StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was considering buying a 2017 V-storm 650 xt next month, when at the local motercycle dealership today, l spotted a new V-Storm 1000 GT 2016 discounted to 17k australian dollars.
The bike has it all, handguards, bags, engine cover etc, a huge ammount of savings.

Ive been riding for 24 years, 6 days a week, but now l need 1 bike, but 1 bike that can do it all, commuting, touring with a pillion, all weather conditions.

But my question is, is it really worth that ammount of money?

Cheers again for any thoughts or opinions.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What's the price of the 650?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
I'm happy with my 2014 DL650 and have ridden both, but the extra torque in the 1000 is nice.

Last year (2016) I found the 650 as a left-over and on the showroom floor. The left-over status helped me get a decent out of the door price.

But faced with a similar choice when I bought mine a year ago I might well be on a DL1000.

So my thought is this: If the price difference between the left over '16 model and the new '17 model is a gap you can jump... go for it.

Especially if you will be touring 2-up. You'll be glad you have the extra power when needed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it's not just the power. More importantly, to me anyway, is the much better suspension and brakes on the 1000.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I had both - no brainer - 1000. It's better at everything except mileage a bit and initial price a bit. :wink2: Add a price of a new seat into the 650. lol

That is $12.7k USD for me to understand it. I'd offer $15-16k Aus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I bought mine the insureance was much cheaper on the 650 and over ther years that's been alot of money. I've never but a few times wanted more power, and less wieght is always nice and a little bit lower too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
less than 13K USD. I think it is worth it for the amount of bike you get.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As far as I know we don't get the GT here in the states, though its a 1000 with a few tid bits added. That being said, what about the used market. I routinely see them, the 14+ Vstrom 1000's that is, around here for 6-8K some with farkles!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Buy it! It's a far better bike than the 650 though if the extra weight and height are a problem then consider the 650. I have recently tested both bikes and the 1000 is so much more refined, like someone has polished off all the rough edges. And with the extras offered on the storm it looks the bargain. I have just returned from a 1000 mile trip around central Scotland on my new 1000 V Strom and it was a revelation. Smooth comfortable and refined, and it replaced a Caponord 1200 so it had to be good also it was returning over 60 mpg around the Glens Lochs and mountains and 58 on the motorway, better even than my 650 strom.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've had my Vstrom 1000 3 years+ now and am still delighted to ride it. The thing about the GT is that the engine protection plate is rubbish and the hand grip plastic will crack at any fall over (and they retail for a ridiculous $121 AUD). So these need changing for higher quality items. I cynically saw the GT as a way for Suzuki to push sales of unloved accessories.
My riding friend bought the XT (at my recommendation) for many thousands less and loves it to bits. He's around 173 cms and 75 kgs, doesn't pillion and is content to amble along at the speed limit all day. He added givi side cases which hold much more than the Strom 1000 standard cases.
His XT is smoother and more economical, lower and a little lighter than my 1000.

So what do you need long term? Your size, your riding style, your wallet size? Bear in mind we've all been conditioned somewhat to think we need more size, more power, etc than we really do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you're doing 2 up, most definitely the 1000. I've had a passenger behind me a few times but I wouldn't want to attempt any kind of touring duty with two aboard. All in all I'm pretty darn happy with my '16 650 but I'm going to demo a 1000 next week. For all that the 650 does well, it just doesn't feel complete to me. Of course I may change my mind after the demo ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're doing 2 up, most definitely the 1000. I've had a passenger behind me a few times but I wouldn't want to attempt any kind of touring duty with two aboard. All in all I'm pretty darn happy with my '16 650 but I'm going to demo a 1000 next week. For all that the 650 does well, it just doesn't feel complete to me. Of course I may change my mind after the demo ride.
I suppose it is about expectations. Last summer, 2 up 5000 mile trip to Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam from Middle Tennessee, 12 days. 2006 Wee. We enjoyed the trip immensely. Now at 103,000 miles, going to test ride a GS tomorrow. The joking may begin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great hearing your opinions especailly as you own a Vstrom 1000 for 3 years now.Good points, l could always go for a 2016 Vstrom 1000 standard version for 14k,its an option, then buy a better quailty engine guard, givi hand guards etc.
My long term expectations with wanting to go with a Vstrom, it sounds like it has a bullet proof engine and will go the distance. As i commute 80kms a day, highway riding, then heavy filtering for up to 30minutes.
The Vstrom 1000, has to be with me for at least 5 years or longer, and need to be able to clock up at least 100,000kms over the next few years with little or minimal issues. Then finaly in 5 years resettle back in tasmania with the Vstrom 1000 , and my wife too haha <joke>
90% of my riding is 5 days a week commuting, with alittle touring with my wife as a pillion.
A question? l live in brisbane so weather is alot more humid and tropical, and im not sure how 1st gear filtering in summer for 30-40mins engine temp wise on a Vstrom 1000, do they overheat?
Im 6foot 3 so, l felt fine sitting on the Vstrom 1000, i will be trading in 2 bikes, with some cash, and a tiny little finance.
But reading all the comments, l feel this bike can easily do the kms.
Ive been riding for 24 years now, 5 days a week, 1st 10 years was on classic bikes, 1976 suzuki gt 250 two stroke, suzuki 1979 blue and white gs1000s,1976 honda cb550, the classic 1986 kawasaki gpz 750 turbo< one of the best bikes ive ridden, just down to that the bike had character and soul>1984 yamaha srx250, 1979 honda xl250, 1989 zzr 600, 2009 suzuki gsr 600< 9 years communting on that bike, and no issues really, and a 2011 blue and white suzuki gsxr 600.
And hopefully next month, a vstrom 1000.
Cheers again man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suppose it is about expectations. Last summer, 2 up 5000 mile trip to Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam from Middle Tennessee, 12 days. 2006 Wee. We enjoyed the trip immensely. Now at 103,000 miles, going to test ride a GS tomorrow. The joking may begin.
Amazing, 103,000miles? on a dL 1000? Was there many issues with the bike over the 103,000 miles?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts