StromTrooper banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Get additional lights up front, wear Hi Viz vest or clothing, get louder horn, always assess if you are riding in someone's blind spot, look where you want to go in corners. Never tell yourself you have extra talents and have this mastered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lighten up on your handgrip to keep shoulders dropped . New riders need to learn to. keep shoulders arms and grip relaxed . Being tense can lead to over reaction .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know the op chose a different bike since starting the thread but .. I would still like to chime in with my opinion on the 650 V strom as a beginner bike.

My credentials!? Zero .. Been riding 40 yrs and have owned probably around 12 bikes but my opinion is just that an opinion.

There disclaimer out of the way ..

I think except for the potential problem for riders under 5'8 because of stand over height I think its a great beginner bike.

The power delivery is almost boringly steady. No shocking neck snap or a feeling of a light front wheel from rapid acceleration or an errant twist of the throttle. You can honestly make mistakes on the throttle but since the reaction is so placid you have time to correct with out getting in trouble.

There is very usable power way down on the tach. Like most v twins. What it means is you dont have to do a ton of shifting until you feel like you want or need to to adjust for what you are trying or want to do. For a beginning rider around town get to third gear and its like an automatic.

The suspension just cruises over bumps and like they arent there so no having to stand up on the pegs or fear being bucked.

Upright seating and wide flat bars is a plus for any new rider.

While its not a slipper clutch I find the clutch to be one of the smoothest, forgiving clutches I have ever used.

The brakes are more than adequate but I think you would have to work some to lock them up and with ABS !! There is just no harshness or real finesse needed to ride it and have a safe ride. I have had some real grabby brakes on other bikes.

The levers are smooth as silk

It would seem .. though I only own one a short time .. that it shouldnt need constant maintenance.

I find the bike really light weight. Now that may just be in comparison to other bikes I have owned but just pushing it around in the driveway it feels a bit easier to move around than one of my Fav bikes a Triumph T100.

I dont find the top heavy at all. I had a Harley 1200 sportster and that bike was top heavy. Wasnt an especially big bike but the balance was wild. I am not a little guy but once it started to go over it was hard to keep from the ground. It was just balanced funky.

I think if you are tall enough to handle the stand over or are adept at stopping on one foot , which is what I do, it would make an outstanding beginner bike and I personally would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Noticed you have a cb500x. What luggage do you reccomend for it?
Depends on the space you need ....I went with Shad top load sh23, a Nelson Rigg expandible 20/27 liter tank bag and for a 3 week trip a 20-25 liter tail bag that I generally don't trip with.

There are larger Shad size cases. The bike looks awful with any topcase which normally I would have.

You can just see the tank bag on the other side

This was a recent 5 day trip to the BRP

that's my back support belt laying across the seat ....something that reallllly helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd recommend DL650 as first bike with the caveat as noted by many others about the height of it. And, I would absolutely recommend the MSF certificate to lower your insurance!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since we're resurrecting threads...I rode a 2007 ninja 250 for 3k miles. Demo day'd a dl1000, dl650 and sv650 (thank you suzuki!). Test rode a honda nc750x (if it had any throttle response I would probably have one of those) and sat on a cb500x at the same place.

For a second bike the dl650 is a lot more appealing. The dl1000 felt great for the test ride, but I'm happy with my 2013 dl650 and am getting over 60mpg commuting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Kyouma,

I am a new rider as well and as a matter of fact my first motorbike is a DL-650. Since I am only riding it for few months now I am not yet sure that I would be the best to give advices, but to me this motorcycle seems perfect, enough power but not to overwhelming, also the handling seems to be quite decent to me, and in general I love the bike, very comfortable and capable.

However the bike is quite heavy, around 220 kg the wet weight and the seat is quite tall for short riders, myself I am 186cm and 92 kg, therefore this doesn’t seem to be an issue.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts