StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I loved my 2002 GS Adventure, it was fun, rugged, ultra heavy but a good bike, it just had reliability issues, dead batteries, fuel leaks, brake problems. I'd buy another if I had the money (morgage now:() just something about them that attracts me, its not the badge either. Cannot kill, fault or complain about the V-Strom, it just lacks that bit of soul tho...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Cannot kill, fault or complain about the V-Strom, it just lacks that bit of soul tho...
Motorcycles have souls?

Heck, I'd bet half the people I know don't have souls.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quality & Simplicity

I'll take an early model BMW airhead over anything else on the planet. They will and do last forever.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Compare a GS Adventure to a Vee, besides the obvious, 8 gal fuel tank, 60 amp electrical system, better suspension, better brakes, they also get better fuel economy with more power, longer tire life cause of smoother power, a company with a history of maintaining parts availbility instead of one with a history of unavaliable or obsolete parts. They also retain their value better

ya, I think the GS is twice the bike

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
That's what the extra money is for! You get a soul with a Beemer!! Cheers-BB
I was wondering what the going rate for a soul is, about $10,000.00. Good information to have.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Compare a GS Adventure to a Vee, besides the obvious, 8 gal fuel tank, 60 amp electrical system, better suspension, better brakes, they also get better fuel economy with more power, longer tire life cause of smoother power, a company with a history of maintaining parts availbility instead of one with a history of unavaliable or obsolete parts. They also retain their value better

ya, I think the GS is twice the bike
When you gonna pony up?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
I'd do in a heartbeat if I had the cake, I'd like to do it sooner rather than later while I can still get a couple $$ for my Vee

when it comes right down to layout & design, I'd take a MotoGuzzi, but the dealership network is kinda thin
Based on your billing rate, a month and a half of steady work would cover it.

(Being self-employed consultant myself, I fully understand how "billable hours" translate to "net income".)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'll second that! I heard once that people buy cars, not because they want them, but because of how the salesman make them feel. What a load of crap!

Let me share my experience: I picked out a bike, a nice used Wee. I made an offer. The offer was accepted. I went to the bank where I had been arranging financing. The paperwork would take a few hours. I went home and waited. The salesman called me at home to inform me that he had sold the bike out from under me. I sat at home, fuming for a while. Then, the salesman called me back to see if I was still interested, 'cause the other guy's financing had fallen through. I had done my research, I knew this was the bike I wanted. So I offered a new, lower price which was immediately accepted. I went to pick up my new bike.

This was BY FAR the worst experience I ever had buying a vehicle! Good thing I love my Wee. I wont say where this happened, but they are in Weber County, they are big, and they sell toys for boys.
This kind of affair worked in my favor in 2007- my '07 slightly used Wee ABS was on eBay, a Texan called the dealer to buy it, was refused shipping, paid a nonrefundable $300 deposit for a transit company to come get a bike he had not really paid for yet. I arrived at the dealer, heard the story and bought it, went home and got a call from Texas and heard the whole story again. It was wild but I have the best bike I've ever owned and got it for a steal. Money talks...

·
Registered
367 Posts
You just gota love that "its got soul" justification to spend twice as much.:confused:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
You just gota love that "its got soul" justification to spend twice as much.:confused:
Let's see, two BMW's and an HD.

Did you get your money's worth?

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
I would take almost anything JD Power says with a grain of salt.

I'm in the car industry and know that there is a survey by JD Power that shows almost anything.

The part that bothers me is that a while back manufacturers started attaching money to the dealers for good survey results. More accurately, part of their mark-up on the vehicles was held back and given back to the dealers if the surveys were above a certain average. This led to the commission of salespeople being dependant somewhat upon getting a good survey. 20% of my commissions are contingent on me getting over a certain satisfaction score.

The results are there is an incredible pressure on salespeople to "prime" the customers to give good results.

I would take any of their surveys that do not deal with subjective issues with a grain of salt.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts

The part that bothers me is that a while back manufacturers started attaching money to the dealers for good survey results. More accurately, part of their mark-up on the vehicles was held back and given back to the dealers if the surveys were above a certain average. This led to the commission of salespeople being dependant somewhat upon getting a good survey. 20% of my commissions are contingent on me getting over a certain satisfaction score.

The results are there is an incredible pressure on salespeople to "prime" the customers to give good results.

I would take any of their surveys that do not deal with subjective issues with a grain of salt.

..Tom
I am shocked, shocked, I say.

above italicized to indicate mock shock.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
because the owners are more satisfied within a few days of purchase, it's a better product

do you follow lemmings off the cliff as well ?
Yeaaahhhhh, think you missed the point....

a) I got my survey 6 months after the purchase...that's a bit more than "a few days"

b) Following lemmings off a cliff? To repeat, I was sent the survey after I'd already purchased my Strom, not before.....which is why I was sent the survey to complete.....six months later.....and believe it or not I picked it out all by my little lonesome. I didn't purchase it because of the JD Power survey (like I said, normally I dont' pay those things any attention).

Well I guess that's not quite true.....I did a lil' research by reading about experiences and opinions here......so I guess that makes everyone here one the the lemmings you're talkin' about.....and sure, OK I followed 'em all right off this here cliff, dangit....best mindless lemming-following I've ever done, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, LMAO!!!!! :green_lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Greenville, SC dealer has a "Garage Night" exclusively for lady riders for fellowship and to discuss riding and maintenance.
That's just smart. My wife has been riding for years and works from time to time at our local Suzuki/Kawi shop. There's a huge market out there for the taking for any dealer who can get 'his' head around it (and i'm not even talking biker clothing).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Let's see, two BMW's and an HD.

Did you get your money's worth?
I was able to turn a $7K profit on the GT that paid for the Wee. I bought the HD new and it's been to 45 states including Alaska. The LT has had it's share of all the nickle and dime annoying $hit, but I have been able to replace all that BMW OEM POS stuff with either after market or custom components. The Wee is my favorite right now, but who knows what tomorrow might bring.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2006 J.D. Powers Motorcycle Competitive Information Study rated 10 motorcycle brands in 5 key areas: product, quality, cost of ownership, customer's sales experience, and service. The brands were rated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. 6916 owners who purchased new motorcycles between Sep 2005 and May 2006 participated in this study.

In the 3 areas that rated the actual products the mfgs produce - product, quality, and cost of ownership - Suzuki beat BMW.

Product: BMW 4, Suzuki 4 = tie

Quality: BMW 4, Suzuki 5 = Suzuki wins with a 20% higher score and ties Honda as the highest of all 10 rated brands

Cost of Ownership: BMW 2, Suzuki 4 = Suzuki wins with a 40% higher score.

Combined Score for these 3 product areas: BMW 10, Suzuki 13

A clear win for Suzuki in the quality dept and combined score.

Only Victory Motorcycles beat Suzuki in these 3 key areas, with a combined score of 14 vs. Suzuki's 13.

In the 2 human areas - sales and service - BMW tied for first with Harley Davidson and Victory. Suzuki suffered in these areas badly.

The study noted that there was a 21% improvement in quality over last year's study. Quality "is becoming the price of entry" says Tim Fox, research supervisor at J.D. Powers.

In summary then, the results of this study show that if you can stomach the "less than the best" sales and service experience at a Suzuki dealer, you will be buying a motorcycle with the highest quality rating in the industry and a very low cost of ownership.

If sales and service are more important to you than quality or cost of ownership is of least concern, then BMW is the better choice.
Every bike has it's niche but the Vstrom is one of the few that isn't the best at anything but it's really good at just about everything. What say you?
[/QUOTE]
I concur. I purchased a 2006 650 used and use it mostly for solo road trips, 30 USA States to date. Good mileage and all day comfort. Its the best, good for everything motorbike.
It has plenty of power. Fully loaded with camping gear it has been up Pikes Peak and Mt. Washington. It's a good track day bike. Had it on Mid-Ohio wearing down peg feelers. It has never let me down. It is very easy to maintain. I do all my own work.
I have always liked R model BMWs. A few years ago I purchased a 1999 R1100S oil head. Big mistake. I have never pushed a motorcycle so much in my life.
Stripped clutch splines, HALL effect wiring issues etc etc. I have become a certifiable BMW mechanic. It's a beautiful black bike with Corbin hard bags and a tan saddle. I need to sell it. Too sporty for a 75 year old guy.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you pay twice as much, you expect twice as much.
That's not always true. There's a fair bunch of people who pay more and are embarrassed if they say their high-ticket is unworthy off the price, less they be considered — or wore, consider themselves — stupid. BMW car owners are like that — I can't say about BMW bikers — and nothing is more deluded than a Tesla owner. Even old Harley owners who defended their brand to the death never tried to pretend their steeds were reliable

21 - 40 of 43 Posts