StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a bmw gs1200. I am considering getting a 650 v-strom, because it is lighter and less expensive. My Gs is getting a lot of miles on it. I camp and am usually loaded pretty heavy. My question is, will it have enough capacity, powerfull enough to buck Montana winds and compfortable for months of touring.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I currently ride a bmw gs1200. I am considering getting a 650 v-strom, because it is lighter and less expensive. My Gs is getting a lot of miles on it. I camp and am usually loaded pretty heavy. My question is, will it have enough capacity, powerfull enough to buck Montana winds and compfortable for months of touring.
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
Sure just don't expect the same from the engine you get from the 1200. The Wee will carry camping loads just fine. It will out run a 1200RT in the twisty stuff fully loaded. The bikes are similar, 1200GS and DL650, in function but it is half of what you are flogging now. Set your expectations accordingly.
It's kinda like Fiat/Ferrari...Get real.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have never had a power issue. If fully loaded with 2 people climbing a highway pass in Colorado you might have to put it in 5th gear. Other than that the bike makes good power that is always available.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I got my Wee-Strom as a replacement for an 1150gs.

The Wee does everything thing the GS did, without the cost.

Camping, touring, two up, commuting, no problems.

Very close to the same performance too.

Best thing I ever did was change over from the Beemer. :fineprint:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Pretty close to an 1150.

Not as good as a 1200GS 2 up, fully loaded.

It'll do it provided you don't want to travel at illegal speeds. The load isn't a problem, but it's down in power from the 1200.

(Comparable to an 1150 in power to weight though)

Pete

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Pretty close to an 1150.

It'll do it provided you don't want to travel at illegal speeds.

(Comparable to an 1150 in power to weight though)

Pete
Didn't know overtaking B-Double trucks at 180kph was legal :fineprint:

Shhhh, I will deny ever having done that on my Wee on those long, straight, deserted sections of Australian highway on a road trip.

Actually the Wee is capable of sitting on 130/140kph loaded and still have plenty of legs for overtaking.

I personally sit on 110/120 on the open road as it is a very relaxed pace but not one where you fall asleep from boredom.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Just do it and never look back,you will love the thing :yesnod:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I recently returned from the ADVrider West Fest Rally in Darby, MT. The trip was 5300 miles in total and spanned three full weeks. It included attendance at the Guzzi Rally in SW Wisconsin. Love those Guzzi rallies.

My '09 Wee was heavily loaded -- full of fuel with me sitting on it, it registered 880# on the DOT truck scales near Butte, MT. I use large aluminum rear cases, Givi top case, Aerostitch tank panniers, large tank bag, plus my Nomad tent, sleeping equipment and camping chair strapped on the passenger's seat. Much of my running, even on the two-lanes, was 70+MPH, using the Rostra CC, which holds me very close to the set speed. My Wee has a 16T front sprocket, 15T is stock. My fuel mileage for the complete trip was 44 1/2 MPG.

My previous bike was a Kawa C-14 and, although it had lots more power, I don't find myself wanting/needing more than the Wee has available. As has been said, you may have to drop down a gear for a very steep grade but the 650 engine is more than capable of handling it.

To be comfortable on the Wee during long distance touring, you will probably need to make some changes. Mine have included a different windshield, a rebuilt seat and the capability to run heated grips and jacket. In these areas, the Wee is no different than your GS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned mostly BMW's all my life; my last BMW was a K1200RS. I became intimidated by the difficult maintenance, riding posture, and weight (I am 67) and decided to downgrade to a KLR 650. I loved that bike: I could move it easily around the garage, appreciated the seating position, could keep up with my beemer friends in the twisties (with lots of shifting), but, I slowed them down on the super slabs while returning home from rallies. A friend loaned me his wee for the European Rider's Rally (he drove his RT). Over the weekend, I put more than 1500 miles on it - the next week I bought a 2011 white wee. I have 5K miles on the bike and love it. Seeing more and more V Stroms at BMW rallies.
p.s. my buddy is now seriously considering selling the RT.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Oh and just a bit more on mine.

09 model bought new off the showroom floor.
45,500+km and have just ordered my first chain and sprockets for the bike.
First set of rear brake pads replaced 300km ago, fronts still have 40% pad left.

The Wee costs me so little to run it is fantastic.

Do the routine servicing.
Replace tyres when needed.
Refill the fuel tank every 400-500km.

Ride :hurray: Ride :hurray: Ride :hurray:

·
Registered
239 Posts
BMW to Wee

I owned an 81 Airhead BMW for 26 years before selling it and buying my 07 Wee. As others have posted, for "months" of riding a new seat would be one of the first items for your shopping list. A fork brace would be next! The Wee is a very capable bike, with dealer support and plenty of options available to make the bike fit your riding needs!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I rode a '83 R100RS for 20 odd years, bought a wee and kept the boxer. Most of the time I find I throw my leg over the wee as its so much nimbler and fun to ride, is very easy and forgiving plus for some reason I also feel safer riding the wee, not sure why. Plenty of power for me. Interestingly enough the power to weight ratio for the two is very similar, I can't remember the exact figure but from memory both are around 0.3hp/kg.

Ahh, to only have a bigger shed and more bikes to ride...

C

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a custom seat, YES, the Wee will do well. A friend and I went to Colorado last year (from the east coast) My friend was on a 12GS and me on the my Wee. Did great, I am loaded with camping gear etc... 10 day trip 5600 miles. I was able to maintain with no problems.... go for it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny you should ask................

I have an 08 RT and I camp with it and haul way too much shit when I do go but as much as I love the RT , after forty thousand miles having dealer service got way too expensive. So a few months ago I bought the Vstrom 6 50 and have really enjoyed this bike. I wanted a GS, but wanted to start doing my own maintenance and felt the wee strom was easier to take care of and cheaper Well parts are parts and they ain't cheap but the valves never go out and you don't even have to check them but every 14 K or so and so far no one has found them to be out at all.

That said have a BMW spoils you. Braided steel lines etc. I bought my Wee with only 900 miles on it and a free four year warranty the previous owner bought so I got a deal at half the cost of a new one and it already had the windshild issue solved . I installed a fuzeblock and a GPS (Garvin 550 ) cuz I have one on the RT and love it. Now I'm getting panniers , guards and other goodies as I can figure which one is best for it.

Weight is the enemy. Having a 1200 you can pile it on don't matter. Not so much with half the displacement you pay for excess weight. I am not even sure I want to add panniers and bars because I like taking my comfy chair and table and two tents and lots of creature comfort when I camp. But BMW makes a tail bag that is over fifty litres and it really hauls and fits the wee perfect and so I'm toying with some of the farkles and keep asking myself , how heavy do I wanna go. It is hard to give up the gas mileage either, as the one I got gets right at sixty mpg even loaded. But I have no square boxes sticking way out in my slipstream either and I ride one up.

Short answer, YOU WILL LOVE the wee. I still love my beemer but it sits a LOT more now the wee arrived. I did take the rT on the recent BMW international rally in penn, and I was glad as I took everything including the kitchen sink for a week long camping trip and I think it might have been a bit hard on the wee to carry all that crap and then do a marathon high speed run home at the end of the trip with all that weight.

It's your call of course, Buy the wee , buy used and save half but buy new if you want to do your own set ups your way, as that is half the fun of owning them as they are easy as shit to work on once you find out the idiosycracies.

Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
To WEE or NOT to WEE ... that IS the question!

OK,
last week my wife and I attended the Horizon's Unlimited Rally at Nakusp, BC.

After talking with literally dozens of GENUINE adventure riders, who have BTDT, and who will sell you the Tshirt AND the video to prove it, I traded my 2004 FJR 1300 for a 2005 Weestrom.

Anyone who has ever owned an FJR 1300 knows that the FJR is arguably one of the best TWO UP, LONG DISTANCE, HIGHWAY bikes ever built. I loved my FJR, but times change, people change, and my days of long rides two up are slipping away. A few weeks ago, I rode the FJR from Reno to Vancouver Island. After some LONNNG days of riding in 80 plus degree weather on the black top, I came to the simple conclusion that shorter trips and exploring more of the gravel and dirt back roads right here on scenic Vancouver Island, would be more appropriate for a gentleman of my advanced age.

And after owning 60 plus motorcycles, including a BMW Dakar, four KLR650s, two DR650s, and two GS 1150s, I have to say that in my experience, the Wee is more fun in the dirt than the GS 1150. And much better than the Dakar on long rides on black top. I liked the Dakar and my GS 1150s a lot, but so far, I like the Weestrom better than the DAKAR or the 1150 GS as a "general purpose/do it all" adventure bike, for one or occasionally two up riding.

As with any opinion expressed on the internet,
YPMMV,
but right now,
I'm luvvin that tasty Weestrom Koolaid.
[;{)
LAZ 1

·
Registered
86 Posts
And for a slightly different perspective on the question, I was very concerned after years loving the 1854cc Strat that the Wee's 650 was going to feel like a toy for me at 6'1 215lbs. It has NEVER felt underpowered, not at 90mph on I-81, not at 8mph on the fire trails, not with a full pack load. Not EVER, and it is so much more fun to "flick" than the big bike.
That said - for CG purposes I do not ever use a top case and I do not ride the wee 2-up - for her comfort and mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My friend has a gs and I stay up with him on my wee with no problems. We camp and travel thousands of miles. My friend is talking about getting a wee too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts