StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I've had my V-Strom I thought the turn signals were poor compared to other bikes. My wife even commented that they're hard to see. Inside the enclosure is a standard 1156 bulb just like most other DOT-approved signals so what's up with that?

A little sleuthing reveals that it's because the turn signal housing is miniature black hole. Pitch black plastic - no reflector of any sort. So for nearly nothing, I made some crude reflectors from an aluminum pie pan. The difference is pretty amazing. Yeah, it would be better if they were parabolic but hey, beggars can't be choosers. And no, I don't think there's a chance they will short out since the positive wire goes into the back of the insulated bulb socket.

Penny-tech - you bet!

Attachments

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I put white reflective tape in mine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Shortly after I purchased my then new 046Fiddy I changed the blinker bulbs out for 21Halogen bulbs. . .

Snipped the original wires, made up some connectors for the pins on the back of the bulbs and slipped them in the housings.

Big improvement over the stock POS bulbs sans reflectors.

Initially I was worried about vibration and heat but in 4 years I haven't lost a single bulb (even when a fast moving truck blew my bike off the stand last year) to vibration and I haven't seen any signs of heat being a problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, you guys make my 5 minute tin-foil job look retarted...

But the tin-foil did work wonders as far as brightness...

And I don't think there is an easier / cheaper way.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I used aluminized pipe wrap. Anything shiny or reflective will do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts