1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When: 13-16 May, 2010

Where: Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge, Stecoah. NC

GPS Coordinates: N35 23.358 W83 40.665

They are holding all rooms & cabins for us until the end of February, so make your own reservations ASAP. Tell them your with the VStrom group.

Their web site: http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

I'll try and answer a few common questions:

1. Folks will be arriving mostly on Thursday (13th) & Friday (14th). Most will depart Sunday morning.

2. If camping, no reservations are required. I would ask that you post your intentions in this thread so we can get a fair count for meals.

3. Wifes, girlfriends & kids welcome. Although there isn't a lot for them to do if not riding.

Great Smokey Montain Railroad
City of Cherokee

4. All bikes are welcome, even Harley's. ;)

5. Most group rides will be on Friday & Saturday. GPS routes will be posted down the road a peice. Some route maps will be available at the lodge.

6. Breakfast & Dinners are served at Ironhorse (good stuff). Lunch your on your own unless prior arrangements are made.

7. Dry county, so bring your own if so inclined. Ice & coolers available for a small fee. Closest available is Bryson City, about 17 miles.

8. Coffee is available around 7AM. Iced Tea & coffee in the evenings after dinner.

9. Kickstands up around 9AM for Friday & Saturday rides. Ride meeting Thursday & Friday nights around 8:30.

10. Main meeting & door prizes Saturday Night around 8:30. I probably won't mess with sponsors/door prizes this time around.

11. There are other motels & campgrounds in the area if you procrastinate too long.

12. I am not planing any tech sessions, must ride, not work. I will have my Yosh Box with for evening tuning sessions on Thu - Sat.

13. This is the year for no rain.

Hope to see you all there.

Door Prize Sponsors: I probably won't mess with sponsors this time around.

Here are some other accommodations in the area of Ironhorse.

2.1 miles - Kickstand Lodge
6.2 miles - Tuskeegee Motel
8.6 miles - Freeman's Motel
11.2 miles - Nantahala Village
12.5 miles - Microtel
14.8 miles - Cold Springs Country Inn
15.1 miles - Two Wheel inn
16.9 miles - Fontana Village
18.5 miles - Blue Waters Mountain Lodge
21.0 miles - Treetops
22.8 miles - Deals Gap
23.7 miles - Tapoco Lodge

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Iron Horse

Been there in 2009 and 2008.
The facilities at the IR and the folks that run it are great.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'm gonna be the first to commit, even if it's a date what dozen exist.

I may have to bail at the last minute anyways, but such is my miserable lot in life.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Plan to Attend.

I have already reserved my spot in the Cabins. Thanks for putting this Event together. Looking forward to making some new V-Strom friends and riding these awesome roads !!

See ya there.

Jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
S.E. PA Strommers to VSRI Rally @ Iron Horse

I'd like to get a group of S.E. PA Strommers (et. al) to go down to the VSRI Strom-East Rally at Iron Horse this Spring (May 13-16, 2010). I got my reservations in already.

Here's my tentative plan:
1. Travel down Thursday May 13 to the Asheville area (600 miles); yes it's a long day in the saddle - wheels up about 7am from EXTON PA area (Exton Mall or PA Trnpk 312 exit). I usually cut over PA Trpk to Carisle and then rip down I-81 to I-77 to BRP into Asheville; this year I may cut off I-81 at Roanoke and then hit BRP-depending on weather, etc.
2. Friday May 14, head over early to Iron Horse and ride the Dragon [late AM or early PM], Cherahola Skyway, etc.
3. Saturday May 15 do group rides, etc.
4. Check out Sunday May 16 and head north.

I'll be cutting up thru WV to go to western MD to visit my parents, so others can migrate back to SE PA as appropriate.

PM me or drop me an e-mail.
Don <[email protected]>

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well the boss says I can go :hurray:, so this will go on the calendar. I would head up on Friday. As it gets closer will try to form a group ride from Atlanta.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Just made my cabin reservations for the 2010 Rain & Hail Vstrom Get-Together. Don't know if Dirt Mom will be there or not. But I will have brand new foul weather gear and be ready to ride. Humm, wonder if an Alabama day ride is workable.

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
Just made my cabin reservations for the 2010 Rain & Hail Vstrom Get-Together. Don't know if Dirt Mom will be there or not. But I will have brand new foul weather gear and be ready to ride. Humm, wonder if an Alabama day ride is workable.
That was a great ride in 2009 and I am looking forwards to a repeat.. especialy the double lane switchback!

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
That was a great ride in 2009 and I am looking forwards to a repeat.. especialy the double lane switchback!
I agree, that worked out to be an excellent ride. I'm thinking it might be fun to do the same ride in reverse. I looked at the Alabama thing and don't think it could be done in under 350 miles. Probably a bit longer than it's worth.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just checked my calendar and it turns out I picked these days off simply by coincidence. So for now I'll say me and my slow, loud Harley will be there. Feel free to point and laugh, just make sure you guys wait for me at the turn-offs and gravel roads!!! :)

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
Just checked my calendar and it turns out I picked these days off simply by coincidence. So for now I'll say me and my slow, loud Harley will be there. Feel free to point and laugh, just make sure you guys wait for me at the turn-offs and gravel roads!!! :)
If I recall correctly there wasn't all that much waiting for you..

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
just make sure you guys wait for me at the turn-offs and gravel roads!!! :)
My bad. I really only expected one gravel part, and I thought we had that worked out. The turn off, I'll take the blame for that one, too. That said, the way you and Mike rode those sometimes steep and deep gravelly roads, and the fact you foolishly followed me up a mountain in a massive hail strom (with a slick tire harley) puts you in my Adventure Rider Hall of Fame. You are always exempted from my past and future Harley bitching.

I haven't worked out any courses yet, but I thought last year's was pretty good and worth reversing (minus the dirt roads). Don't have any fresh ideas for the other day yet. I just know I don't feel compelled to ride the Dragon. There are just so many better and less congested roads down there.

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
1 - 20 of 329 Posts