StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place - I searched in the forums but did not find something.

Anyway, I'd really like to attend some mechanic course with emphasis on motorcycles and if possible on v-stroms.
Some people learn as they go and have informal education...I'd like to get some formal education. Had some mechanical experience but with much much bigger types of vehicles..

Does anybody here has information on such courses?
Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not sure about New Jersey, but up here they offer an evening course on motorcycle maintenance.

You might want to check out your local community college. You can also check out any motorcycle driver training places. Sometimes they offer this as an extra class.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Does anybody here has information on such courses?
Well, what do you know! I was planning on opening up a school myself! You could be my first (unlucky) student! Tuition will be $25,000 for one semester, (that should buy me the fuselage, and wing kit), and $25,000 for the second semester, (that should purchase me the motor, prop and avionics).

There is a money back guarantee for your investment. I will guarantee that you WILL learn something for your WELL spent cash. I am not going to say if what you learn is "right", or "wrong", but you will come away with a "Damn, now that was an experience!"

Whaddayasay?

Deal?

(At the very least, you will like Maine. I am originally from NJ, and I like Maine, so I am guessing you will too. See, already learning something! That one is a freebee. The rest you are going to have to pay for.).
:biggrinjester:

PS: The only tools you will need for the class are two different sized hammers; a big one, and a BIGGER one. And, two cans of spray Rhinoliner. Cost effective and efficient.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@slt824: Thanks, I'll try looking for one. Lincoln Tech has a motorcycle program but only in CT. I'll try calling them, maybe they can recommend another college/program.

@BlackLab: LOL..no deal, I pass! I said FORMAL education. While yours would be probably be a very interesting one, I'm afraid it fails on that factor :)
If I ever get to Maine it would be nice to have some beer, but not sure I'd like the weather so much. To remind you, I come from the "Milk and Honey" state which is very hot and mostly dry. NJ is a nightmare as it is, Maine would probably be worst.. :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
NJ is a nightmare as it is, Maine would probably be worst.. :)
You are just beyond silly. NJ over Maine? :green_lol:

On the plus side, listen to Barry. There is no better way to learn than jumping in with both feet, and Pat is right too. Read all you can and add his input to the johnofchar and castle-of-teck info. There is nothing you can learn about Vstroms that isn't already posted on Stromtrooper and VSRI.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all the wise elders of the tribe: (no sarcasm, I mean it and admire you all!)
I need formal education in particular because I'm auto didactic. I learned to read and write on my own when I was 5 - that is why my hand writing is so bad to this day.
I don't want to damage the bike with my experiments and learning process..
For the same reason I have a guitar teacher - I learned the chords and scales on my own from the web, but I held the guitar in the wrong way and did not understand the music theory properly (---> No formal education).

That been said, I do read many many posts and implement your advices (Pat's in particular).

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
WHAT!!! Hurt your bike? Come one, if I haven't done it yet, how can anyone?!

For the record, I just barely have a high school education. I tried college, but it was "trying" me. The only secondary education I have is by doing stuff. I am self taught in all that I have shared here, (there are other things, but they don't quite fit into this forum. I try to stuff them in from time to time though......).

Listen to Pat; read, then do. You will become an expert in no time!

Barry

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
To all the wise elders of the tribe: (no sarcasm, I mean it and admire you all!)
I need formal education in particular because I'm auto didactic.
My guess is that every good mechanic shares autodidactic qualities with you (I had to look it up). Figuring it out for yourself is most of the battle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I need formal education in particular because I'm auto didactic. I learned to read and write on my own when I was 5 - that is why my hand writing is so bad to this day.
For the same reason I have a guitar teacher - I learned the chords and scales on my own from the web, but I held the guitar in the wrong way and did not understand the music theory properly (---> No formal education).

That been said, I do read many many posts and implement your advices (Pat's in particular).
BigMan73, You may be auto didactic but you are also one hell of a photographer! Nice shots! On the mechanical stuff I can relate as I seem to need to screw things up before I can learn. Get's expensive!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow! Black Lab's motorcycle course only $25,000. I'm in! Oh wait, I just checked my lottery ticket. Damn, I will have to wait another week.

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the class about; how to turn your wee into a hovercraft. :thumbup:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Wow! Black Lab's motorcycle course only $25,000. I'm in! Oh wait, I just checked my lottery ticket. Damn, I will have to wait another week.

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the class about; how to turn your wee into a hovercraft. :thumbup:
That's $25,000 PER semester!

(I was up at 5:00am this morning reading materials on the Tailwind forum. I could use two more students in my motorcycle mechanics class. The total would purchase the materials to build the plane, a decent motor, decent avionics and enough money to fly to Peru. You will all get an autographed copy of the book when it is published.)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BigMan73, You may be auto didactic but you are also one hell of a photographer! Nice shots! On the mechanical stuff I can relate as I seem to need to screw things up before I can learn. Get's expensive!
Thanks Tom. I taught myself how to do that..only difference you can't get injured/hurt/killed or damage the camera by shooting overexposed photos ..

BL has turned my (serious) question into a circus show..but that's OK. I'll find some solution somehow.

@Barry - I'll give you a contra deal. I'll teach you how to program computers and you can teach me mechanics and the other neat stuff you do. We'll barter trade our knowledge like in the good old days. No money involved - Deal?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
@Barry - I'll give you a contra deal. I'll teach you how to program computers and you can teach me mechanics and the other neat stuff you do. We'll barter trade our knowledge like in the good old days. No money involved - Deal?
That is a DEAL!

(I DO owe you a beer.......maybe two. Just trying to make you chuckle a little!)

·
38,049 Posts
Hey! I used to teach motorcycle mechanics in adult continuing education classes at local colleges and programmed computers at work. How come I never made a lot of money?

I spent everything I had on computers and motorcycles but i should have made more.

·
38,049 Posts

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
WHAT!!! Hurt your bike? Come one, if I haven't done it yet, how can anyone?!

For the record, I just barely have a high school education. I tried college, but it was "trying" me. The only secondary education I have is by doing stuff. I am self taught in all that I have shared here, (there are other things, but they don't quite fit into this forum. I try to stuff them in from time to time though......).

Listen to Pat; read, then do. You will become an expert in no time!

Barry
:hurray: That's why I admire you so much!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's the problem. I'm willing to work for too little.
@GW: Yes, That IS THE problem! :yesnod: The other problem is that not all fields and positions are equally rewarding in terms of $$$, due to skills set and also supply and demand. e.g. There are thousands of decent DBAs but not so many good software architects (just like a brain surgeon makes more than a family doctor).

@BL: I'll try to get to Maine this summer.. :)

Before the forum admins here get pissed off on account of an off-topic thread..let's leave it as it is?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts