StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Nice, but not to much spliting, but was there was done in a safe manner. I need to get a helmet cam and record my comute to work. That will show you some spliting :twisted:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheff said:
Nice, but not to much spliting, but was there was done in a safe manner. I need to get a helmet cam and record my comute to work. That will show you some spliting :twisted:
Yes, there is not much lane splitting. The video is not about that.
That is why I posted it. Just to show that it is normal procedure and even expected by car drivers.

People opposed to it have their reasons and i respect that, but, but... nah

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Cheff said:
That is why I posted it. Just to show that it is normal procedure and even expected by car drivers.
That depends on where you are. They'll actively block your path and try to kill you if you try it in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1. The rider, before pulling out, had the bike facing forwards...even though he was going to move off towards the right. That's amateurish roadcraft.....position the bike towards the direction you want to go, so you can pull away in a smooth forward movement rather than a 90 degree arc.
2. He's a dead man walking if he continues to pull out onto dual carriageways trusting that the cars will not switch lane into his path as he executes his 90 degree turn. Notice the two cars passing him just after he straightened up? If the rear one had attemped to perform an undertake on the first one, or the first one had pulled over to let the rear one pass, then the rider would have been history.
3. The lane splitting or filtering. Well I wouldn't have gone for some of those gaps myself....it just needed one driver to change his CD or adjust his aircon and there'd have been tears.
4. Speed limits? Looked excessive to me....by a long way. We all do it but in this case it seemed to be done in a fairly built up area rather than open clear roads.
5. Give chase to the undertaking sportbike dumbass? Not a good idea in that environment cos all his attention was now focussed on the other bike.

Verdict: At best....amateurish. At worst....dangerous.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Lane splitting ,may I just say that some ridders are "just an accident waiting to happen".I had one a few weeks ago while driving a small truck that made me think how dumb some ridders are.Light trucks get moved about in their lane ,by wind and they wander a bit .I was travelling along at about 55 mph( the speed limit) while being overtaken by another vechile on a divided Toll road . The motorcylist just blasted between us at about 80 mph plus , the other vechile was about 1/2 way past me. Result is the rider clipped my truck mirror and the car mirror, a second latter I get a stiff cross wind which moves me towards the car by about one foot . The idot continued to ride down the road and lane split unaware how close he came falling off and being run over by the following large trucks . This was in very light traffic , he just could not or did not want to time his overtaking moves,I wounder how long he will last ??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone else feel vulnerable when coming to a stop light or sitting in the left turn lane?

Not really related to lane splitting, but LS has certainly crossed my mind a couple times when looking at the traffic coming up on my back-side.

M

·
0 Posts
Arguably lane splitting is a dangerous endeavor. Living in LA it becomes a force of habit. When the freeways are jammed past capacity and at a standstill, that space between lanes that that guy just crammed a goldwing down at 50mph starts to look really good. Here in LA people are somewhat accustomed to lane splitting bikes, and some actually move over to give more room. On the other side of that coin there is a motorcycle down almost every day. I do it when traffic is at a stop, or moving slower than 15 miles an hour. After that I hold my place and roll with traffic. I think California is the only state to allow splitting anyway, so if you arent here.....Tooo Badddd! :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Los Alamos doesn't have much traffic except during Rush Minute, and I don't have normal hours, so I usually avoid most of it. However, today I rode into Albuquerque during rush hour, and let me tell you... I really wanted to filter through the stopped traffic. The gaps were big, the cars moving under 20mph... Probably better we don't allow it out here, my luck there would be a couple of accidents and they would outlaw bikes. (There was actually a bill proposed a year ago or so that would have required -all- vehicles to have an ignition interlock to prevent drunk driving, but it didn't go far, thankfully).

I know what you mean about sitting at a light. I watch my rear view mirrors like a hawk, and flash my tail when I see someone coming, with the bike in gear and an escape plan ready. One of the guys I've ridden with out here, jomawan, was rear ended on his V-Strom. Eeep.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did not see that as being too unsafe. But I did not watch it until the very end. Here in Wisconsin I filter when necessary, though not legal. Where it is not legal it is much more dangerous as others have said. I never filter at high speed, so I am ready for the heros that will try to stop you from heading to the front. These are usually the guys that will try and chase you. God, I love riding the bike.

I cannot understand why it is not legal in all areas. I must live in the area with the stupidest and most painfully slow drivers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
MightyShep said:
Arguably lane splitting is a dangerous endeavor.
Lane splitting is a fact of life for me. What is the point of having a
bike if I have to sit in traffic. If I commute to NYC it's 28 miles.
One hour and 15 minutes in the cage on a decent day. I do the first 20 miles in 30 minutes. The last 8 miles take me 45 minutes.
I can cut 25 minutes off the commute on a bike with normal
lane splitting without going nuts. If I'm more aggressive I can
take off more time. Once in NYC it's a matter of inches.
V-Strom is a porker. My GS500 shines.
If I split lanes in Manhattan traffic I have to watch that I don't get
passed by someone on a scooter.
NYC cops are cool. The NJ ones by the Holland Tunnel are on a mission to make everyones life on a bike miserable so I don't go there
anymore I just take the Lincoln Tunnel.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
On top of everything else that was said, the video appears to be a biker constantly cutting people off and crowding inbetween cars. Doesnt anyone ever panic brake in europe? Is there ever road debri? His line of site was defintley limited, and he was relying on the roads to be perfect. In his case lane splitting was defintley more dangerous than just ring with traffic.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Last week I was in Italy. Folks, I think if you see the scooters and cycles drive there you will understand the definition of "lane splitting". It looked just as or more dangerous there than it does here. Although in Rome it seemed all car drivers were very use to it. But that doesn't make it safe at all.

Sometimes I wish I could lane split here in Minneapolis especially on freeway backups that last a mile or two or three or four, etc. with traffic at 5 mph and bumper to bumper. But the drivers here would probably open a door and kill you on purpose. And the cops just absolutely would not stand for it.

I know its dangerous. I wish it was legal/approved here however so that I at least had the choice in certain situations. But I don't see that ever happening.

M

·
0 Posts
revel22 said:
...But the drivers here would probably open a door and kill you on purpose...
Here in California they have addressed that. If a motorist intentionally injures/kills a motorcyclist in that manner (i.e. open car door or swerve in lane to prevent lanesplitting) they are prosecuted like a felon. Kill a cyclist in California, and go to jail. I kinda like that part.

·
Registered
430 Posts
MightyShep said:
revel22 said:
...But the drivers here would probably open a door and kill you on purpose...
Here in California they have addressed that. If a motorist intentionally injures/kills a motorcyclist in that manner (i.e. open car door or swerve in lane to prevent lanesplitting) they are prosecuted like a felon. Kill a cyclist in California, and go to jail. I kinda like that part.
Obviously, a good law. And I'm sure that law would be enforced here. Its just that our State legislature---despite their historic liberal leanings----have never been interested in letting cycles lane split. In LA I can see why the police would ignore it. There's just too many of you doing it.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
i wouldnt have a bike if i couldnt lane split, if carried out at sensible speeds making sure other drivers are aware, its not dangerous,(lets face it who cant see a v strom comin?)

M

·
0 Posts
revel22 said:
Obviously, a good law. And I'm sure that law would be enforced here. Its just that our State legislature---despite their historic liberal leanings----have never been interested in letting cycles lane split. In LA I can see why the police would ignore it. There's just too many of you doing it.
The police don't ignore it, it is legal. A long time ago, before my arrival here in Ca. Motorcycle groups lobbied the California Legislature to allow the practice of lane splitting. Because of the constant heat, as well as miserable traffic, alot of the air cooled bikes were overheating while stuck in traffic. Because of the damages that were occuring the Legislature ( my understanding of the situation) passed legislation allowing cyclists to split lanes. I would hate to have to push a 900lb PIG (...errr Hog) out of lanes when its air cooled motor gave up. Of course my bike is Water/Oil cooled and only weighs 450lbs. but that's just good decision making there. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts