StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Troopers,

I got some dogbones to lower my V-Strom 1". How difficult is it to change them? Any pointers?. I am a nuby.

I also have on order a center stand. Should I wait to change the dogbones until I have the center stand installed? I am hopping to learn lots about my 06 V-Strom. I bought this bike about 4 months ago with a little over 4,000 miles. It has 11,600 miles now....so i have been doing some good ridding! No problems at all. (the stock seat sucks!!)

Thanks in advance.

Johndre

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is pretty easy to change out the suspension links. These are the instructions I followed - http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/vstrom650bakerlinks.htm.

I am pretty sure that you can do the center stand later with no problems after replacing the links. I don't think any of the parts interfere with each other. I actually did my center stand first and in all honesty I think it probably made replacing the links easier. When I replaced my links - I put my bike on the center stand with a 2x4 between the stand and garage floor to give me a little extra "lift" off the ground. Then I put my floor jack under the rear tire and used that to keep the back wheel neutral so when I took the links off it didn't fall to the ground. Made that process real easy. The center stand itself was kind of a pain to put on because the instructions weren't all that great but it can be done inside of an hour.

As for the seat I got the Sargent World-Sport seat for mine. The combo of the new seat and the lowering links completely changed the bike for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Never mind, I thought you were talking about a DL1000. The 650 doesn't have the issue I originally wrote about.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just a note about what I have found; under your seat you will find 4 black rubber mounting blocks. I removed mine & have lost no ground clearance under the bike but did fine mother earth closer w/ more foot impression.
Just a suggestion.
You can always put the blocks back in if you don't like the change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It will be easier to change out the dog bones once you have the center stand installed, as you will need the rear wheel off the ground to install the dog bones (Lowering kit)....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts