StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently started a thread about the cam chain breaking on my 06 vee. Once tore down, we found that the rotor magnets are broken and moving around,

A friend of mine has an 06 vee also. He was worried about his cam chains, decided to tear it down and take a look///////////////HIS rotor magnets are also broken and loose.

SO another friend of mine with an 06, took a look at his...............guess what............rotor magnets loose, none broke yet.

All bikes around 40 to 45k in miles.
I found two or three other documented issues when searching about this.

Anyone else finding this issue:confused:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,464 Posts
Yes, there are others with this issue. What I find odd is that no Wee (650) owners have had this problem. I think their rotor is a similar design. Have any of the bikes mentioned had/have a bad case of clutch chudder? I am wondering if the vibes from the chudder are a factor? Broken magnets are a concern, even though mine had "moved" they were very hard to pull loose from the rotor. To break it looks like they would have to become separated from the rotor and contact the stator?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I fear that myself

If you have broken magnets the entire motor should be torn down and cleaned blown out. You couldn't in good conscious just slap it together with chunks of metal flying around

There have been a few reports of 650 loose magnets but it is almost exclusively a 1000 issue.

People have reglued them but remember not to use metal filed epoxies like jb weld between the magnets because it would "short" out the magnetic field.

Various theories abound, I am partial to prolonged high temperature and perhaps aggravated by low thick oil. I also fear synthetic oils but will still use them. If you are handy then peeking in that area at at least 30000 miles would be prudent. Also for darkened stator windings

·
5,464 Posts
People have reglued them but remember not to use metal filed epoxies like jb weld between the magnets because it would "short" out the magnetic field.
JB Weld would be my first choice for the magnet repair. It has proven to be exceptionally stable in this type of environment. Good for continuous heat of 500 degrees and once cured it is impervious to almost any petroleum product. I use JB Weld in a magnet application currently and have had zero issues with it effecting the magnetic field. It IS attracted to the magnet, and that makes it fun to keep it in the proper place till it begins to set up.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Some one had taken the obvious tack of filling the area between the magnets so it would be harder for them to shift. The JB weld iron filler I believe had the result of having the lines of flux go through the jb weld rather than out into space to intersect the coils.

Epic fail like max 11 volts out

·
5,464 Posts
I think there were other problems involved with that particular unit. JB Weld does not conduct electricity according to their website. There is very little iron in the formula I suspect. Maybe just enough to make magnets like it!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
metal filed epoxies like jb weld between the magnets because it would "short" out the magnetic field.
The JB weld iron filler I believe had the result of having the lines of flux go through the jb weld rather than out into space to intersect the coils.
In an industrial alternator the pole pieces, around which the field winding are wound, are laminated steel plates. The metal-filled epoxy would just fill in gaps in the iron magnets. It is possible in the rotor that put out low voltage that the person who glued the magnets back on did not alternate the North and South poles of the magnets (yes, that's what they're called, and a troubleshooting electrician may have a little compass in his tool box).

Alternator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I think iron laminations due steer the magnetic flux and the flux emanates around them. My brain sought out right hand rule.

Odd as it sounds I guess if you put NS together that the flux lines would be powerful and tight. NN repelling might cause lines of flux to spread out. I am not at all sure whether the permanent rotor magnets are magnetized left / right or along the length. Either way for them to induce a current the lines of flux have to intersect the coils.

I am sure that our unknown confrère was smart enough to put them back the way they came out.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The steel laminations of a pole piece reduce eddy currents. (Side note--I had some winches where the 50 hp DC motors were impossible to find replacements and were costing about $20k to repair and rewind. Someone came up with some motors that were identical except they had solid iron pole pieces--everything else identical and they only put out 35 hp.)

It is entirely possible that the permanent magnets were removed for cleaning and glued back in the wrong order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shouldn't that rotor be balanced??? Just re-glueing the magnets somehow, seems that it would really create an issue. I guess it would be no worse then them sliding around:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my rotor magnets come 'unglued' and caused a lot of fluctuation in the electrical system. I first thought that it was the stator going bad or the rectifier. After replacing both and the battery, I still could not find the problem in the electrical abnormality. My meter was still all over the gauge and with the bike would not run or start and not stay running. So, off to the local shop and within 15 minutes they found the magnets were the culprit. I had seen the magnets spacing was 'off-set' when I changed the stator but, they were stuck on pretty well and did not move when touched so their looseness and out of alignment did not alert me to the problem. I doubt that the magnets could come completely loose from the rotor due to their strong magnetic attraction to the rotor. THEY said that the glue comes undone due to overheating. When I told them that my bike has never over heated...THEY said that it was from using the wrong kind of oil or not changing it....??????? I said BS! and TOLD them it could be as simple as a BAD GLUE job from the FACTORY...!!!! :headbang::furious: The “stealer”ships must think we are idiots (and this comes from the only motorbike shop I trust) and will say anything to cover their buts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts