StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
I would hope there are some there! When I was in Newfoundland I did see some Stroms but think most were visitors like me. There was one fellow who came up to me (I think it was at the Canadian Tire) who said he wanted to get one. I mentioned Stromtrooper but haven't seen him here.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey;

Any V-Strom riders in St. John's, NL?

Neil
Welcome, Neil. I'm from Gander, but left in '77. I was back 2 years ago almost to the day on my Trophy, but was riding from the ferry with a Strom rider from NS. I have a friend in St. John's who bought a new Connie in about 1984 and still has it.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I planned a solo ride to Newfoundland for 2007. Several months before my ride, I signed up at Ride The Rock,
and I was amazed at the cordiality of the bikers on Newfoundland and in Labrador. I made several mistakes:
most important I did not allow enough time for my visit to Newfoundland; also, I did not ride Labrador at all.

I strongly suggest that you sign up at ridetherock.com and introduce yourself.

When you eventually ride to the ferry to LEAVE Newfoundland and Labrador,
you will probably verify three observations that I made:
1. I should have come here long ago.
2. I shall return.
3. I will forever carry some of Newfoundland and Labrador with me.

Just one vignette: Riding near Bay Roberts, I decided to look at an iceberg in the bay, so I parked
near someone I judged to be a resident (no car nearby). I stood and studied the berg silently.
He volunteered, "Bergs dat size, we calls dem 'growlers'." I thanked him. After a brief moment,
the iceberg obediently growled loudly for ten seconds while it rolled over and settled into a new posture.
(WHY? The berg had been blown into the bay, and had gone as far as it could, grounding firmly on bottom.
The underwater part of the berg melted faster than the part above the water, so the berg became top-heavy,
and fell over, grinding its substance against the rocky sea-bottom and making plenty of noise.)
I inquired, "Do you have the remote control for that berg in your pocket?" He smiled.
By and by he made another observation, "Dere's a piece of metal in yer tire", and sure enough a
screwhead was visible, squarely in the middle of my front tire's tread. I will spare you the tale of
how I met a dozen cordial islanders, among them several who were more than eager and capable
to plug my tire. The repair lasted until I had the tire permanently repaired in Toronto Ontario.

I cannot imagine a better way to prepare to ride The Rock!
Keith

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I planned a solo ride to Newfoundland for 2007. Several months before my ride, I signed up at Ride The Rock,
and I was amazed at the cordiality of the bikers on Newfoundland and in Labrador. I made several mistakes:
most important I did not allow enough time for my visit to Newfoundland; also, I did not ride Labrador at all.

I strongly suggest that you sign up at ridetherock.com and introduce yourself.

When you eventually ride to the ferry to LEAVE Newfoundland and Labrador,
you will probably verify three observations that I made:
1. I should have come here long ago.
2. I shall return.
3. I will forever carry some of Newfoundland and Labrador with me.

Just one vignette: Riding near Bay Roberts, I decided to look at an iceberg in the bay, so I parked
near someone I judged to be a resident (no car nearby). I stood and studied the berg silently.
He volunteered, "Bergs dat size, we calls dem 'growlers'." I thanked him. After a brief moment,
the iceberg obediently growled loudly for ten seconds while it rolled over and settled into a new posture.
(WHY? The berg had been blown into the bay, and had gone as far as it could, grounding firmly on bottom.
The underwater part of the berg melted faster than the part above the water, so the berg became top-heavy,
and fell over, grinding its substance against the rocky sea-bottom and making plenty of noise.)
I inquired, "Do you have the remote control for that berg in your pocket?" He smiled.
By and by he made another observation, "Dere's a piece of metal in yer tire", and sure enough a
screwhead was visible, squarely in the middle of my front tire's tread. I will spare you the tale of
how I met a dozen cordial islanders, among them several who were more than eager and capable
to plug my tire. The repair lasted until I had the tire permanently repaired in Toronto Ontario.

I cannot imagine a better way to prepare to ride The Rock!
Keith
Perfect story. The Rock is FULL of people and stories like that. Thank you for visiting.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts