StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves riding pillion on my DL1000 and wants to get one for herself (DL650). Problem is, she's about a 28" inseam and has trouble touching the ground on tippy-toes on mine.

Is the six-fiddy shorter? What are all the tricks that can be used to make one shorter? Any "smaller-statured" riders here that could give us some pointers? thanks!

-Dave

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With lowering links, the short seat and maybe boots with heels, she should get pretty close to flat footed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wee is shorter

According to test report I read on 650 it is 1 1/2 inches shorter than the 1000. I have 30" inseam and have no problem. She should sit on a 650 and see how it fits. With possible adjustments and thick shoes it has possibilities.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
MDStrommer said:
My wife loves riding pillion on my DL1000 and wants to get one for herself (DL650). Problem is, she's about a 28" inseam and has trouble touching the ground on tippy-toes on mine.

Is the six-fiddy shorter? What are all the tricks that can be used to make one shorter? Any "smaller-statured" riders here that could give us some pointers? thanks!

-Dave
There are a lot of shorter riders on the 650, <5'8", <30" inseam. Not all of them :) have lowered their suspension to ride the Strom.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've got a 30" inseam and I ride a DL1000, I've even raised it up for more ground clearance, I don't understand why everybody is so concerned about touching the ground, I balance mine on my toes.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
805gregg said:
I've got a 30" inseam and I ride a DL1000, I've even raised it up for more ground clearance, I don't understand why everybody is so concerned about touching the ground, I balance mine on my toes.
Are you being serious??????? :shock: Have a little oil or grit at a stop, while being on your toes....you'll wish you were more flat footed!

Best of luck to ya! :wink:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
If you can't find a lowered 650 to try on, you can improvise as follows:

The KoubaLinks drop the height by 1 1/8"

The 650 seat is a little over 3/4" lower than the 1000

Total height change is 1 7/8"

A "2X4" is about 1 1/2" thick, so you could lay a 2X4 on top of a piece of 3/8" plywood on either side of your DL1000, and have her see if she can comfortably balance the bike with her feet on the boards. Obviously, you'd have to do this carefully to avoid an "oops."

Is she an experienced rider? There are some on this forum who have strong opinions on whether the Wee is appropriate for an inexperienced rider, especially if there is a height issue. If you have the time, see: http://stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5143

Tim

·
Registered
961 Posts
Big B said:
805gregg said:
Are you being serious??????? :shock: Have a little oil or grit at a stop, while being on your toes....you'll wish you were more flat footed!

Took the DL to Baja not going get any more gritty than that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
MDStrommer said:

-Dave
Has she sat on an SV650? Since they share the same engine, it might be something she could consider.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
805gregg said:
Big B said:
805gregg said:

Took the DL to Baja not going get any more gritty than that.
Baja riders and motocross riders usually are short...but they also almost NEVER have a need to touch the ground with both feet. :wink: The asphalt jungle is ALLOT different, as you already know!

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable, not being able to at least put down the whole front of my feet on the pavement.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bunker said:

A "2X4" is about 1 1/2" thick, so you could lay a 2X4 on top of a piece of 3/8" plywood on either side of your DL1000, and have her see if she can comfortably balance the bike with her feet on the boards. Obviously, you'd have to do this carefully to avoid an "oops."

Is she an experienced rider? There are some on this forum who have strong opinions on whether the Wee is appropriate for an inexperienced rider, especially if there is a height issue. If you have the time, see: http://stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5143

Tim
Thanks for the info Bunker. She used to ride Harleys and was in a motorcycle club in Baltimore (her dad was very active) so I guess you could say she's experienced, but like me, a "returning" rider as we have both been away from the sport for a while. I don't have any qualms about her riding a DL650 as a "first" (returning) bike as she rode my old Yamaha Seca for years with no problems. It'd be nice to have matching bikes, but she really doesn't care as long as it can be used for some light/medium distance touring. Another contender may be a used Kwasaki Concours. I guess we just need to get her out and have her sit on a bunch of bikes and see what she is comfortable on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If she can handle a Concours, she can certainly handle a Wee Strom. I have a bout a 27.5 inch inseam. I can handle the Wee Strom easily with the stick seat and set up. I added the gel seat and it is about 1 inch taller (just like the 1000 - the seat is the only difference in height between the 1000 and 650) and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I added the Kouba link and no problem at all. Can I flat foot the bike? No. There are few bikes I can flat foot. No problem. The weight makes a big difference. 450 pounds on my toes beats 900 pounds on the balls of my feet (I ride a RS Venture two up). The importance of flat footing is over emphasized IMHO.

Just Bill

Just Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bunker said:

Tim
I remember that topic well Bunker.

I think your idea of using timber to "simulate" the height difference, is a GREAT idea. And probably one of the best responses to this question, as a starting point. I think the rest becomes a matter of opinion, and each to their own...
MDStrommer, I am also vertically challenged, about 29" inseam. I installed the lowering links, and adjusted the front end accordingly. My confidence with flat footing the bike increased a lot, which made me enjoy the bike even more. Both of these adjustments are easily reversible, at a later time if I decide to. Suits me fine, and I love finding a reason to go for a ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your wife loves your bike and likes the handling, then go fo the Wee. She'll like the agile handling of it.

As a fellow girl, I can say that the Wee Strom is certainly appealing because it gives so much for those of us who want to use the bike for more than short city jaunts.

I know a lot of people have strong opinions on whether or not the Wee is good for beginners. I say if she loves the bike and it's reasonably fittable, then get it. She'll enjoy it a lot more than a bike she can't really stand. I'm a beginner rider and I lowered my Strom, and have been having a blast with it.

For personal reference on the lowering part, all I did was raise the forks, soften the suspension, and I made sure to get sturdy boots with a somewhat heavy bottom to them. I can almost completely flatfoot the bike, with a very small tilt, as is. I'm going to get a custom seat to lower it a half inch more and to make it more comfy, and I won't have to lean the bike at all.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
MDStrommer said:

-Dave
Dave,
I live in Clarksville and if your wife wants to try a 650 you are welcome to try mine. Its been lowered 3/4". The only problem is that I have a Russell seat which is a good 1" talled then stock making the bike a little bit taller then stock 650. I have a 29" inseam and can touch the ground pretty well but not flatfoot it.

Wingman

·
Registered
78 Posts
2006 lowered for my wife.

I have lowered a 650 for my wife. She is only 5'2".

Kouba lowering links
Forks raised in clamps
rubber bumpers removed from under the seat
suspension set soft for more sag
Bars tilted back as far as possible

I ride the bike on occasion, and with all the mods it still handles like it should.

So far she has rode the bike around a thousand miles with a few gravel roads mixed in, and she loves it!!

I think there is a picture of her bike on about page 4 of the show us your strom thread.

My point is this, the bike can be fitted to the smallest of people and is a great bike to learn on.

Ride Safe and Ride Hard!!!!!!!

SFS

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wingman said:
MDStrommer said:

-Dave
Dave,
I live in Clarksville and if your wife wants to try a 650 you are welcome to try mine. Its been lowered 3/4". The only problem is that I have a Russell seat which is a good 1" talled then stock making the bike a little bit taller then stock 650. I have a 29" inseam and can touch the ground pretty well but not flatfoot it.

Wingman
Hell Wingman, you're practically a next-door neighbor! I may take you up on that offer.

Thanks for all the info from everyone!

-David

·
Registered
369 Posts
MDStrommer said:
Hell Wingman, you're practically a next-door neighbor! I may take you up on that offer.
Any time. Just drop me a PM and I'll give you my info.

Wingman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts