my test ride, but after 30 minutes on a cool day, it was very much apparent to me that my left leg and nether regions were getting quite hot. Where I live, it gets very hot and humid in the Summer, and having a bike that cooks my lower body would make commuting an unpleasant experience.

A dealer just North of where I live has a couple of 2015 Adventure models for $13.3k, I'm assuming that is with the $1500 KTM rebate, and also they were offering a free Klim Badlands suit with your purchase. Deals on the 2015s are certainly out there to be had.

We don't get the 1050 here in the States, either.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Whatever you test ride take a bit of time setting it up for YOU. If you just jump on the demo and ride, there's a fair chance nothing will suit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought about this as well before I bought my Vstrom. The KTM is nice but at the time had all kinds of problems with the sophisticated electronics, the air box, etc... and the price difference is so huge it didn't matter how much nicer it was(It's not much nicer). I don't regret my choice in the least. The reliability alone of the Vstrom was enough to sell me. And after I rode it I knew. Also remember you are posting this on a Vstrom forum. I'm sure thoughts are different on a KTM site.

·
Registered
135 Posts
check out this vid
im not saying I don't want one just not willing to pay double for 1
and I will never buy a product for street cred
never
I really like the nut n fancy guy just a guy with an opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4spDrNCrI

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Maybe "street cred" was not the correct term for what I was trying to convey.
Maybe "having a presence" is a better term.
Like my Tuono, some bikes are good to just look at sipping a cold beer in the shed.
Example,

I would never have bought a V1 as IMHO it was fugly, regardless of how good a bike it was/is, I would never buy one.
The V2 on the other hand has some nice lines, like the designer went beyond what was just practical and made it more aesthetically pleasing.
So to clarify my original statement, IMHO the KTM has more Presence than the V-Strom but I am still partial to the Suzuki.
I'm hoping a test ride on each will help define in my mind what I want.
Like all my bikes, whatever I buy, it will be personalised promptly.
The DR 650 I recently purchased barley made it to the shed before it was fitted with an IMS tank, full FMF exhaust, Seat Concepts tall seat, Fat Bars, risers and grips, along with upgraded suspension.
Should add, mini indicators along with a tail tidy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Really, from what you just said, I'd go with the Multistrada. I rode one for 100 miles on coastal and back roads, unsupervised, it was memorable. If you get the Vee, you'll always wonder what it would be like to own a Multi. I chose the Vee because, at my age, I like simplicity, dealer location and reliability, but the Ducati was the only bike I demo'd that I liked more than the Vee. I'm a street rider and price was not an issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK, so I am looking at a new bike, I was/am very partial to the 1190 but something in my head keeps saying:confused:, that's a lot of of money.
Not that I can't afford it, just struggling with the 8-10 $K price difference, in as much will I have 8-10 $K more enjoyment?
Lot of fuel, tyres and farkles can be bought for the price difference.
For me, the defining factors are the KTM resale value is better, street creed along with the top shelf components.

I have a DR 650 for more serious off road, so I am looking at mainly road/gravel long distance touring which my 650 XT excels at.
I test rode both the KTM1190 and Vstrom 1000 from the same dealer (Procycles, Hornsby NSW) on an April day in 2014. The overwhelming impression I got was the rear cylinder heat on the KTM - it would drive me totally nuts in summer. I'll further add that both bikes feel similar when the KTM in in the 100hp mode where it may not produce so much leg frying heat. Handling on tarmac seemed line ball to me but, like you, the 50% extra I would have had to pay settled the deal on the Vstrom which has done nearly 27,000 trouble free kms.
I've raised the rear 29mm, lowered the footpeg brackets , added pivot pegz and bashplate and other useful things for my central Australia trips.
Like you, I have (and kept) my much modified DR650 which I'll never sell. For trips on mostly dirt out comes the DR; for mostly tarmac (but certainly not avoiding dirt) or pillioning my wife as far as Armidale, Wagga Wagga etc I take the Vstrom 1000.
These two bikes together take care of anything I could ever need

1 - 20 of 48 Posts