StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sold my VFR800 and bought a stock 2004 DL1000 with 2,500 miles in March. Like the bike, but knew that the Strom had much more lurking within than delivered by Suzuki in stock guise...
Now that the bike has been set up properly, HOLY S**T, this bike flies now! Shop who did the work is AF1 Racing in Austin, TX.
http://www.af1racing.com/dynoservices.htm
Picked up almost 25hp(!) up top and 10 ft. lbs all the way down at 3500rpm! They have done lots of tuning on all SV motors, 650 and 1000's. For whatever reason, (EPA Regs./Adventure tourer detuning?) 1st and 2nd are neutered, 4th,5th,6th are all top speed limited and completely shut down towards the top of the rev range. With Ivans TRE, Leo Vince slip-on's, K&N air filter & Suzuki TEKA fuel injection tweaking on Factory Pro Eddy-Current dyno, my Strom is a totally different bike, properly set up like it should have been delivered by the factory, with perfect throttle response and FULL power through all revs, throughout all gears.
I have also raised the forks 15mm (steers much nicer,quicker), added a Corbin seat, Windstrom shield, Pat Walsh Radar detector shelf and hard-wired my Valentine 1. Strom makes me really happy now. Really happy!
Next will add braided brake lines & pad switch for more stopping power/feel up front. Suggestions?
-Stuart in Austin

S

·
0 Posts
What was the total cost of your tuning and the performance parts together? That's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Performance $:
Pipes were $350 used...
Ivans TRE was $100
K&N was $55
Shop charged $375 for tuning and labor.
Under a grand...

Comfort $:
Corbin $375
Windstrom $200

M

·
0 Posts
I've done similar to mine, though I have not had it dynoed yet.
TBR pipes
Ivan's TRE
Power Commander
K&N with a modified snorkle

Really runs nice! Makes a big difference! I also went up one tooth on the rear sprocket. It will pretty much loft the front wheel at will now. Pegging the speedo is no problem now either.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Yes, after I massaged and tuned Vroomhilda in properly it runs like a differetn bike and how it should behave!

I installed a Dobeck/CustomChrome Digita Fuel Optomizer (DFO) with Scorpion pipes and a tall windshield with a DayLong Russell saddle... I ride daily and I plan some nice long trips this summer!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awsome

Is it possible to post the before and after Dyno results?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a jpg they e-mailed to me, not sure how to post it...

Also have a better dyno chart at home that I need to scan.
Shows baseline, bike with pipes & bike after tuning. Impressive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
stupolvo said:
Suggestions?
Street rubber - Stone 020's or ME880's!

·
Registered
86 Posts
jpg

You need to have the image posted somewhere like your home page or other website. Then you can link to the image using the img tag/button. I just checked and it looks like you can go to Gallery two, sign up and create an album for the images. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My understanding of the TRE is that doesn't remove any limiter but rathers "confuses" by using a different amount of resistance shown to the ecm to prevent it from closing the secondaries to limit the speed at certain rpm levels, the secondary throttle butterflies being electro-mechanically controlled by the ecm.

So for a hundred bucks and the loss of the overdrive light you get the same thing many of us get by removing the butterflies 4 screws and pulling the plates out of the shaft. The ecm will still try closing these by turning the shaft but with no butterflies in place no speed restriction can occur.

Other benefits I have found is a much more stable balancing of the throttle bodies throughout rpm ranges, smoother running on the low end and one hell of a rush on the topend.

C

·
0 Posts
Is the Power Commander really necessary with the TRE?...or is it apples and oranges?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Power Commander controls the fuel injection, and the TRE is basically a resistor to confuse the ecm, so it more like apples and camels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts