StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2008 V-STROM DL-650A with 57,000 miles on it. Don't take stellar care of it. Never been washed. It is dirty, grubby. Doesn't turn any heads when I ride by. But it starts every time and still gets 350 miles out of a full tank full of gas. Neither leaks nor uses oil. Have never had to add a drop between changes. Love the bike. Inexpensive and easy to maintain. Ride for 8 hours a day, next day want to ride more. Would buy this bike again.

Writing this post to describe how poorly I take care of the bike. It hasn't affected this beast in any negative way for my riding style. I ride rural country level, paved roads and a bit of highway. I don't race the bike or put lots of miles on dirt or gavel roads. Although I do ride on them.

57,000 mile on the original OEM chain and sprocket. Getting ready to change it. Not because I'm having any trouble but figure it must be about time. These things do wear out at some point, seems like a good time to change it. I did oil the chain every third or fourth ride using plain old, stinky, gear oil. Splashes everywhere. Eventually grubbing up everything including the license plate which makes that collect and build up dust and dirt. My plate isn't as clean as when the DMV issued it.

SunStar sprockets are Suzuki OEM supplier for the rear. Bought the exact OEM sprocket from them for $35. Bought a JT sprocket for the countershaft. Would prefer to use OEM parts but Suzuki charges what Suzuki charges. Wait until you have to change your mono shock.

Wear out a set of rear brake pads every season. Never changed the front. They don't have any wear on them. I don't brake using the front brakes except in panic braking situations. I brake only using the rear. It is how I learned to ride..

I buy the $5 - $8 replacement rear brake pads off eBay. Never used anything but. These inexpensive Chinese are generally soft and wear away easily which extends the life of the rotor. Ceramic pads are tough, last a long at the expense of wearing away the rotor. Never had a braking problem using cheap pads. Rear pads are easy and quick to change on a v-strom. Two sockets, flat head screw driver, one Allen key and 15 minutes.

Am replacing the rear brake rotor when replacing the sprockets. The minimum thickness on the rear rotor is 4.5 mm. Mine is at 2.5 mm. Half of the original 5 mm thickness.

Recently I went down a mountain road which was so steep that I had to lock the rear wheel and skid the rear wheel down the steepest parts. Was going slow, brake rotor was hot, never had a braking problem, no warping, no stopping problems with this rotor which was woren to 2.5 mm thick. Bought an OEM replacement rotor on eBay for $20 from someone parting out their vstrom.

I change the oil every 10,000 miles using Mobile Delvac 1300 and change the oil filter every other oil change, that is 20.000 miles per oil filter. I changed the oil adapter on the vstrom to accept car oil filters. I use a PureOne 14610 filter. This PureOne filter is designed for a 6 cylinder Honda Odyssey Van. My v-strom 2 cylinder engine doesn't generate enough gunk to plug this large automotive filter. The oil relief valve in the 14610 releases at the same pressure as the Suzuki motorcycle filter.

When the stock half-knobby tires wore out, I replaced them with street tires. Eventually replacing the rear tire with a car tire (Achilles Economist 174/55/R17) because it became tiring to change out the rear motorcycle tire every season. Quietest tire I ever had on the bike. I have 12,000 miles on the CT, the tread still looks new, there is a lot of rubber to wear away. I'd expect to get at minimum 40,000 miles on this rear tire. Tire was inexpensive, paid $48 for it, free delivery.

I spray a short squirt or two of brake parts cleaner in the fuel tank every third tank of gas or so. If I forget it eventually makes a noticeable difference in how the bike runs. A quick squirt is all it takes to bring it back. A $1.50 of brake parts cleaner lasts years if only using it in the fuel tank.

My kid had an extra pair of BMW emblems laying around when he got rid of the car. Instead of tossing them out, I took off the Suzuki emblems and stickers from the bike, replaced the emblems with the BMW ones. Even the BMW riders are fooled, congratulating my choice of a BMW bike. I explain the switcherroo to anyone who says something, all laugh. People tend to think that a BMW logoed V-Strom is some old BMW model they didn't recognize. The grub and dirt on the bike fits this train of thought.

If I were to switch emblems again, I'd put Tesla emblems on it, telling anyone who asks about the engine running that the engine is for recharging the batteries before laughing, explaining the truth and offering to buy them a beer.

Feel welcome to ask questions or criticize my choices. I'm not recommending anyone do as I have done. Simply mentioning what I've gotten away with.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. IMO write-ups like this, supports the legend of the 1st gen Wee. They may not be the latest or greatest, but they get the job done with their proud rider sporting a huge grin 99% of the time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome and great writeup. You've done what has worked for you and congrats on that. Keep up the off the wall maintenance. Cheers

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not sure how you managed to get 57K miles out of the stock chain and sprockets. I thought getting 25-30K was good...

As for taking the Suzuki logo off and replacing it with a BMW logo, you should have immediately experienced final drive failure!!! 😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
57,000 miles on chain system.
Rarely uses front brakes.
10,000 mile oil change intervals.
20,000 mile oil filter change intervals.
Rear car tire.
Adds brake parts cleaner to the fuel.
Replaces Suzuki emblems with BMW emblems.

Not sure if OP is serious or not ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
760 Posts
I would point out that oil (and air) filters perform better and better as they get old and used. At least in terms of what they can filter out. As some of the pores get plugged, it gets harder and harder for metal wear particles to sneak through the filter. If we look at the (ridiculous) end point of that graph, when the filter is totally plugged up, zero wear particles can sneak through the filter material.

In real life, we never want to wait until the filter is so plugged up it reduces oil flow. But so long as oil flow and oil pressure are ok, there's nothing wrong with an old used oil filter. If your oil is dirty and has a bunch of debris in it, and there is any chance of plugging the oil filter up, by all means, put a new one on with every oil change.

But in modern engines with low wear rates, one could make a case for skipping every other filter change.

I personally change the filter every time I change the oil on all the vehicles because it's cheap to do it. But the OP's point is that it's not critical to do so.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
But in modern engines with low wear rates, one could make a case for skipping every other filter change.
The owners manual for the DL650 states to change the oil filter every 3rd oil change, with the oil changes every 6000 km (3700 miles) so Suzuki thinks so too.

The OP's post (his/her first) is amusing, not sure I really believe it.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of the chain and sprockets.

Brake cleaner is mostly acetone. But....

You can do what ever floats your boat to YOUR bike. Not mine though. ;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
@Lizwin not sure if Suzuki would agree with your maintenance practice, but "What do they know?" ;)

Vstroms are proven to be one of "the most forgiving" pieces of technology, they'll run with or without maintenance, I am sure in most third world countries the gasoline and oil is not exactly "to world standards spec" and filters and other parts are not readily available or can be afforded by local strom owners.
Also many Vstroms live and operate in places where "sand and dust" can be felt in between your teeth when you wake up every morning, and gasoline, filters, oil and other lubricants are only available on their black market and sold in dirty and questionable containers or bulk. And when no gasoline is available I heard Vodka or anything similar will get you back on the road.
We are just too spoiled and have a Walmart or AutoParts around the corner, and abundance of products and money to "baby our machines" ;)

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
760 Posts
OP must live in a foreign, third world type country. Who would put a car tire on a motorcycle?
Double the mileage and the same money or cheaper. I don't do it, but lots of people do. Do a Youtube search for motorcycle darkside.

I'll get you started:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Double the mileage and the same money or cheaper. I don't do it, but lots of people do. Do a Youtube search for motorcycle darkside.

I'll get you started:

I did not watch all of it but this guy points out what I wrote above about a car tread being flat vs a motorcycle tread being rounded. I never knew folks did this. Pretty crazy to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are many threads on this site, wrt darkside tires. Typical examples what size car tire??, For all you dark siders... and Tires, to name but a few. Make use the "Search Community" at the top of this page for more similar threads.
I will take your word for it. I have no interest in it. I just never knew folks were doing this. It sounds like the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, but evidentially others do not agree.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The OP post should be a stickey for what kind of abuse a Strom can take and still run!

Next time some nervous rider is stressing about a minor maintainance detail send them here!

😁

·
Registered
985 Posts
It sounds like the dumbest thing I have ever heard of
"Car tires on bikes"...Ohh that's nothing, just stay on bike forums, there is more to come :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :p... guaranteed

... there is even one guy that: "Adds brake parts cleaner to the fuel...and doesn't use front brakes" :LOL: :p

1 - 20 of 77 Posts