Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Twelfth Annual V-Strom Gathering East is scheduled for May 15-18 2014, held at the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC.

The Ironhorse will hold all of the rooms and cabins for our event until January 14th, so make your reservations ASAP (phone 828-479-3864). Tell them you are with the V-Strom group.

For those not familiar with the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge; it offers private rooms, semi-private rooms, bunkhouses, cabins, RV hook ups, and tent camping sites. All sleeping areas are within 200 feet of the lodge. The lodge is equipped with a massive projection TV, dining area, game area, a theater room, tons of maps of the area, a computer, free internet, a gift shop/store, a huge back porch with rocking chairs, a fire pit, and very nice showers and restrooms. Breakfast and dinner are served on site. Everything there is FIRST CLASS!

A few other things...

Tent campers do not need to make reservations.

If you make reservations or plan to tent camp, please post in this thread for planning purposes.

The Ironhorse is in a dry county so bring your own, if you are so inclined.

Folks will arrive Thursday (15th) and Friday (16th). Most head home Sunday morning.

Most group rides will be Friday and Saturday.

All bikes are welcome.

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/index.html

Hope to see you there!
Todd

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'll be camping. I'll most likely start my ride the weekend before and do some camping at Willville, Blue ridge MC campground, or TWoS in Georgia---just in case someone want to join up early.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Rally.......

The Ironhorse will hold all of the rooms and cabins for our event until January 14th, so make your reservations ASAP (phone 828-479-3864). Tell them you are with the V-Strom group.

Take note of this date. The IH will open up their lodging to the General Motorcycle Public which might mean "another" group (think, Saving Lives here...:mrgreen:) and we Stromers could become a minority that weekend. I don't mean to sound anti-social, but if you are on the fence about going, reserve a room anyway before Jan 14, then cancel later (or sell it to a vstrom member who is looking for a room 1 month prior to the event......always happens).

If you have never been to this Rally, go back thru the Events archives and look at some of the pics of previous rallies at the IH. We typically have a great time!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but if you are on the fence about going, reserve a room anyway before Jan 14, then cancel later (or sell it to a vstrom member who is looking for a room 1 month prior to the event......always happens).
Here is the Ironhorse Reservation Policy:

To reserve your room, cabin, or bunkhouse contact the Ironhorse at 828-479-3864 or by email ([email protected]).
-60 days prior to arrival you will be charged a one night deposit
-60 to 31 days prior to arrival, cancellation will result in your deposit returned less $20
-30 days prior to arrival, cancellation will result in forfeiting your deposit

As you can see, you can book now and have plenty of time to make your final decision.

The Ironhorse WILL fill up, and quickly once our "hold" is released. So make your reservation now.

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ironhorse is in a dry county but you can buy and bring in. They have coolers there and ice for rent/use. The Nantahala outdoor center has very nice set up on the river with tables, hammocks, draft and craft beer. This is a very good spot to hang out after rideing a few hundred miles...just in case nobody knew :fineprint:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will put this on my calendar. I will be camping. Can't wait, something to look forward to that will get me through the winter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm also looking at this, I will be camping...........:thumbup:..........TD

·
Registered
12 Posts
VStrom Gathering East

My wife and I are thinking of riding our storms (both 650) and attending but I have some questions. Is the riding on road, off road or both? How long to the rides tend to be (in miles)?

Bill Morrissey

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
Yes. :mrgreen:

I don't know what is planned for this year, but last year everyone kind of planned their own ride or got together on their own and did their group ride. I did on road only last year; Friday the Tail, Foothills, and Smokey Mts including Clingman's Dome; Saturday the Cherohala over and back, with a stops at Tellico and Bald River Falls; and then Sunday the Road to No Where.

Here's the website for the 2014 Gathering that is being setup and has some of the many possible routes: Rides - 2014 Eastern V-Strom Gathering

Come on down, I am sure you will have a good time and the Iron Horse is a great place to stay.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Bill...........just as Stalky mentions, the "Organized Group Ride" is pretty much in name only. People make new friends every year at the Rally.......someone says "you wanna ride with us today", and that's how group rides are started. Unfortunately (or maybe "fortunately", depends on how you look at it), no one actually stands up and says "I'm going to lead a group today, who's in"?? Lots of folks are cautious about riding in groups (of more than 4, let's say) with riders they don't know............not knowing their braking/riding habits, stagger formations, riding too close to others, etc. Everyone has there own opinion of how others should ride in a group, and usually this equals out when friends who know each other, ride together. I would say maybe 1/4 of our rally bunch do any real dirt riding during the rally, the other 3/4's stay on the tarmac. Some of best riding roads in the SE are all within a 200 miles radius of the Iron Horse........if you come, you will ride!!
As the rally gets closer, more details will be posted of activities, schedules, night-life fun, etc. We have had at least one Canook at the rally the last few years.......this year it could be you (and your's)!!!!!! Put it on the schedule.....make a reservation if you don't tent camp......you can always cancell later.......or, someone will be looking for a dry place to sleep after all the rooms are taken, you could sell them your reservation if you decide not to come down.
mark444

1 - 20 of 340 Posts