StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden several bikes and own 4, most recently a 96 Triumph T bird. What I notice is how heavy and stiff they all handle. When I ride my wee I honestly have to say it handles better than any other bike I've ridden. The Hayabusa was good but not AS good. The only way it would be better is if you could steer by thoughts alone. What those HD guys are missing ...

·
Registered
552 Posts
The V handles OK. My buddy from Florida who rode mine went home and bought another bike. He has V-Maxes and a Harley. After riding a bike that was light and handled well he decided it was time for a change.

Harley's and other so called street cruisers scare the beegeebers out of me! I don't know how people ride those bikes. Now, the Wee being the best handling bike I ever road...well...I won't go that far but I will say it handles just fine. It also does well in the wind. One of the things that does make it feel like it handles well is the balance of power and weight. Suzuki got this bike right.

Now my Triumph 1050 with the PR2's, that's a nice handling bike. I would bet that with better tires and some suspension upgrades the Wee would be improved. But I have to agree that the Wee is a pleasant bike to ride as is.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
For normal riding I completely agree. Nice neutral steering, light turn in, holds a line well, just a beautifully well balanced feeling to the bike.
Even for sport riding, up to an 80-85% pace, things are pretty good. Push it much beyond that though, and it's apparent that it's no Ducati or GSX-R750. :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I also think the wee strom handles great, much better than most people think when looking at it. Coming from an SV650, I was amazed at how much smoother I was to carving corners. It falls easily into corners, it handles better than my Aprilia Mana too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2007 was typically squishy in the forks and had anemic rear brake pads - with Sonic springs, a 5/8" maximum fork drop and equivalent dogbones, and semi-metallic EBC pads in back, this bike is as perfect for all the demands of DDing. I also added some of Larry's peg drop brackets and that made a nice difference too. A set of Tourances (original) finishes this great combination for low cost and great street performance. Viva la V-Strom!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
What those HD guys are missing ...
I know more than my share of Harley Purists, they don't want to know what they're missing.

I think some dare not try other bikes, lest they be tempted away from the cult and suffer the derision and humiliation of their peers.

I've ridden bikes that handle better but suffer from medieval ergonomics and I've ridden bikes that handle much worse and suffer from gynecological ergonomics.

If I was in the market for casual sex with semi-retired strippers with subsance-abuse issues, I'd opt for the gyno-ergos.

The V-Strom puts my feet where they belong (under by butt) and keeps my spine relatively straight which offers the best compromise between performance and all-day comfort.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have had a couple of bikes with hot-handling pretensions, but I say my Vee K7 is the best handling bike I've ever owned--it is effortless to change lines in a curve, which makes unknown curves less of a risk. The grip in curves is high, and I have no problem leaning er over. On a racetrack it may not seem to be the fastest of the fast, but on the street or hiway it does extremely well. It all boils down to the rider's confidence level. My confidence is higher on the strom than previous bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've ridden several bikes and own 4, most recently a 96 Triumph T bird. What I notice is how heavy and stiff they all handle. When I ride my wee I honestly have to say it handles better than any other bike I've ridden. The Hayabusa was good but not AS good. The only way it would be better is if you could steer by thoughts alone. What those HD guys are missing ...
If you want to experience "handling", you owe it to yourself to ride a Buell. I have said before that a motorcycle will go where you look, but a Buell goes where you think.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Every bike offers something different and depending on your needs, there is a bike for you. Bashing Harleys is just an exercise in futility. It's interpreted as jealousy or ignorance. I've owned 2 Harleys, 2 BMW's, a Honda VFR and now a 2011 VStrom. I honestly like the Wee overall the best but each of the other rides offered something different. The Harley offers an incomparable visceral affect which very few other bikes have. It's not the best at anything! It just feels really cool to ride one. The finish on the bike is also really nice. Same goes for Ducati. You guys need to relax a bit about bashing anyone else's ride. As long as it has 2 wheels and an engine, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
615 Posts
With good street tires the Wee is by far the friendliest handling bike I have ever ridden. That's what I'd say, "friendly". It is a puppy dog, fun, easy, casual. It is a very sweet riding scoot.

It is hardly the best handling bike out there. It is too tall to be the best handling bike made but the too tall part is one of the main things that make it what it is, a very easy bike to ride.

The Wee has very budget minded suspension components. No bike with such inexpensive components is ready off the showroom floor to handle at it's best. How many threads are there on springs and shocks?

The Wee is one of those bikes that a good rider can get on and very easily ride close to their best. I wonder how many sportbikes have been completely embarrassed by a good rider on a Wee?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You guys need to relax a bit about bashing anyone else's ride. As long as it has 2 wheels and an engine, enjoy the ride.
Just for the record, I'd like to point out that I was not bashing Harley motorcycles. I was, however, bashing the closed-mindedness exhibited by many Harley enthusiast I have met or may know personally.

I've ridden many HD's and while I agree that there is a certain visceral feeling in the operation of one, eventually, for me at least, it becomes an unexciting anachronistically agricultural experience. If that is what you like, fine. But I really get tired of explaining to otherwise seemingly rational people that this antiquated design is not in fact, the ultimate expression of motorcycling technology.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Stromin I couldn't agree more. I've also met BMW guys with a bit of an attitude as well. I think we all have a bit of pride for our ride.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bashing Harleys is just an exercise in futility.
Not quite sure how pointing out that Harley's are not known for their handling is "bashing". My Toyota Tundra doesn't handle all that well either. I would venture to guess that most Tundra enthusiasts would agree with this and not accuse me of bashing. If you enjoy riding a Harley, that's great. Not my cup of tea, but let's not get so sensitive that someone can't point out that a Strom handles better than a Harley without feathers getting ruffled.

It's interpreted as jealousy or ignorance.
Now that's funny! Thanks for the Saturday morning laugh. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wasn't pointing to any singular post, just an overall attitude. As far as being sensitive, I enjoy all the interaction I've had here on the website. Even when I disagree. I've found Strom owners to be some of the most friendly knowlegdeable bike owners around. All is good. I think your Tundra probably handles better than a Harley as well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cost

The last 4 bikes that I owned were BMW's, and without bashing anybody, I find that based on dollars spent, the Wee has turned out to be the Best Handling Bike for the Money.

We can all be guilty of spending a ton of dollars or euros to make our bikes handle better, but based on stock to stock comparison (and for the money), the Wee was the first bike to put a grin on my face in a long time.

I'm a believer!

T...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Best ________ Bike for the Money.

V-Strom: the absolue, undisputed, unqualified, ultimate best....................

.................for the money.

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
V-Strom: the absolue, undisputed, unqualified, ultimate best....................

.................for the money.
Bikes are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. If I wanted another bike that was way more money badly enough I would buy it; but I really haven't found another bike at any price that turns my crank as much as riding my little Strom does (having said that I will likely buy the new Strom next year.)

I know many here talk about price, and really the Strom is a great bike for the price, but not everyone here has bought it just based on the price. I can't think of any other bike regardless of price that I would rather ride.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Just for the record, I'd like to point out that I was not bashing Harley motorcycles. I was, however, bashing the closed-mindedness exhibited by many Harley enthusiast I have met or may know personally.

I've ridden many HD's and while I agree that there is a certain visceral feeling in the operation of one, eventually, for me at least, it becomes an unexciting anachronistically agricultural experience. If that is what you like, fine. But I really get tired of explaining to otherwise seemingly rational people that this antiquated design is not in fact, the ultimate expression of motorcycling technology.
Since you didn't mention it and many here may not be aware: your observations are based on intimate knowledge seeing as your (much!) better half rides a Harley.

..Tom

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
I also think the wee strom handles great, much better than most people think when looking at it. Coming from an SV650, I was amazed at how much smoother I was to carving corners. It falls easily into corners, it handles better than my Aprilia Mana too.
as much as I like my little SV, I think its twitchy, always having to make steering corrections, the strom, while it can't manuver as quickly, its more than adequate

mostly the difference between a 17" and 19" front hoop

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have always wanted to ride a stretched out chopper just to see what it is like. I cannot imagine anything handling worse than that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts