StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this v-strom abrout 11 hours from where I live currently. Just wondering if a strom is a good starting bike.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
There is this v-strom abrout 11 hours from where I live currently. Just wondering if a strom is a good starting bike.

Unless you live in outer Mongolia there is a very high chance there are mutiple DL650's f/s a lot closer to you.

As far a s beginner's bike there are worse and there are also better. But having no idea if you never sat on a motorcycle or have 20 years experience racing hare scrambles it hard to say what might work out good for you.

Posting you general location is also helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you live in outer Mongolia there is a very high chance there are mutiple DL650's f/s a lot closer to you.

As far a s beginner's bike there are worse and there are also better. But having no idea if you never sat on a motorcycle or have 20 years experience racing hare scrambles it hard to say what might work out good for you.

Posting you general location is also helpful.
Ah, true. I live in the dfw area. I know there are quite a few around me, they just aren't in my price range at the moment.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The vstrom is a tall bike, so even if you have the discipline to keep the power under control you may have difficulty getting comfortable on it. (Unless you are about 6-2 or taller.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've started on a V-Strom 650 and in my opinion it's a good beginner bike, especially if you're tall. The engine is docile and easy to control, so the bike shouldn't scare you if you don't twist the throttle hard. One possible downside is that it is quite heavy. But it's fast enough for the highway, so there will be no need to upgrade in a few months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've started on a V-Strom 650 and in my opinion it's a good beginner bike, especially if you're tall. The engine is docile and easy to control, so the bike shouldn't scare you if you don't twist the throttle hard. One possible downside is that it is quite heavy. But it's fast enough for the highway, so there will be no need to upgrade in a few months.
That's what I was thinking as well, I was looking at an mt-07 as well, because people say that the smaller displacement bikes get boring after you get used to them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It sounds like you're tall and strong enough to handle a 650. I'm 6' tall and started on a Yamaha Radian. I really looked like a bear on a try-cycle but I don't think I ever dropped it. If I was you, I'd for sure go to as many dealerships as you can stomach and sit on the different bikes.

I would highly recommend taking a certified safety school program. When I took mine, it was the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and it was excellent. I'd have to say it really improved my driving behavior, both with car and bike. All you need to provide is personal safety gear, they had their own fleet of little bikes to learn on. At the time, they maintained completing a class like that cuts your chances of being in a serious accident by half. I believe some insurers give a discount with completion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds like you're tall and strong enough to handle a 650. I'm 6' tall and started on a Yamaha Radian. I really looked like a bear on a try-cycle but I don't think I ever dropped it. If I was you, I'd for sure go to as many dealerships as you can stomach and sit on the different bikes.

I would highly recommend taking a certified safety school program. When I took mine, it was the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and it was excellent. I'd have to say it really improved my driving behavior, both with car and bike. All you need to provide is personal safety gear, they had their own fleet of little bikes to learn on. At the time, they maintained completing a class like that cuts your chances of being in a serious accident by half. I believe some insurers give a discount with completion.
Yeah, I did the msf course. It taught me quite a bit of things. I've been to a couple of dealerships already, right now the only other bike I really felt comfortable on was an mt-07 it felt nice and light and not too small for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At 18 I'd shop insurance cost then buy a bike based on what money was left.
The insurance for the vstrom I was looking at would be around 300 a year, it's 2012, don't know if that makes any difference on insurance though.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The 650 is a great starter bike, and a great bike overall. You may decide to NEVER upgrade it since it can essentially do everything. Get used to the height by spending some time in an empty parking lot at low speeds. It won't take long for you to become one with it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The VStorm 650 is a great all around bike. I recommend one highly.
When someone says begineering I think 250 CC.
So maybe a little to much bike for a beginner but you know yourself,
if you think you can start slow and not pushing it for the first
Thousand to Fifteen Hundred miles the bike will serve you well, well past the starter phase.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts