StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
slovcan, I had a Super Tenere I loved. Set up perfectly. I hit a deer and a culvert and got hurt pretty bad. My point being when the insurance guy did the write up, the bike was worth what I paid for it new, 3 years previous. Every accessory was valued at full price. If a part had a scratch on it, new part price was applied. I took the settlement and bought a 3 year newer model and put the same new kit on it as my old one.

I was still recovering when I bought my new Tenere over the phone and the dealer delivered it to my house. I was barely well enough to get outside to see it, but damn that new bike made me feel good about life again.

Bikes are replaceable, concentrate on getting your bones fixed correctly. I had to go back and have my wrist sliced open again, to remove some busted hardware and the plates. The trauma surgeon did not do the best work on me.

Out with the old
2013.JPG

in with the new (they had just unloaded it in my driveway) and even better farkles this time
2015.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Gosh Glen, hate to read this. "Life", as we know it, can be changed in a second.......I hope yours gets back to normal sooner than expected, and this is a just a bump in the road.
mark444

·
Registered
496 Posts
please someone set up the go fund me page. I am, useless at it.

I have already sent Glenn an oil drain plug attachment (done;t ask) and a Bales oil filter adapter. I think that's all i have left, b ut I will look and see if there's any more parts i don't need.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Glad to hear you came out of it alive, I hope for a full recovery. Take care of yourself, put your energy into healing and rehab, don't worry about the bike, those are easy to replace.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am sorry. Also very happy you are here posting! I guess if you can't wrench then surf to pass the time. Hey get the Long Way DVD's and get ready the new one coming soon.

·
Administrator
5,727 Posts
So sorry to hear of this accident Glenn.
I hope that you have a full recovery. The bike is the easy bit. Keep us informed how you and the bike are getting along and if you need help with the bike.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Speedy recovery slovcan! Thank you for telling us about this unfortunate incident as its another good reminder to assume absolutely nothing when riding in traffic. Sometimes you can do everything right and still get clobbered. Also a good reminder of the value of wearing quality protective equipment! Hopefully you will be back on two wheels for the Fall riding season if not sooner!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you all so very much! I am determined to keep her and replace what needs replacing. She was perfect and has very low mileage (43,000 kms - ~26,000 miles). Thank you David for everything. I wouldn't dream of starting her now before a fluid change. Also, I am glad now that you gave me the original windscreen. I can use that as a stopgap measure until I figure out how to replace it. The 2002-2003 windscreens are different, I think, and WindStrom are no longer, but it was an incredible windscreen. The top wing is still intact so that may factor into working with a new one of whatever brand.

Max, I am in Nova Scotia (Annapolis Valley) so I will just start gathering parts. That one in Gatineau does look like a great parts bike, though, probably an OK rider, as well. However, I won't be able to do any long distance stuff like that. I'll have to start looking for part-out/wrecker places for a few of the parts, or eBay. Thinking of the plastic dash & fairing stuff and maybe the right side footpeg mounts.

Like I said, I am several weeks away from even seeing her, so no real rush.

Today, though, I have to refocus on recovery. Pain is worse now. Insurance company also sent me a truckload of forms to fill out. Not looking forward to that, but must be done.

Sincerely,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Dang, so sorry to hear what happened. I hope that your recovery goes smoothly. It's amazing how in an instant life can change, but like a doctor once told me, It's just a small bump in the road of life.
Heal up and no doubt the bike will do the same with help.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Hope the pain goes soon. Looking forward to hearing about the first ride back on the refurbed bike. Keep well and sorry to hear of this. Sobering.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I admire your spirit, Slovcan. I've heard more complaining from someone who's stubbed their toe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Glenn.....dang!....jus dang!

But heres a bright spot.... There has been a full 3pc set of Kappa luggage for the yellow 03 model listed on ebay for quite a while now. Its at a shop in St Louis & sez local pick up only ..xclnt cond w/racks ..keys.. & hdw for $611
This is the ebay listing # 283730204150
Hope this helps....Rod

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Sounds like your mind is set on fixing her back up. Good luck and hopefully she is nice and straight still. Try to get your insurance to not give you a salvage title for it.

I rebuilt a wrecked Road King and since it was a total (cosmetically) they wanted to give me a salvage title.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well folks, I haven't been around for a few days. Last Saturday I got either broadsided or T-Boned on the left side. As near as I can tell the car's front bumper or right side of it hit my left leg between my boot and my knee. It is broken - fibula top and bottom and tibia on the bottom. My foot was just hanging. I had to wait 2 days for surgery. They put a rod in my tibia from the top and screwed top and bottom and a plate screwed onto the bottom of my fibula. It's going to take a long time to recover - several months anyway.

The bike slid on the right side. At some point the right saddlebag came off (original Suzuki/Kappa). It's colour pamel and clear reflector are off and it won't close. The trunk is pretty scraped up on the right side. The slide ended with me and the bike going up over a 7-8 inch high concrete curb and stopping on the center island. That took off the right frame slider. The right side of the WindStrom windshield is broken off (bottom to top), the side of the fairing and dash filler panels are scraped up, the bar end weights are scraped and bent down on both sides, the right foot peg is bent down, the brake pedal seems like it is scraped on the end but not broken, the right passenger peg was folded and is ground down at the bracket, the new driving light on the front right is broken off and the right rear pit stand spool is gone. Someone told me the stand is bent (must be the center stand).

When I was on the ground I could only see the left side of the bike. It was laying there for probably an hour and nothing leaked out, so that is promising. My wife took pictures of the right side for me today. That's how I can describe what I have. It is in my garage, but I can't get to the garage to see it in person for at least a few weeks.

My RPHA Max modular helmet stayed closed and functioned normally when I opened it and removed it. It is scraped on the right side just behind the chin bar below the hinge. If it was a half shell helmet I would be considerably uglier today. I haven't seen my gloves (Joe Rocket mesh), but they stayed on and looked fine when I took them off. There must be some scuffs, but I don't know yet. My Triumph branded mesh jacket has no damage other than some scraped mesh on one side of the chest. My new Forma Adventure Low boots are also undamaged. They are heavy when your foot is detached from your leg, though. Apart from my badly fucked up leg, I don't have a mark on me.

I've been riding for 40 years and this is my first incident of any kind. It was a good run and I hope I get another 40 years without another crash.

Glenn
Hope your recovery is fast and without issues. Did they catch the person that hit you?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts