StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I haven't been around for a few days. Last Saturday I got either broadsided or T-Boned on the left side. As near as I can tell the car's front bumper or right side of it hit my left leg between my boot and my knee. It is broken - fibula top and bottom and tibia on the bottom. My foot was just hanging. I had to wait 2 days for surgery. They put a rod in my tibia from the top and screwed top and bottom and a plate screwed onto the bottom of my fibula. It's going to take a long time to recover - several months anyway.

The bike slid on the right side. At some point the right saddlebag came off (original Suzuki/Kappa). It's colour pamel and clear reflector are off and it won't close. The trunk is pretty scraped up on the right side. The slide ended with me and the bike going up over a 7-8 inch high concrete curb and stopping on the center island. That took off the right frame slider. The right side of the WindStrom windshield is broken off (bottom to top), the side of the fairing and dash filler panels are scraped up, the bar end weights are scraped and bent down on both sides, the right foot peg is bent down, the brake pedal seems like it is scraped on the end but not broken, the right passenger peg was folded and is ground down at the bracket, the new driving light on the front right is broken off and the right rear pit stand spool is gone. Someone told me the stand is bent (must be the center stand).

When I was on the ground I could only see the left side of the bike. It was laying there for probably an hour and nothing leaked out, so that is promising. My wife took pictures of the right side for me today. That's how I can describe what I have. It is in my garage, but I can't get to the garage to see it in person for at least a few weeks.

My RPHA Max modular helmet stayed closed and functioned normally when I opened it and removed it. It is scraped on the right side just behind the chin bar below the hinge. If it was a half shell helmet I would be considerably uglier today. I haven't seen my gloves (Joe Rocket mesh), but they stayed on and looked fine when I took them off. There must be some scuffs, but I don't know yet. My Triumph branded mesh jacket has no damage other than some scraped mesh on one side of the chest. My new Forma Adventure Low boots are also undamaged. They are heavy when your foot is detached from your leg, though. Apart from my badly fucked up leg, I don't have a mark on me.

I've been riding for 40 years and this is my first incident of any kind. It was a good run and I hope I get another 40 years without another crash.

Glenn

Reactions: V-Strom Ry 2

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yikes man! I'm sure you'll heal up and be riding again for another 40 years. In the meantime, you'll have plenty of time to figure out what you want your next bike to be! :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
Shit happens!
We all need to ride as though all drivers are out to kill us...so much distraction these days esp with smart phones.
Thanks for the description of your bike damage but all this is incidental...more difficult to fix or replace you than the bike. Stay strong and hopefully your recovery is quick!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes man! I'm sure you'll heal up and be riding again for another 40 years. In the meantime, you'll have plenty of time to figure out what you want your next bike to be! :D
😲 Hang on there Wildman! She's too good to give up on. We can rebuild her! She may not be quite as pretty as before, but when I get up and about I'll see what I can do. 😊

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Registered
458 Posts
Prayers for a quick, easy recovery.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Dammit, sorry to hear that brother. Hopefully you have enough insurance to just write the bike off. Did the other driver stop or get identified?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dammit, sorry to hear that brother. Hopefully you have enough insurance to just write the bike off. Did the other driver stop or get identified?
Thanks ST. Yeah the other driver stayed. I talked to the insurance company and everything seems cool with them. Honestly, I don't want it written off. I think I can do a good job of fixing her. She fits me like a glove and already has all the right bits and pieces. Getting a replacement bag and dash plastic might be a challenge, but I have time. Practically bedridden for another couple of weeks before I can see what's what.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
I know what mean about wanting to fix it. Getting a bike just the way you want it takes time and money. And then when you get there you tend to like it a lot.

Hope the healing goes well. Don't let them keep you on hydro too long. I had spiders crawling all over me and ZERO sleep for two days after being on it for three weeks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Guys i'd like to duo something different here. That's my ex bike that got schmucked and Glenn flew all the way to toronto to just pick it up. he was the ultimate in professional courteous. We can't fix his leg but we can help him fix his bike.

So, if anyone else thinks that's a good idea, maybe we can contribute to its rehabilitation. Anything possible would be good. If your a stormtrooper and live near Glenn, he made need some aid in serving it all together. If you have old parts not using anuymore send them. and if someone knows how to start a go fund me page, I will contribute the first $250. let's prve we're the best motorcycle forum on the web.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what mean about wanting to fix it. Getting a bike just the way you want it takes time and money. And then when you get there you tend to like it a lot.

Hope the healing goes well. Don't let them keep you on hydro too long. I had spiders crawling all over me and ZERO sleep for two days after being on it for three weeks.
Thanks Rick. Yeah, that's what they got me on. I usually don't take pills and won't take these any longer than necessary for sure. I haven't seen how the peg lowering stuff fared, yet. I hope OK.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys i'd like to duo something different here. That's my ex bike that got schmucked and Glenn flew all the way to toronto to just pick it up. he was the ultimate in professional courteous. We can't fix his leg but we can help him fix his bike.

So, if anyone else thinks that's a good idea, maybe we can contribute to its rehabilitation. Anything possible would be good. If your a stormtrooper and live near Glenn, he made need some aid in serving it all together. If you have old parts not using anuymore send them. and if someone knows how to start a go fund me page, I will contribute the first $250. let's prve we're the best motorcycle forum on the web.
Oh David, I just don't know what to say. I am profoundly moved. You brought tears to my eyes. Seriously, I am stuck for words. It will be, I think, 3 weeks before I can see her. I will put together a list then of what parts I will need. If anyone is in my area (I think the sexymedic is pretty close) I would love them to come by when I am working on her, even just for company. Insurance stuff is just getting started. I am sure they will want to write it off. I don't accept that.
When I bought her from David she was so perfect that I was not buying her, I was ADOPTING her and promising to care for her. That's what I will do.

We are bikers and we do help each other. When I see a fellow biker stopped on the road I make sure they are OK. When this happened on Saturday and I was laying on the ground with paramedics, firemen, police and other onlookers everywhere, a guy called out to me from the crowd and asked if he could take my bike home for me. A stranger. Another biker. His name is Lyle and he owns a cycle leather shop here in town. He said he had a trailer. He would not hear of me paying him. I found out afterwards that he had to borrow a car with a trailer hitch because he had just sold his truck. As if that is not enough, today a fellow member on my Triumph Facebook group who I never knew or met said he was there on Saturday, too, and helped Lyle pick up and load my bike. Alan is a motorcycle trainer in New Minas.

And now David and the rest of you guys. This has been and is still becoming an incredible moment in my life. Who can be better than biker/rider brothers and sisters?

Sincerely,
Glenn

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same thing happened to me 30 years ago, same injuries. They didn't put any plates in, 3 stainless rods running from my knee to my ankle, which they took out after the bones set. Leg's still working, so can't complain.

Re the Gofundme, insurance should make you whole. Buddy of mine just took out a deer on his Harley, they called it a total loss but are willing to work with him if he decides to fix it. Hopefully yours will do the same.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same thing happened to me 30 years ago, same injuries. They didn't put any plates in, 3 stainless rods running from my knee to my ankle, which they took out after the bones set. Leg's still working, so can't complain.

Re the Gofundme, insurance should make you whole. Buddy of mine just took out a deer on his Harley, they called it a total loss but are willing to work with him if he decides to fix it. Hopefully yours will do the same.
Thank you Steadyhorse!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts