StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a sargent world sport performance seat and was wondering if anyone knows whether the Utopia backrest fits ok, or if there is anything I need to know before trying to mount it up?

If anyone else has mounted a Utopia rest onto a sargent seat - do you have any pictures?

I did read one post where someone had a Utopia on a sargent worldsport seat but those images must have been deleted (it was an old post)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi All,

I have a sargent world sport performance seat and was wondering if anyone knows whether the Utopia backrest fits ok, or if there is anything I need to know before trying to mount it up?

If anyone else has mounted a Utopia rest onto a sargent seat - do you have any pictures?

I did read one post where someone had a Utopia on a sargent worldsport seat but those images must have been deleted (it was an old post)

Thanks guys
The old post was probably from me. I installed a Utopia backrest, intended for the OEM Vee seat, on a Sargent World Sport seat. It worked well, the fit was fine, and I have ridden more than 20K miles on it. I have interchanged the backrest between the OEM seat and the Sargent over the past couple of years and at present I have it on the OEM. I can at least take a pic of the Sargent seat pan with the holes and slot, which I will do later today.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As promised here are some pics as requested. First is two shots of the Utopia backrest installed on the OEM DL1000 seat, which I am currently using:

As noted I have utilized the Utopia, with the same bracket designed for the OEM seat, on a Sargent Worldsport seat as well, though not at present. Here is a shot of the seat pans side by side, with the OEM on the left at Sargent to the right:

Finally here is a close-up of the bottom of the Sargent pan, and a shot of the spot where you slice the surface to bring the installed bracket through the seating surface and cover.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that's great, thanks for the detailed reply it's exactly what I needed to know!

Is there any reason you switched back to the stock seat with the backrest?

I find the Sargent seat great because i can shift around on it mor than the stock seat, but I do find I get sore if I sit in just one position on the sargent given it's firmness... I've wondered if adding the backrest to the Sargent may lock me in a single position and make it uncomfortable..

When you switch seats, is it an easy process to unbolt the backrest from one and install it back on the other?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is there any reason you switched back to the stock seat with the backrest?
It's really just a personal preference thing I guess... I added the Utopia to the Sargent seat immediately after purchasing it and used it exclusively for a couple of years. At some point I added an Airhawk pad that I use for longer days, multiple days, etc. The combo served me really well on a 12 day, 4,500 mile solo trip summer before last. The Sargent is a bit wider that I am an I found at times that I was getting some soreness in the back of my legs from the flat/hard/wide surface, so I moved back to the OEM. Ironically I just switched them a couple of days prior to seeing your post looking for pics.

When you switch seats, is it an easy process to unbolt the backrest from one and install it back on the other?
Switching the actual bracket and backrest is a piece of cake. What takes the longest is the step of removing the staples to pull the seat cover back as the main part of the bracket goes between the seat pan and the foam of the seat cushion. However I bought a power stapler, elected to use about half as many as the original seat builders, and so even that is no big deal.

Regardless of which seat, the Utopia backrest is the second best money I have spent on my Vee, with the first being the fork brace from Richland Rick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll see how it goes, I do have an airhawk but never use it... I think with the backrest on it will get some use though. I think the wideness of the sargent serves me well (I have a wide backside).

I have ordered the Utopia :hurray:

June 13 build date so I'll post back some impressions late next month when i get it installed.

Thanks again for all your help,
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts