StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a v strom 650 and love it! best bike I have ever ridden by far!
Faith my beautiful Woman is about 140 LBS (that's a secret)
im about 220 LBS to together we are around 360 plus luggage.

we have no problem going on long trips from dirt to concrete roads.

however.. a freind of mine loves my 650 and is thinking about getting a 1000 but he is not sure if it will support him and his wife since they are big people..

he is about 320 LBS and his wife is about 230 LBS totaling around 550 plus luggage..

he want the 1000 because he like the go fast.. will the suspension handle there weight? and will the 1000 have plenty to give?

is there a year range that may be better than another?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have a v strom 650 and love it! best bike I have ever ridden by far!

Faith my beautiful Woman is about 140 LBS (that's a secret)

im about 220 LBS to together we are around 360 plus luggage.

we have no problem going on long trips from dirt to concrete roads.

however.. a freind of mine loves my 650 and is thinking about getting a 1000 but he is not sure if it will support him and his wife since they are big people..

he is about 320 LBS and his wife is about 230 LBS totaling around 550 plus luggage..

he want the 1000 because he like the go fast.. will the suspension handle there weight? and will the 1000 have plenty to give?

is there a year range that may be better than another?

Tell your friend to get the 1000. That's way too much weight to put on a 650 after loading it up. A 650 wouldn't move.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
One can get a shock built up for a specific weight situation too.
Big folks have been riding 2 up on Gold Wings for years. A couple I used to ride with were ample folks on a BMW.
It happens all the time

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have built many Strom suspensions for larger people. I am 350 lbs so I am very familiar with it. Tell him to go for whatever bike makes him smile but to leave some $$ in the kitty to have the suspension set up properly for his needs.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
If a strom is his future, I would suggest the V2 with a spring upgrade in the near future. Solo at 320 the WEE would happily pull him to the end of the earth, adding a larger passenger and luggage, I am not so sure. Now my goldwing can pull a house (or 2) but even that would need a rear spring upgrade.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Yes, front & rear springs to match the loaded riding weight. The front sprocket can go down one tooth for more giddy-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts