StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been taking a long, hard look at the V-Strom 650 (late model, used). It seems near perfect for what I need. However, like so many others, that seat height just might prove to be an in-sur-"mount"-able obstacle.

Whatever else I've looked at doesn't seem to quite measure up. I hate to ask such a blasphemous question here but:
I haven't found it yet but, does Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki (or Suzuki) not make something (else) "equivalent" - with all, or most, of the Wee's features, benefits, capabilities and reliability - but with a somewhat lower seat height???

Thanks, in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
BMW 650 might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, A friend of mine who is somewhat "vertically challenged" did just that. (G650GS) Physically, it's much less of a bike than the Vee/Wee, and is priced right as well. However, it's a 650 "thumper" which may or may not agree with your riding style or expectations.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Honda nc700x
Irl it's a tad lower.
But!!!....
There's some other weird stuff about it and you can lower vstrom seating position a few different ways.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
There are more than a few threads on here about lowering the V-strom using lowering links. If the height is the only thing that stops you from buying one, then those might be your solution. Just query "lowering links" in the forum search engine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What about the Gladius - It's a bit lower and can be set up for some touring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice bike but, without getting into it, I'd prefer to stay away from BMW.

Honda nc700x
Irl it's a tad lower.
But!!!....
There's some other weird stuff about it and you can lower vstrom seating position a few different ways.
I do love Honda, but with all those "But!!!'s", the nc700x isn't going to cut it.

The 12+ models allow you to sit a bit lower. There's also lowering links and a low seat as options to consider.
I've sat on the new models adjusted all the way down. Also looked at the lowering links threads.

Thanks all but, as I suspected, it's looking like all roads lead to Strom.:beatdeadhorse5:

Maybe I'll just have to borrow a pair of my wife's heels.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, you're sort of staying away from BMW, IIRC the F650GS has a Rotax engine, not a BMW one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the Gladius - It's a bit lower and can be set up for some touring.
I did look at it. Nice bike. Thanks.

Well, you're sort of staying away from BMW, IIRC the F650GS has a Rotax engine, not a BMW one.
Again, without getting into it, BMW isn't in the proverbial cards.

Elevator shoes are looking better and better.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Been taking a long, hard look at the V-Strom 650 (late model, used). It seems near perfect for what I need. However, like so many others, that seat height just might prove to be an in-sur-"mount"-able obstacle.

Whatever else I've looked at doesn't seem to quite measure up. I hate to ask such a blasphemous question here but:
I haven't found it yet but, does Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki (or Suzuki) not make something (else) "equivalent" - with all, or most, of the Wee's features, benefits, capabilities and reliability - but with a somewhat lower seat height???

Thanks, in advance!!!

How not tall are you?

I don't get the need to have both feet flat on the ground anyway. At a stop I always lean to the left and put that foot down so I can keep my right foot on the brake. Unless you are off-roading and want to paddle along 2 foots touching isn't needed IMHO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How not tall are you?

I don't get the need to have both feet flat on the ground anyway. At a stop I always lean to the left and put that foot down so I can keep my right foot on the brake. Unless you are off-roading and want to paddle along 2 foots touching isn't needed IMHO.

The seat height of the V-Strom is actually quite manageable;
it's about the same as my current bike (GSX-R750).
It's not so much matter of not being tall enough,
but of comfort level and personal preference.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. With regular footware I'm tippy toeing and at my age with my knees I need all the stability help that I can get. My solution was to give a good pair of riding shoes to a good shoemaker and have him vulcanize a 3/4" sole to the bottoms. I've been using these shoes for 7 years now. Eventually they will disintegrate and I will have to do it again but for now it's the perfect solution for me. It's a little Herman Munsterish but I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. With regular footware I'm tippy toeing and at my age with my knees I need all the stability help that I can get. My solution was to give a good pair of riding shoes to a good shoemaker and have him vulcanize a 3/4" sole to the bottoms. I've been using these shoes for 7 years now. Eventually they will disintegrate and I will have to do it again but for now it's the perfect solution for me. It's a little Herman Munsterish but I couldn't care less.
Lowering links wouldn't work for you?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm sure that they would but I like riding in the upper atmosphere :^) Just giving you another option......admittedly one that's not for everybody.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My first bicycle was an Otasco Flying O 26" wheel cruiser... I used to get started on it by running down the length of our porch while holding the bars then leaping from the porch to the bike. If I was over at a friends house and needed to get going I would peddle by stepping through the frame and take off leaning the bike to the side until I could get up enough speed to coast and sling my leg over the seat. Point is if ya want it bad enough you can make it work.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm lets say, short. I had a DL650 and I lowered it in three ways. First I changed the dog bones to lower the bike, 2nd I trimmed the rubber blocks on the bottom of the seat and finally I raised the forks in the triple tree.
Lowering the front makes the bike handle much better in corners and at higher speeds it helps to keep the nose down.
If I had the choice to make, I would get the V-Strom and lower it bit by bit until you are happy with how it feels. Dog bones are a relatively cheap way to lower the bike.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Steve

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Dagwood hit most the bases. One more way is to cut down the seat foam. You can try, or find a good local upholstery shop that is good at shaping seats. Several of the aftermarket seat makers do a very good job.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One bike that most resembles the V-Strom versatility is the Kawasaki Versys (pun intended :mrgreen:). Granted, it is more road oriented with a 17" front wheel, but other than that, it's capable on gravel/dirt roads, has an upright seating position and it's very capable in just about any road going situation you can think of. Unfortunately, despite being a little smaller and narrower, it's not really lower in stock form. There is a lower seat available (as there is for the V-Strom) and other ways to lower it further (lowering links, sliding forks in T-Clamp, etc.)

The biggest advantage I see for someone who thinks the V-Strom is a tad tall is that it's physically smaller, making it easier to deal with in tight situations, even if the seat isn't any lower. I'd go test sit one and check if it works better for you.

Gustavo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts