1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When: 14-17 May, 2009

Where: Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge, Stecoah. NC

GPS Coordinates: N35 23.358 W83 40.665

They are holding all rooms & cabins for us until the end of February, so make your own reservations ASAP. Tell them your with the VStrom group. :)

Their web site: http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

I'll try and answer a few common questions:

1. Folks will be arriving mostly on Thursday (14th) & Friday (15th). Most will depart Sunday morning.

2. If camping, no reservations are required. I would ask that you post your intentions in this thread so we can get a fair count for meals.

3. Wifes, girlfriends & kids welcome. Although there isn't a lot for them to do if not riding.

4. All bikes are welcome, even Harley's. :D

5. Most group rides will be on Friday & Saturday. GPS routes will be posted down the road a peice. Some route maps will be available at the lodge.

6. Breakfast & Dinners are served at Ironhorse (good stuff). Lunch your on your own unless prior arrangements are made.

7. Dry county, so bring your own if so inclined. Ice & coolers available for a small fee. Closest available is Bryson City, about 17 miles.

8. Coffee is available around 7AM. Iced Tea & coffee in the evenings after dinner.

9. Kickstands up around 9AM for Friday & Saturday rides.

10. There are other motels & campgrounds in the area if you procrastinate too long.

11. I am not planing any tech sessions, must ride, not work. I will have my Yosh Box with for evening tuning sessions on Thu - Sat.

12. Garry promises no rain this year.

Hope to see you all there.

Here are some other accommodations in the area of Ironhorse.

2.1 miles - Kickstand Lodge
6.2 miles - Tuskeegee Motel
8.6 miles - Freeman's Motel
11.2 miles - Nantahala Village
12.5 miles - Microtel
14.8 miles - Cold Springs Country Inn
15.1 miles - Two Wheel inn
16.9 miles - Fontana Village
21.0 miles - Treetops
22.8 miles - Deals Gap
23.7 miles - Tapoco Lodge

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I want to make it badly. I will try to sort out the time off when it gets closer. No V-Strom anymore, but I've been wanting to try out my Dyna on a trip like this.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
MZ,

Which Dyna do you have?
Hope to see you there.

Norm

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I bought a 2005 Dyna Super Glide Custom. It's a really nice ride, never thought I'd enjoy the HD thing, but it's really a fun bike. Hope to see you there too Norm. Really a fun time this trip, I recommend it to anyone. That Ironhorse is a real quality establishment.

·
Administrator
16,984 Posts
Poop......can't make it, I'll be fishing in Northern Ontario!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I plan to be there.
Thanks to those who organized the event.

I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
I can sell uptown
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely Dental Floss

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I bought a 2005 Dyna Super Glide Custom.
Come on Dan...a Harley? I thought you gave up on bikes that break down. Hope to see you down there. I think I'll have Dirt Mom with me. She's been averaging over 1000 miles a month on the bike so this should be no problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I attended a BMW event at the Ironhorse, great place! I didn't stay there, I stayed at the Two Wheel Inn, also a nice place if the Ironhorse files up. Just checked my schedule & I'll be at work so I'll miss it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Come on Dan...a Harley? I thought you gave up on bikes that break down. Hope to see you down there. I think I'll have Dirt Mom with me. She's been averaging over 1000 miles a month on the bike so this should be no problem.

Yeah yeah yeah. So far it's been solid as a rock. :) Looking forward to my first long trip on it.

I'm going to try my best. Great time last year.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What rides are planned for fri and sat? Ive always wanted to ride the dragon if down that way.
Last year we just kinda broke up into smaller groups and did our own things. They handed out these real simple maps of the area, and we just picked a huge loop. You can't find a bad road down there, that's for sure. We did the dragon a couple of times, you certainly don't want to miss that one, but I actually preferred the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last year we just kinda broke up into smaller groups and did our own things. They handed out these real simple maps of the area, and we just picked a huge loop. You can't find a bad road down there, that's for sure. We did the dragon a couple of times, you certainly don't want to miss that one, but I actually preferred the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If I make it Im thinking of bringing that down.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If I make it Im thinking of bringing that down.

That's a great idea. I think I'm going to ride the FZ1 down. V-Strom or not, this is a great event.

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
The roads and people were/are great down there!

My only real disappointment last year was that there was no knowing what was going on. No announcements of any meetings, or prizes being given out, or of any group rides. It was dissapointing as there were a nlot of people that I had comunicated with that wouldhave been nice to meet.

The organizers said they wouldn't let it happen this time.

I suggest that we establish ahead of time a general meeting time, say after dinner at 8 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, for us all to meet up and talk about what might be going on. As well, it would be nice to have a part of the Bulletin board set aside for us to communicate while there (ie: group ride leaving 9am Saturday meet out front, Off road ride leaving 1 pm, etc)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The roads and people were/are great down there!

My only real disappointment last year was that there was no knowing what was going on. No announcements of any meetings, or prizes being given out, or of any group rides. It was dissapointing as there were a nlot of people that I had comunicated with that wouldhave been nice to meet.

The organizers said they wouldn't let it happen this time.

I suggest that we establish ahead of time a general meeting time, say after dinner at 8 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, for us all to meet up and talk about what might be going on. As well, it would be nice to have a part of the Bulletin board set aside for us to communicate while there (ie: group ride leaving 9am Saturday meet out front, Off road ride leaving 1 pm, etc)

..Tom
Yeah, that's true. Ken and I rode down together (Handyhiker) so we just kinda picked up a couple others to ride with us. Bill (grey haired guy from NC) Shawn (that guy that was riding back to NW Canada) and Dirt Dad, we just kinda hooked up, not sure why really. But you're right. Either way, it's all good, hell, if you can't find somewhere fun to go around there, well, no one can help ya :) This year, ya won't miss me, I'll probably be the only one without a V-Strom :)

Here's some pictures I took last year.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts