StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I'm a Vulcan Nomad owner from Alberta, Canada. I've got an '02 Nomad with just about 50,000km's on it. I just returned from a trip to Topaz Lake, Nevada, down to Vegas, a few days through Utah, three days in Yellowstone, up through Montana (Lolo Pass), Idaho and then some of the top roads in B.C.
I did pretty much the same thing last year, but tacked on Fairbanks, Alaska.
Anyhow, the Nomad is a solid, comfortable bike, but I'm starting to crave something with a little more performance. On my most recent trip, I ran into a couple from California, on a V-Strom. They really liked it. I was at a local dealership today, looking at an FJR1300 and the salesman, who happens to race, told me how great a bike and how much fun, the V-STROM is.

Some of the things I find lacking in the Nomad are; when getting out to pass on the freeway, there's power there, getting up to 160KPH (95mph)
is fairly easy, but I still feel like I'm pushing it. Also, in some of the sweepers, at, say 150-160kph, it wallows and bucks. It's pretty good in the twisties, but dragging floorboards is a frequent occurance.
I was traveling with mostly Vulcan riders, but there was a fellow on an FJR1300 and an '02 Wing. There was no keeping up with them and the guy on the Wing was just way too happy.
However, before sucumbing to the lure of a Wing or a Beemer, and admitting that I'm getting older, (still in my 40's) I really wanted to try something that would get me excited.
I guess what I'm asking is: How is the V-STROM for long trips? Comfortable for the legs? I'm 6' 1", 180lbs. How is it in the heat?
Arizona, Utah, etc. Much heat off of the engine?
How is it on the little 2-lane twisties? How 'bout the Superslab?
How about around town?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Craig from Alberta

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*****How is the V-STROM for long trips?

It's very good. I took an 1800 mile trip last November through northern California and the Strom was fabulous everywhere.

*****Comfortable for the legs? I'm 6' 1", 180lbs.

Lots of leg room, but a different position than your Vulcan.

*****How is it in the heat? Arizona, Utah, etc. Much heat off of the engine?

No problem. I ride in 100+ degree F temperatures frequently in southern California.

*****How is it on the little 2-lane twisties?

On moderate to fast twisty roads, it's absolutely fabulous! On very tight roads (paved wagon roads), it's a bit of a handfull.

*****How 'bout the Superslab?

What's that?

But seriously, it works well there too, though some riders don't care for the stock seat. It suits me fine.

*****How about around town?

I leave town as soon as I get on my bike.

*****Thanks in advance for any input.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm coming off a VFR to a V Strom. V Strom has the same level of performance as VFR but is very comfortable. V Strom handles very well and is still stable at speed. Bike is physically a large bike, making it very comfortable for 2 people, but handles and feels like a much smaller bike. I got the Suzuki hard luggage with it and am very happy with luggage. Still searching for a more effective windshield though. This bike has excellent handling, performance, touring comfort and light weight. There's no other bike out there that offers this much. I've been riding for 34 years and this is my 35th bike, and one of my favorites.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bliz said:
I'm coming off a VFR to a V Strom. V Strom has the same level of performance as VFR but is very comfortable. V Strom handles very well and is still stable at speed. Bike is physically a large bike, making it very comfortable for 2 people, but handles and feels like a much smaller bike. I got the Suzuki hard luggage with it and am very happy with luggage. Still searching for a more effective windshield though. This bike has excellent handling, performance, touring comfort and light weight. There's no other bike out there that offers this much. I've been riding for 34 years and this is my 35th bike, and one of my favorites.
Before I bought my Vulcan, I was looking at a Triumph Sprint or VFR and I'm kind of heading back in that direction. The more I hear about the V-Strom, the more intrigued I am. You certainly can't beat the price.
When I was at the dealership today, the salesman was giving me the stats on the FJR1300, pretty much straight out of the brochure, but when he talked about the V-Strom, his eyes really lit up.
thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a V-Strom rider from Calgary, I must say this bike flat out rocks. I now have 14,000km on my 2003 V-Strom, just back from 3 days, 2500km (1000km yesterday).

The bike flat out rocks in the twisties. You have to muscle it a bit, but it isn't too hard with the wide bars. My peg feelers can atest to its capabilities.

Superslab isn't bad, but if you are used to a big windscreen, you will be in for a big surprise as you definately feel the wind. I am 6'2" and the perfect height to have my head perfectly in the windstream, and as a result, I get a lot of bugs on my visor. You sit very nice and upright. Lots of leg room. Seat gets too soft after about 500-600km (to me). Something a little firmer would be nice.

Heat is not a problem, you're legs are in the airstream. They even get cold on cool days.

Mileage is great, I can easily get 300km to a tank with many litres left in it.

I run the Motech crashbars and removeable luggage racks with Givi E41 bags and a E450 Topcase...lots of room.

Great 2-up with my girlfriend. She is super comfy back there.

Seems to like tires, I am getting darn near to my 3rd rear in 14,000km...The Michelin Anakees much better than the stock Bridgestones.

Great bike...gonna have it for a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Craig, I just bought a 2008 DL1000, not many K's on it yet. I came from a BMW R1150RT which is a great bike but definately doesn't have the grin factor of the strom. The strom is as comfy for me (6ft) as the beemer was but the strom engine I just love, it has just a touch or a Ducati growl and is faster than any sane person needs for road work. I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia which is bloody hot and humid and this is where the Beemer let me down with it's full fairing and tall screen, I couldn't get any air. The Strom gives me great airflow for this climate. I did really consider a BMW 1200GS but over here the strom is about $9000 cheaper. The strom is a beautiful handling machine given it's design brief. The steering is totally neutral. It is a real mile muncher with comfort. I find the seat as comfy as the Beemer's was. The suspension is adjustable both ends and is perfect for some of our back roads over here. By the way the 650 is a great bike also but the corner exit Vtwin grunt of the 1000 sold me. You need to test ride one but be warned to ride one is to buy one. I'm in my 50's and love the ergonomics, my days of head down arse up riding are over. If you have any specific q's about mine manufactured in January08 just email me [email protected] hope this helps Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hope this guys still visits the forum TailSpin...this post is just shy of 5 years old :oops:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I hope this guys still visits the forum TailSpin...this post is just shy of 5 years old :oops:
Thanks for your post Don. I was just getting ready to type out a long comparison of the Nomad vs Vee !! ;)

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Perfect

The Wee Strom is perfect for me. It allows for all of your questions. This comes from someone who has been riding since 1968 and have travel all over the states except for North East. Hopefully this year or next I will make it up to the states I haven't visited on my way to Nova Scotia.

Go with the Strom, its perfect. And I have ridden BMW's since 68 and really enjoy my Strom over the Beemers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts