StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Total newby here - I'm just about to make the deal on an 08 1000 w/ 4300mi for $5900 - the bike is pristine. seriously looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor - So here's the question is this a good deal?:thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a very clean 09 DL1000 with 53000 miles with a ton of farkles already installed and a complete, but heavily rashed 02 1000 for 3000 bucks. I know prices are different everywhere but I have seen bikes with fewer miles for less money.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, that depends! What are prices like in/around your area. Check Craigslist/E-bay and NADA/KBB Values. The low miles on that bike might warrant the seller asking that price, and frankly-it seems "in the ballpark". Farkles add something too the value as well-if they are ones that you like. You may find something cheaper as the riding season comes to an end or if you don't mind traveling a bit. I bought an 06 1000 with 20,000 miles on it for $3300 dollars. It did need tires, chains and sprockets though. I felt it was a great deal and well below market value.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think it's reasonable, your are not getting it for cheap and you are not getting ripped off. That is if the bike is truly that nice.

Here is my case for your reference:
I bought my 06 a little over 1 year ago with 9k miles for $3800. It was not pristine and I had to spend a good chunk of money getting her that way. If I were doing it again I would have bought a more expensive pristine bike because I think I would have saved money.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No Power Commander? Offer $5,400. Tell 'em you'll have to buy one.

Power Commander installed? Offer $5,400 anyway.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Go for it. Ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reasonable. I paid $5500 a few months ago for a pristine '07 with about 10,000 miles. Chain and tires in reasonable shape. No farkles, but I felt good about the buy, and that's what you are after.

I've decided that a bike is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. Do a search on Craigslist in your area and see what you find. 82 maxim for $3k? All day long. 08 shadow for 4k$ sure.

Buy what you want at a price you are okay with and use it completely as fast as you can.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Power Commander? Offer $5,400. Tell 'em you'll have to buy one.

Power Commander installed? Offer $5,400 anyway.

:mrgreen:
Yes, that's the number I started with. we're at $5800.now - I think this will be it.

Need panniers, heated grips. want power commander and pipes. all said, I think it will be a good deal. thanks for everyones input I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that's the number I started with. we're at $5800.now - I think this will be it.

Need panniers, heated grips. want power commander and pipes. all said, I think it will be a good deal. thanks for everyones input I appreciate it.
Just made the deal! What panniers do most folks use? are they easily detachable?:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its 5 years old and you can buy a new one for only $3200 more where the new one will be worth much more if you want to sell or trade it in later.
To me its fun to buy a new bike every year and getting that high trade in value and showing off my new bike where everybody else rides older bikes.

Dealers are desperate at this time of the year and because the economy is down,,, deal and ask for a better price!
If you do want that used 08, I will offer $4000.
Yamaha Dealers in my area are selling new S10's for $9295 where the MSRP is $14K++

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is definitely an odd statement, I guess I am the opposite, I would rather get a bike thats reliable that I love and laugh at the people spending money every year so they can show off. :green_lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is definitely an odd statement, I guess I am the opposite, I would rather get a bike thats reliable that I love and laugh at the people spending money every year so they can show off. :green_lol:
Yes, VERY Odd! on many levels. To me $3200 is some serious cabbage!! but :biggrin5: I'm just getting too pragmatic now that I've crested 50 - and my view of "not giving a SH#! what other people think" has bumped up a notch or two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to agree with khorlick, Intrepidse17 and Kevphoto.....that seems like an odd statement indeed. For what it's worth, I paid $2800 for a K5 Wee with 36k miles. It's in good shape and I get plenty of compliments on it.....and it runs like a scalded cat! :hurray:

Let someone else pay that initial depreciation..........leaves more money for farkling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts