StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
To end once and for all the 650 vs 1000 debate I propose Suzuki make a V-Strom 800.
I reckon this would be the perfect size.
Peter

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry...but your "once & for all" has been goin on since at least 2010 or 11
Doubt it would happen.....
Now....a 695 Strom.....yeah..Well...mabe

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
No it won't people will find things to complain about.

Ever heard the term unicorn in reference to an ADV bike? People still think it's possible to have the perfect bike. If only the manufacturers would do this or that, hah!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hi all,
To end once and for all the 650 vs 1000 debate I propose Suzuki make a V-Strom 800.
I reckon this would be the perfect size.
Peter
And it should have long travel Ohlins suspension F/R with cartridge forks, 12 inches of ground clearance with a 30 inch seat height, windscreen that doesn't buffet, mirrors you can behind you, Brembo brakes and full floating rotors, 500 watt alternator, hydraulic lifters that never need adjusted, 100 HP, fuel capacity or efficiency to go 400 miles between fill ups weight in under 300 pounds RTR and be priced under $8,000.

If you gonna dream, dream big!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do see Suzy doin some updates to the 650 to keep it in the hunt against the Tenere 700....

& whats Kawa got up their sleeve....?
A KLRSys mabe

Honda has pushed the AT to 1100cc & could easily take the NC750 in a more ADV oriented 19/17 wheel setup.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
Picky, picky, picky. i find the Wee Strom perfect. I don't want more power and the gas tank on the early ones was 5.8 Gallons. Review all the other brands and find the one that meets your needs and get that.

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
And every bike would be better if they had better suspension and brakes.
KTM's have both but are twice the cost, not as reliable, and do not have as good a dealer network.
Then I guess that some may use that bike in a different way, and emphasize different qualities.

I guess that some will always dream of that unicorn. Try farkling instead.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
And it should have long travel Ohlins suspension F/R with cartridge forks, 12 inches of ground clearance with a 30 inch seat height, windscreen that doesn't buffet, mirrors you can Brembo brakes and full floating rotors, 500 watt alternator, hydraulic lifters that never need adjusted, 100 HP, fuel capacity or efficiency to go 400 miles between fill ups weight in under 300 pounds RTR and be priced under $8,000.

If you gonna dream, ream big!
Too heavy and it is the wrong color.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I don't want more power and the gas tank on the early ones was 5.8 Gallons.
I had a K7 Wee and "upgraded" to the L4 Wee thinking I'd be getting more power and higher MPG but the difference in power is barely noticeable, MPG is the same so I fell for the marketing hype. I do, however, greatly miss my 5.8 gal tank. I used to get 220-230 miles per tank and now I am looking for a gas at 190mi which I hate. I wish I stuck with the devil I knew, as the saying goes.

NB: To be fair, the Gen2 Wee is a fine bike and I got it in gorgeous red which I really like, still want more powa tho.

Reactions: Schtromtrooper1

·
Registered
238 Posts
No it won't people will find things to complain about.

Ever heard the term unicorn in reference to an ADV bike? People still think it's possible to have the perfect bike. If only the manufacturers would do this or that, hah!
Is it too much to ask for an adventure bike that has 130 hp, can cruise at 80 MPH comfortably all day, have all available electronic creature comforts, weigh only 330 lbs, and only cost $10k? I think not.🍿

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I do see Suzy doin some updates to the 650 to keep it in the hunt against the Tenere 700....
Totally different missions not comparable, looking at the seats should tell you that!

The T7 is the new hotness but it still weighs 450 lbs. People thinking they can ride it like a dirt bike, well... Rude surprise and all that.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I had a K7 Wee and "upgraded" to the L4 Wee thinking I'd be getting more power and higher MPG but the difference in power is barely noticeable, MPG is the same so I fell for the marketing hype. I do, however, greatly miss my 5.8 gal tank. I used to get 220-230 miles per tank and now I am looking for a gas at 190mi which I hate. I wish I stuck with the devil I knew, as the saying goes.

NB: To be fair, the Gen2 Wee is a fine bike and I got it in gorgeous red which I really like, still want more powa tho.
Interesting. I was getting the same mileage on L2, L3, L3 and L4 as on first gen. (5 of them) and even better on L7 on the same gas tank as L2 to L6.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Interesting. I was getting the same mileage on L2, L3, L3 and L4 as on first gen. (5 of them) and even better on L7 on the same gas tank as L2 to L6.
Both bikes I get/got right around 45 MPG. My use case is 90% twisties and 10% freeway. Average speed on California freeway, if it isn't jammed, is close 75-80MPH real (not indicated) which isn't the best for gas mileage. "Twisties" refers to both the road and my use of the throttle so I am not really shocked by my result. There also could be a temperature effect in that I usually only ride if it is warm out 70-80F so maybe the cooler clime in Canada improves the gas mileage as well. What is your gas mileage and tank range?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd like an umbrella girl out in the garage. But I want her to be around 35-40 because any younger would be awkward at my age.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch

·
Registered
177 Posts
How about an inline 4 vstrom 650, that would go ahead and fix all the issues. You get that 150 mph top speed. 120hp. and a whiney rev. There you go.

I will say that my 1000 has the power it needs for what it is. If I wanted a fast bike i'd go back to an inline 4. Even my 600f4i could do 0-60 under 3 seconds and hit 145mph without a hiccup....but you would struggle on the trails with that motor setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
And it should have long travel Ohlins suspension F/R with cartridge forks, 12 inches of ground clearance with a 30 inch seat height, windscreen that doesn't buffet, mirrors you can behind you, Brembo brakes and full floating rotors, 500 watt alternator, hydraulic lifters that never need adjusted, 100 HP, fuel capacity or efficiency to go 400 miles between fill ups weight in under 300 pounds RTR and be priced under $8,000.

If you gonna dream, dream big!
TRUE THAT!!!!!

·
Administrator
16,973 Posts
And every bike would be better if they had better suspension and brakes.
KTM's have both but are twice the cost, not as reliable, and do not have as good a dealer network.
Then I guess that some may use that bike in a different way, and emphasize different qualities.

I guess that some will always dream of that unicorn. Try farkling instead.
KTM's are proving to be quite reliable these days, in particular the 1090/1290 bikes and most certainly their dirt bikes. My buds 790R has so far been utterly reliable, makes more hp than the 1050 Strom and he feels hasn't given up much road manners if at all to his previous 650 Strom. My really good bud Steve is about to pull the trigger on a new 1290 Adventure R, that is one seriously bad ass machine and is loaded with high end tech and brakes/suspension for the money.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts