StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Derek and new to this forum. I just bought my first v strom less then 3 weeks ago. It is a 2003 DL1000. The bike runs very good and is in beautiful shape. The only thing i noticed is that the clutch seems to make kind of a rattling noise around 3000 rpms. Below that or above it goes away. while it's making the noise is i put a little pressure on the clutch lever it goes away. I dont pull it in to disengage just a little pressure on the lever. thanks if anyone has any advice.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
I think most of them do this.. Mine has done it for years...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi im Derek and new to this forum. I just bought my first v strom less then 3 weeks ago. It is a 2003 DL1000. The bike runs very good and is in beautiful shape. The only thing i noticed is that the clutch seems to make kind of a rattling noise around 3000 rpms. Below that or above it goes away. while it's making the noise is i put a little pressure on the clutch lever it goes away. I dont pull it in to disengage just a little pressure on the lever. thanks if anyone has any advice.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-b...ine-vibration-cure-clutch-basket-chudder.html

Yeah, mine does it. Don't think I'll bother to do anything about it. Just got my 05 Vee. Going to ride it for a while, see if all the little things need to be "fixed" or just not run it at the 3000 range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So suzuki never made a solution to the problem? If i buy a whole new clutch are the chances of noise again pretty good? Were there problems with the later years? I would really like to get mine fixed or replaced. Other then this i just love the bike!

·
Registered
926 Posts
My 2008 Vee also has clutch chudder, but I knew it would before I bought it. It doesnt bother me and is one of the last things I would spend money on.

I'm no expert, but from what I have read a new clutch would eventually just develop the chudder again. I read somewhere that clutch chudder does not impact on reliability, but if i am wrong on that, please someone chime in.

There are several cures I have seen on this forum, the main one being to send some of your clutch parts to a member named "Real Shelby" I believe. He modifies your existing clutch to correct design faults. Its not a simple task.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi im Derek and new to this forum. I just bought my first v strom less then 3 weeks ago. It is a 2003 DL1000.
...while it's making the noise is i put a little pressure on the clutch lever it goes away. I dont pull it in to disengage just a little pressure on the lever.
Thanks if anyone has any advice.
Welcome aboard Derek.
It has been my experience that the DL1000 is a fascinating collection of mechanical oddity's that will keep you tinkering. :eek:rig_rolleyes:
But the good news is; there is nothing that could possibly affect your Vee that this forum crew cant help you fix. Lots of great info & helpful people here.

BTW... How many miles on your Vee?
-Ej-

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,610 Posts
So suzuki never made a solution to the problem? If i buy a whole new clutch are the chances of noise again pretty good?
For many years the only option was replacing the clutch basket with a new one. Warranty covered them for the first time usually but of course the warranty only lasts so long. Some bought the SV basket thinking it was a better design. While it has a few minor differences, the problem areas are the same on the DL and SV baskets. New baskets only last as long as the originals...some have noted a return of chudder well before 10,000 miles.

The noise at idle is the inner plate moving around and the springs rattling around in the spring pockets. There is NO worry about this leaving you stranded.

There is a permanent solution. It requires disassembly of the basket and modifying the problem parts. $285, about the same as a new basket.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My temporary solution has been to slightly slip the clutch when this starts to happen. Little pressure on the lever get on the gas and blast out of the turn. Like riding a 125 2 smoke.
I figure when I have to pull it apart I will fix it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Not to worry. I have an 07. It has 70,000 miles of mild chudder. I will check back in around 100,000 miles and let you know if it is a durability issue.

I plan on sending mine to Shelby...some day...when the original and much abused clutch will start slipping.

It helps to down shift and not pull a lot of torque in too high a gear. I would not purposely slip a clutch, but you may dissagree.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just installed Real Shelby's improved clutch basket, and I'm very pleased. 07 with 18,000 miles, and new to me. In addition to the chudder, there is now less buzzy vibration at highway speeds, and the Strom is more enjoyable off the highway too. Being able to use the full rpm range is great.

While I am above average on mechanical skills (but my bad luck offsets that), and this was a significant process, it went very easy. Honestly, I was expecting this to be harder and more problems than it was.

Those who are living with it, you're going to wish you'd done it sooner after you finally do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
84,000 Klms on mine now the rattle annoys the shit out of me ..but it gets ridden hard ,two up at times and I tow a trailer for rallies..

The Real shelby is a good fix ..but not much use to us in Australia...I notice the replacement OEM part has been changed in the listings..

I believe it may be a modified unit these days ..best way for Suzuki to never admit a faulty design I suppose....

Just put some new discs on the front from China ..and it got rid of an annoying little clunking I had..:hurray:

A set of louder pipes may be a good cure for the clutch noises :thumbup:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,610 Posts
The Real shelby is a good fix ..but not much use to us in Australia...I notice the replacement OEM part has been changed in the listings..
The WERKS baskets are in Europe, South America, Central America, North America. No reason they cannot be in Australia!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just put some new discs on the front from China ..and it got rid of an annoying little clunking I had..:hurray:
As we push further and further off the topic, may I ask. . .
"Hey Mythbuster, tell me more about that front end clunk issue".
If its discussed in a thread, PM me the link, or even start a new thread on front end clunk so we don't trash this one.

Thanks,
-Ej-

·
Registered
163 Posts
If i buy a whole new clutch are the chances of noise again pretty good?
I bought a brand new basket from Suzuki for my '03. It immediately transformed the bike. But the chatter/shudder (chudder) problem was already coming back before 10K miles.

Sent the original to Terry Hinkle (Real Shelby) to have it reworked and the difference was superior to installing the new Suzuki basket. Put about 10K on it without a trace of any indication of the problem coming back. Now have the Hinkle basket in my second DL1000.

I would simply not tolerate a DL1000 with the chudder problem. It felt like I was driving a broken bike. Extremely annoying. Never would have even considered a second DL had it not been for complete confidence in Terry's fix.

If I were buying another DL1000, the Hinkle basket fix would be the very first modification I'd buy for it. I'd do it before crash bars, skid plate, luggage--anything. Makes it a different bike.

JET

·
Registered
22 Posts
clutch shutter

dd burgman I to have a 2003 v strom 30,000 miles and chutter I resently had shelby repair mine . man what a difference it changed the whole ride ,i now can cruise at 70 with no footpeg vibration. great bike now better.easy replacement took about hour and a half . Terry is super easy to deal with and very helpful. best of luck :thumbup:

·
Banned
208 Posts
Clutch Basket developments Update

Clutch Basket Modifications and update on further developments

Report just in from an owner near Sacramento CA - has the original Sharealike/SVman re-engineered modification.

Finally finished putting the bike back together a couple weeks ago, and how have a couple hundred miles on it. WOW. What a difference. No more chudder, no more rattling fairing, no more vibrations pulling up hills. I can cruise at 4200 RPM and it's smooth. I can actually feel the engine running now that the clutch isn't masking it with the chudder. Best $$$ I've spent on the bike. I look forward to another 30k miles of solid performance and finally, smooth sailing. THANKS!!!!!!!

Sharealike modifications continue a pace here. Some years now since I found and shared the detail of the clutch baskets problems with the VStrom community and worked out how to modify them to stop the chudder.

What many owners may not know is the reason I stripped my very first basket was not because of the chudder. It was to fathom out if the damper in the clutch basket was causing or contributing to the Idle Hammer. This heavy hammering, felt through the whole bike at idle, was affecting the recently launched 03 SV1000 and although much less this was being reported in some VStroms and the Kawasaki KLV1000 (KLV is a DL1000 badged as a Kawasaki for some markets from 2005). Well after "stopping off" to deliver the clutch basket solution I got back to investigating the Idle Hammer. Always thought to be a problem with the early engines main bearings, they did not fail but could be felt and heard to knock at idle. Well after seven years (includes a few breaks) my findings are that it's as much down to the layout of the engine as any specific issue with the main bearings. Now had a prototype modification (quite separate from the clutch basket) running in my own SV for a few years. Just as in usual good practice and the same as with my clutch basket prototyping, other owners are now to run this same prototype design. Plan is to make the new damper available to all once it's proved to damp the hammer in engines other than my own. Safety, longevity and durability have already been proved in my own engine. Included this information here as understandably the noises need separating.

And on a final note. Many owners come direct to me by email ([email protected]) to ask about their clutches in general and help diagnosing the chudder. This is fine. Emerging trend shows the chudder is cropping up in the 2012 VStroms. Not had any owners decide to send the basket for the work as they need referring back to Suzuki while the bike is under warranty. No great surprise the latest engines can still chudder. New 2010 and 2011 manufactured baskets that come here for modification before fitting are just the same inside as the 2003 onwards items. Appears Suzuki just placed an order for more of the same from the original supplier when they brought the engine back into production. I must stress it's reported as mild compared to older bikes.

regards
SVman - more widely known as Sharealike everywhere else.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
OK I'll bite

Does hammermod occur on the clutch assembly and if so what is the deal re chudder hammer mods.

The same thing at the same time during clutch mods

One has nothing to do with the other

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clutch chudder

My '06 clutch makes a racket when in neutral and the clutch is disengaged, has done this as long as I can remember and at 41,000 miles, I have had no trouble from this nuisance noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts