StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds quite dumb unless it had real off-road capacities as long-travel fork and rear suspension. As Spec mentions, a sub 30HP engine to power a loaded bike is a little light. British constructor CCM has a 450 that is a good starting point for a RTW bike. Suzuki seems to go the wrong way of the motorscale. A 800 Wee would be a treat, not a 250...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
This makes absolutely no sense. Why in gods name would anyone in the U.S. want this when you could get a DRZ or DR which would outperform it by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
Maybe the U.S. is not even in it's market target. :wink2:

Coops.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Baby Strom? :confused:

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
This makes absolutely no sense. Why in gods name would anyone in the U.S. want this when you could get a DRZ or DR which would outperform it by a long shot.
For me it would be seat height... the DRZ-250 is 35.0" and the DR650 is 34.1", while this new Vstrom 250 is only 31.1", making it also a good beginner adventure bike.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Not sure it makes any sense, except for really small people who want a Wee...and want to go slow.

The cool part of a lighter/smaller adventure bike is better capabilities offroad, but this is cast road-biased wheels, low belly, lots of plastic. It's a neutered Wee.

Uh, ok.

I love the idea of a small displacement adventure bike, but when I think of one I'd imagine a CRFL250 kitted up for travel, not a street bike with some adventury-appointments.

Underwhelmed. Oh, and the exhaust suitcase again? Jesus.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keeping the lineage naming consistent it should be [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] but this new bike is a miss. I like the idea of a beginner Strom, get those new riders hooked early, as the Vee and Wee are just not good beginner bikes. No one is going load up a 250cc with bags and luggage to go adventuring on- or off-road or take it to Alaska. This won't sell in the USA so I doubt they'll bring it here.

Suzuki should have (over time) bumped the whole line; [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] My Wee is at 60HP and an extra 20 horses would make it ideal. If I was into serious touring, pillion, luggage, etc. I'd just get me a Vee. The Xee should have been 300cc and +30HP and be geared toward true off-roading not Adv Poseur (this should be an official moto classification). Beginning riders could get a Xee and really learn how to ride, trash it off-road and when done with it, sell it to the next beginner in the used market and move up the line to Vee or Wee. At 250cc/25HP it is not really safe on the freeways and even a beginner bike should be able to handle short or medium freeway runs to get to the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Ugh.......why?
Ya know I thought the exact same thing, but you know that the japs really do their homework when it comes to who wants to buy what. So I have decided that it is aimed at an entirely different group of folks, and that is a good thing, at least as far as profit margins go. And some young folks will have a nice little bike that they can afford and handle.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dont know what to say!!! maybe its a solution looking for a problem?
O.k here goes, maybe in the Asian markets such a bike might suffice. For a Western market its "unusual" , weight will be a big factor (imo) ,
maybe its an adventure commuter? it certainly isnt comparable to a CCM450 (which costs as much as a V2 strom btw - or 2 DR650se/DRZ400) or SWMs etc etc.This bike is small and cheap. (swm is cheap too but 900mm+seat height!)
Plenty of folk have done many miles on small capacity bikes...I think the hint is that Suzuki CHINA have built the concept bike.
I cant see too many Western KLR/DR/KTM riders replacing their 650s' with 250s' I do see ride reports from Asian countries and all the folk are on local bikes around 150ccs AND saying they are adequate for the local conditions ;) Asia is a HUUUUUGH market, both for local consumption and increasingly tourism. maybe the Pee Strom ("P" for Parallel) - pee wee is a Yamaha term already- could become the new big capacity bike for Asia. I dont think its target market is the US/EU/AU.

Reactions: strominateacup
1 - 20 of 87 Posts