StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just got some hedienau k60s installed on my bike and I've been getting a whining noise coming from the front of the bike at highway speeds, only when I'm not on the throttle. Also at very slow speeds less than 5 when coming to a stop the bike shakes left to right slightly. This happens either when I'm applying the brakes or I'm coasting to a stop with the brakes. Could it be the new tires or is there something else wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personally, I would not run less than 36 psi in the front.
Also adding a wee bit of preload to the front will sometimes settle a little bit of nervousness.
But firstly confirm there is no underlying problem that has arose by coincidence at the same time of fitting new tyres.
A more aggressive tread pattern will most likely account for the noise you hear and might also account for the slight shake you experience but I would still check tyre pressures, wheel and headstock bearing's.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's exactly what mine did when I put Heidenaus on it. The handling is also very different to the OEM tyres, it'll drop into turns, felt unsafe to me at first but after a couple of hundred km I've got used to it. Much nicer in the dirt. I recommend higher front pressure than standard. You have to put up with the highway noise and front end 'wobble' at very low speed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use them and love the K60's. Yes, they whine and sing (telling me how happy they are!). But, have no issue with a slow speed wobble, or high speed either. Something else is up. As far as the noise, I use ear plugs!

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Something else is not up, it is your new tires. :wink2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did you read reviews before you bought them? They are notoriously noisy tires?

·
Registered
729 Posts
RE; the wobble. Is it possible that the tire bead is not fully seated all the way around?

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
That's why I went with the TKC-70's. A bit of dirt capability and great highway behavior so far. Plus no droning noise for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In the last couple of years I've traveled all over on K60s and have had good luck with them, especially on stretches of gravel. I found that the noise dwindles some after about 500 highway miles. Never had a front end wobble that I recall. They do handle differently than most other street tires, though, and take time to feel confident with. They have some peculiar characteristics but I was happy that they got me from TX to Deadhorse, AK and back on various types of roads under less-than-ideal conditions at times. Usually ran 36-38F and 40-42R, fwiw.

With that said, I sort of look forward to spooning on a set of smoother running, more street-worthy tires for next year's paved adventures. Good luck sorting out your wobble issue. Others here have pointed out some things to check before giving up on your tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I did end up switching the tires to anakee 3s and they have been outstanding! So for now my k60s are collecting dust in my garage. Haha I essentially commute to work on it so I guess I should have bought a more road oriented tire in the first place. Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
And that is exactly what I've done. Waaay better on street and specially on the wet surface. Very capable and close to K60 on gravel. Cornering - day & night!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts