StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is to make owners aware of a wiring issue.

My bike is a 2014 DL650A which has about 48,000 on the clock. I have owned it since new and it has been regularly serviced by a good mechanic.

I went for a ride a few weeks ago and within a mile of my home I got the CHEC message and my electricals died. Long story short it was it was nothing to do with the clutch or stand cutouts, it was the ignition fuse that blew. Since she was due for a major service I did not ride it as the electrical issue was unresolved. Today I was able to ride it to my mechanics, why it did not blow again during that ride I do not know.

My mechanic called a little later and said he could not get it started and had gone through about a dozen fuses. He stripped the bike and eventually traced the cause of the fault to a strand of wire that was shorting at a junction box under the ducktail near the rear light. You can see the fault from the attached photos.

I hope the above helps someone else who may be expereincing a similar problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
It appears to be from abrasion. Cable rubbing on something which is unlucky and hopefully unlikely to be a consistent fault with other bikes.

Thanks for the heads up just in case.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Unfortunately you're not the first this has happened to Hardyakka, I remember reading about it on here a year or two ago. The fix was to fit another cable tie to prevent it happening.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Did you buy the bike new?
If not that could have been caused by a previous owner trying to tap into a hot wire for accessory power. If you did buy it new and you have never played in that area of the wiring you should let Suzuki know as that is potentially a recall issue if its a batch problem with the wring loom.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I erred on that linked thread. I thought it was about the main harness contacting the frame casting. I think that is mostly due to salt water getting into the harness in the winter and causing corrosion resulting in heat melting the insulation causing frame contact. It may be abrasion though. It happens mostly in the UK where salt is used a lot even though there isn't a lot of snow but can happen anywhere.

This time I'll leave the thread here as it is really about the diagnostic plug that is not on most bikes worldwide and the problem definitely is abrasion. That connector is only on British and some old British Commonwealth country bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts