StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since BK's asked, maybe we should identify V-Strom owner careers...

For myself, I'm a Management Consultant (and Technical Author) for a number of American and Canadian energy companies, as well as a couple of UK-based construction contractors working offshore North Sea. I've been posted to about a dozen or so different oil platforms, semi-submersible drilling or production rigs, drilling jack-ups, FPSOs and FSUs (ship based production units) in the past 12 years in the North Sea and Dutch sectors. I normally travel offshore for 2-3 days at a time (this is an extended trip as one of the other guys is on holiday in Montreal), and progress various projects back onshore. Hence normal 80 mi roundtrip commute on the V-Strom, but I'm not due back onshore until Tuesday. The food's good though, the weather's holding (so far) and they've planned a BBQ for tomorrow night (on an oil rig, but then some guys on another North Sea rig near Norway were fishing and caught a shark last week!).

I initially studied Heavy Equipment near Toronto, then Broadcasting, then a stint on FM radio. Not near enough money, so career change brought me to Aberdeen and the oil industry. Mid-life crisis resulted in MSc in Economics, and then motorcycles and my yellow V-Strom (only ever rode Honda's and Kawasaki's in the 1970s, but remembered well a Suzuki 650 I once saw).

What's everyone else do (if you're not riding)? Does anyone else occasionally envy motorcyle couriers? Has anyone figured out how to hold a Starbucks latte on the Strom yet? The gap between the windshield and the dash is just big enough for a muffin.

Cheers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Paul,

My cousin used to be the Marine Superintendent for Agip. I know he worked on Agip's platforms in the north sea but that was over 10 years ago.

As for me, I am a firefighter/paramedic Captain with Lauderhill Fire Rescue in South Florida. I have been with the department for the past 22 years and hope to retire in the next few years. I try to commute on the Strom as much as possible. It is around 120 miles round trip from my home to the station every third day.

I am also the Public Safety Products Manager for Brownie's Thrid Lung. We build equipment for dive rescue teams, check us out here, http://www.browniespublicsafety.com

I started riding when I was 13, learning on my friends Yamaha enduro 80. When I was 18 I got a Honda CB1100F and after selling that to pay off some loans, I bought a CB750F. The 750 was set-up as a drag bike and I sold that one soon after getting married (You know how that goes. :oops: ). Well it took 17 years for me to have the bug bite me again.

Now I am thinking of getting a second bike! Hoohoo :lol:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Occupation

I have an '03 Strom. I work as a Union Plumber, local 434.

My exp. with cycling started with my dad teaching me on an old honda 50cc step thru scooter, much like the early eighties passport model. Then about six years ago I bought a used honda cb750, the same model that my dad had owned. I then bought a '98 honda magna, an '01 concours and now the strom.

Zed

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 02 Strom #1000

I am from west central Ohio and work for Honda of America (ended up with the Strom while looking at new Hondas, LOL) I am just a factory worker, not an engineer or anyone of great knowledge, as most of my coworkers are more than happy to remind me, haha.

I started out riding about 31 years ago on a Honda 90 on old old farm lane of a friends. My first bike was a 74 Kaw 400 2 stroker and I went from there to a 1973 Z1-900. Since then I have owned a couple of other 1977-1978 Kaw 1000 LTDS which I loved and thought never to replace till I made the mistake of a dealer throwing me the keys to the V-Strom (talk about nasty sales tactic.. haha) I managed to stop myself from buying the bike for a year and then I kept thinking aobut it so much I called dealers all over the states of Oh and Indianan till I found my 02. I was real partial to the Blue and I actually saved a ton of money buying a new leftover.

Well, enough rambling and hope to get together with some other Strom riders some day for a ride.

Randy B

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XL125

Looks like most started out on Honda's. Like Randy, my first bike was a 70s Honda XL-125 that I rode year round on the farm roads 100mi north of Toronto...even towing toboggans up and down new-plowed roads! Then a Kawasaki 400, traded in for a succession of VW Beetles to get through college. Hey Zed, a CB750 was some machine to "get back on". Most opt for 600s.

Thanks for the web-link Trooper. Checked out the 'third lung' etc content, it may come in handy if the UK gets any wetter!

Cheers!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Randy I am another Ohioan - Go Bucks! - Where in west central Ohio ? I am from East Central Ohio. New Philadelphia, just North of Cambridge. I now live in Northwest South Carolina.

Started riding in 81 on yes, a Honda 750F. Roadraced briefly, what an experience, and just got back into street bikes 2 years ago. Love the Strom but need (want?) a sportbike also. At my age (56) I don't know why I love laying on the tank, but I do.

Looking forward to meeting at TWO in NorthEast Georgia !!

Oh yeah, I have worked all my life in manufacturing. Mostly electronics and now plastic injection. I have worked in Info Tech, and materials management mostly. I guess that is why I am sensitive about jobs going to China. Thats another story.

Frank

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in U.S. Navy and have server for 10 years it will be 11 in December. I have been stationed in Jacksonville, FL; Patuxtent River, MD; Pacific Missile Range Facility, HI(Island of Kauai); Sigonella, Sicily, IT; Naval Air Weapons Station Point Mugu, CA.

My riding experience consists of a 1990 Yamaha YSR50, 1986 Suzuki GS1150ES. I haven't ridden for 10 years. I was originally was considering a VFR but after much reassert I have determined that a V-Strom would be more of what I am looking for.

I'm waiting for the 2004 model to come out so I can read some reviews on the improvements. If the changes don't show any improvements, I will be trying to find a 2003(and save some money for accessories).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,I'm from Ohio too.

My previous bikes were

CB450
KZ900
GS1000
DR400
SR500

I love my new 2003 silver V-Strom

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Paul (and the others too) for replying to my curiousity. Your jobs sound very cool. I enjoy hearing about what everyone else is doing, but how about the "I work at Honda but ride a V-Strom" Nice!|

Here is the Brendan rundown.
Professionally: Environmental, Health and Safety Director for a Hallmark subsidiary. I have been doing that for about 4.5 years and it was (is) my first professional gig out of college.

I worked my way through college (Indiana State) by selling motorcycles for a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Triumph dealer. While I absolutley loved it, I enjoy the sport more now that I am not on the sales floor 6 days a week.

I stayed in the "business" by starting Howboucha.com three years ago as site for my active at the time motorcycle club "The Society for the Preservation of Motorcyclists".

I also am a co-host for a popular (in the area) radio show "Motorsports Monday with Mike King" (Of IRL fame). We have been doing that show for over 5 years now. So that satisfies my ego thing.

I started Stromtrooper.com after I bought my V-Strom. I did it because I wanted to see a good source on the web that could answer my own questions about my bike from those that are owners and provide a great resource for current and prospective buyers. I realized that there was another source, but that "source" just drove me nuts for obvious reasons.

My websites, Howboucha.com, Stromtrooper.com and RedbirdSRA.com are hobbies for me, and of course I do not make any money from them. (actually are costing me about 2K a year) which is becoming too expensive as a hobby. I am looking at trying to find a way to make enough money to fund the hobby almost entirely, so look for a T-Shirt soon. :)

I have been riding on the street since 15, and have owned over 30 street and Dual Sport machines over the last 16. Of all of the machines that I have owned (I had many dealer demos over the years too) the V-Strom is by far my favorite.

Well breakfast is ready so off I go.
Nasty weather in Indiana today, so I will probably keep the V-Strom in the barn.

Brendan Kearns
2002 V-Strom
Clay City, IN

·
Registered
167 Posts
Brannon_Miller said:
I'm in U.S. Navy and have server for 10 years it will be 11 in December. I have been stationed in Jacksonville, FL; Patuxtent River, MD; Pacific Missile Range Facility, HI(Island of Kauai); Sigonella, Sicily, IT; Naval Air Weapons Station Point Mugu, CA.
Hey Brannon,

When were you at Sigonella? My cousin's husband was a MP there (K9 handler). He is in Pensacola now in flight school.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Brannon,
I'm in the Navy also....San Diego. I have been in 21 years with the last 11 here in San Diego at Special Boat Team 12. I just bought a yellow 03 VSTROM and love it. I gave up my 00 V MAX for something a little more versatile. Other bikes I have owned:
Suzuki TS 125
Kawasaki KH400 2 stroke triple
Kawasaki LTD 440
Harley 1200 sportster
Honda CRF 450

The V MAX was a great cruiser for short rides...a ton of power. Handling wasn't the greatest. Mileage sucked!

Don

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I guess I am somewhat in the same industry as GB #121.

I work for a major Canadian oil and gas company as an Asset Engineer in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin. It is my responsibility to develop, exploit (my old job title was Exploitation Engineer), and manage oil and gas properties. Someday mundane, other days fun. When you have an active property with a lot of development, or working on aquisistions of other properties, it is very fun. If you have a mature property with little to no upside, it is quite drab to manage.

All in all a job that I enjoy. The company provides an unreal amount of training, but is too big at times. I'll give it another year or two here, get some more experience under my belt, and then move on to a Jr. company.

GB #121, the company I work for does off shore work as well, just only off the East coast of Canada and in the South China Sea (can you guess who we are?).

I took Mechanical Engineering in University, but use very little of it in my job. Over the past 3 years I have taken a number of reservoir and production engineering courses, which I use on a daily basis. The other main aspect is economic and risk evaluation.

My riding career started at age 5 on a Honda ATC70, then onto a Yamaha GT80, followed by an XR100...then a lapse until University where I found myself on a XR350L, then an FZ750 and finally my first new bike a 2000 ZX6R and now the 2003 V-Strom and a 2001 SV650 for use on the race track.

GB #121, any job openings over there? I think a little international experience would be fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
More About Me

I was in Sigonella form May 1998 to March 2001. My command was AIMD(AIRCRAFT INTERMEDIATE MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT). I will be here in Point Mugu untill July '04.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
North Sea Careers

Tokenboy

A number of Halliburton KBR guys have transferred back to the North Sea with ExxonMobil taking control of Eastern Canada. Surprisingly, a number of ExxonMobil guys have since transferred over to experience the "european thing". Maybe they didn't take to Newfoundland. I coach kids ice hockey in Aberdeen so they usually show up a the rink on arrival, child in tow. My kid is the netminder for the U12s.

Seems to be enough going on offshore here as long as you aren't intent on a career with either Shell or Amerada Hess! Stavanger Norway seems another possibility, great little Mexican restaurant down at the harbour. Touring there would probably be pretty great. One day...

Oh, and you'd have to lose the V-Strom. I have the only V-Strom in Aberdeen (if you don't count the 03 Blue model languishing at the local Suzuki dealer!).

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jetratt said:
I'm in the Navy also....San Diego. I have been in 21 years with the last 11 here in San Diego at Special Boat Team 12.
Don
Don, I was in Special Boat Unit 11 out of Mare Island in the 80's. That was a fun job :)

Now, I work as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer in the San Fransisco Bay Area. I don't yet own a DL1000, but that is the bike I want get after I kill my KLR. I have 48K on it and do 20k/year commuting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I work as a service manager for an independent tire dealer. My first bike was a ct70 @ age seven have had lots of dirtbikes/quad ever since.
The first streetbike was an 80 cb650c in high school.It had been 10 yrs or so when my brother inlaw brought by this beater 750sabre and said try it.
that summer a 80 cb900c this year a yellow 03

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Alex,
It is a fun job. Things have changed alot since then. Still fun though!
GOD, COUNTRY and FAST BOATS!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anonymous said:
Hey Alex,
It is a fun job. Things have changed alot since then. Still fun though!
GOD, COUNTRY and FAST BOATS!
Is there room for 'Fast bikes' in there :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This seems a little ironic:

I'm an administrator at a level one trauma center that serves a five-state region.

Been riding motorcycles since I was 8 years old. That's 35 years as of last June. Can't wait to celebrate my 70th year on bikes.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts