StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a ride from Utah to Anchorhage in 2011 June or August. I have one other rider who is planning on the ride. I would love to ride as a larger group than a smaller group. :var_29:
I am planning on riding up by way of some scenic byways (definately going through Banff) and then taking the ferry back to Bellingham in Washington. The ferry takes the same route as the cruise ships and I have heard that it is an amazing ride. I have a buddy in Anchorhage, and am planning on taking a couple of days off to do a little fishing.
I have just started in to arranging the logistics of the trip.
I am planning on 2-3 weeks total time. I am riding back from Bellingham in one day.
I am happy to arrage a hook up with anyone in the west who is up for the ride. I like to ride fast. If there is nothing to see, then see it going by at 100mph. If you are addicted to the speed limit, then I will be waiting for you in camp every night.
There will most likely be a few different bikes on the ride, I don't know yet if I'll be riding the Strom or the GS.
Hope some of you can join us. I have never heard anyone do this ride and regret any part of it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Interested:thumbup:
Mike

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I am not for big ride groups, as I like a group no larger than 5-6.....with 2-4 even better.

Anyway, the reason that I am responding is because we may see you on the way. We are leaving Thursday, June 30th and returning on Sunday, July 24th. It will be me and my two sons. Possibly my friend Terry will join us to make a 4th and another possibility that my brother will join us for a 5th.

We are riding from Colorado Springs to Wildhorse (going as far north as we can) and then back. Very little of the route will be repeat, as I am looking for more of a loop. right now it is shaping up to be about 8,500 miles, about 340 miles per day, on average.

In about six months, I am going to start a planning thread for our trip and will post maps, etc.

Like I said, hopefully, we can run in to one another.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I've spent some time in coastal Alaska, and August might be much better weather than June.

Have you checked the availability of Alaska Marine Highway ferry reservations? Are you thinking of the route from Haines to Bellingham? Or Whittier to Bellingham? Either will be on more than one boat. Yes, the inside passage is stunning.

Bellingham to Utah. 900+ miles. Keep your radar detector on and hope you don't get nabbed by a laser speed gun. Washington is paying OT to local police for aggressive speed enforcement in certain areas on certain days.

·
Registered
234 Posts
spineguy -

I've been talking to two of buddies that I have known since grade school about putting together this exact same trip! Literally the same trip you just described, a two week run up to Deadhorse, hanging around Anchorage to do some fishing (stream fly fishing and/or open water) and then taking the ferry back to B-ham. I love the idea of the ferry back not only because of the scenery, but just because how much I dread out-and-backs... Anyways, I wanted to jump on in here because of one huge unknown for me - I had been considering posting something similar to this to try and round up a few troopers to go with me next summer but after reading docsabre's RR (if you haven't already read, please do so, its definatley worth your time...) I completely changed my mind about hooking up with peronalities that may, but more than likely may not be compatible for such an extended period of time on the road together. So that is when I brought the idea up this big "epic Alaskan adventure" to my two closest friends, and man did they ever jump on this idea! Now for my problem, neither one knows how to ride a motorcycle... Both of these guys are such optimist they assure me they can purchase bikes (for which I am pushing hard for Wee's for both), take their rider safety training and the mounds of other logistical issues don't seem to worry them a bit. I got already got the Vee, 25k miles under my belt, and all the gear and I STILL have reservation about being ready by next summer.

So, ever heard of back-up plan, a "plan B" if you will? Would you consider letting me tag along if my riding buddies fall thru? I can go leave whenever, but concesus seems to favor a mid-July for optimum weather conditions... I'll just keep an eye on this thread, all the while pushing to make sure my buddies are doing everything they need to do to be ready - I have a feeling I will know for sure by march - april whether or not they'll be ready in time. But if you ever find yourself heading west on a ride, we should definately try and hook up for some miles and beer and see we would get along.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry lads, I have been up to my shinola at work. I am happy to have anyone who would like to join me on this trip. I say that because everyone that I have talked to has planned this trip with several partners and in the end goes solo.
I am completely comited to this trip. I WILL be going. The details are forthcoming.
To answer the question reguarding taking 2 people with no bikes and no experience on this level of a ride, if your faith is sufficient, then press on. My advice to anyone who does not own a bike is that they should be riding hard every day they can for a year to be remotely ready for this magnitude of a trip. There is no way to make up for a lack of experience. I have been riding for 20+ years and I continue to learn and refine my skills.
MTNAdventureRider, I am looking forward to comparing notes with you in Colorado in a few weeks.
For anyone who cannot make the ride, there will be a ride report comming, sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Man, I'd love to join you, but I don't know that I can take 3 weeks off work in a single go, haha.

I might be interested in doing part of it with you, Banff has been on my list of places to visit for a long while. So, I might be in for a week worth of it. Keep us posted, and I will see what I can fit in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CaveHamster, I am always happy to have you along on a ride. You are the only one I have ever riden with who could catch up with me riding across Wyoming at 100 mph. I will talk more with you in Colorado. Ronin and I are camping this year. I looking forward to spending some time shootin the sh?t.
I have begun my research into a motorcycle trip to Alaska. I understand that the Milepost is the definative reference material of choice. It is updated annually. My copy is enroute. I will provide updates as available.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
CaveHamster, I am always happy to have you along on a ride. You are the only one I have ever riden with who could catch up with me riding across Wyoming at 100 mph. I will talk more with you in Colorado. Ronin and I are camping this year. I looking forward to spending some time shootin the sh?t.
I have begun my research into a motorcycle trip to Alaska. I understand that the Milepost is the definative reference material of choice. It is updated annually. My copy is enroute. I will provide updates as available.
Hah, thanks. I'll stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Now that I am back at work, I find myself looking at more bike gear than doing work, sheeesh.

What kind of route are you thinking? Did you want to ride up the Dalton highway a ways?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ferry boat in Bellingham

instead of backtracking, you can hop on the ferry boat in Prince Rupert, BC then take it north to Haines which is still a 2 1/2 day ferry ride. I haven't been on this since 2001 trip, so the routes could of changed. The inside passage areas are viewable from Rupert north.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just back from Montrose.

I have been neglecting this tread, but I just got back from Colorado and I am stocked to make preps for the Alaska ride, despite my wife's concerns about the ride.
I am flexible on the route with some exceptions. I will go through Banff National Park and I will get over to Seward to see the bears. I am pumped for this trip. I have made some fine tunning in my preparations after the Montrose trip. I am making the orders to upgrade my front suspension and add a fork brace.
Gentlemen and/or Ladies, don't spend years wishing you had made this trip. Let's do it. I want to see an army of motorcycle enthusiasts riding north telling conventional wisdom and caution to Piss off. I want all of us to go back to work or where-ever and tell all of the "motorcycles are too dangerous" people to, "shuv it where it will hurt for a while!!" We want to have some adventure before we die. Let's get on and off the road and make this ride happen.

:thumbup:
Let's do it in the name of mid-life crisis, proving your man or woman hood, cancer, homosexuality, hetersexuality, beasteality, some inadvertent disease that you can't pronounce or comprehend, or just because, damit it will be the ride that I will never forget and remember for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have been neglecting this tread, but I just got back from Colorado and I am stocked to make preps for the Alaska ride, despite my wife's concerns about the ride.
I am flexible on the route with some exceptions. I will go through Banff National Park and I will get over to Seward to see the bears. I am pumped for this trip. I have made some fine tunning in my preparations after the Montrose trip. I am making the orders to upgrade my front suspension and add a fork brace.
Gentlemen and/or Ladies, don't spend years wishing you had made this trip. Let's do it. I want to see an army of motorcycle enthusiasts riding north telling conventional wisdom and caution to Piss off. I want all of us to go back to work or where-ever and tell all of the "motorcycles are too dangerous" people to, "shuv it where it will hurt for a while!!" We want to have some adventure before we die. Let's get on and off the road and make this ride happen.

Let's do it in the name of mid-life crisis, proving your man or woman hood, cancer, homosexuality, hetersexuality, beasteality, some inadvertent disease that you can't pronounce or comprehend, or just because, damit it will be the ride that I will never forget and remember for the rest of my life.
Hahaha, a little pumped up I see.

Why don't you work on putting up a suggested route for us to ponder over and (for me) see how much of it we can do in our time allotted...

I've been working up a checklist for gear for myself so I don't forget the damn spoon/fork again, and it's growing more than I had planned, but I think I have a few good ideas in there. Some items we might be able to take one of and share.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok ill start planning

Ok I should have the time off no problem as long as the business stays slower than normal. Ill be working on my fine tuning as we speak. That shock is first on the list and maybe some better front fork springs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Watching Long Way Round right now, and they just made it to Alaska and yeah... I'm digging it so far.
Whaat? You've never seen it? You are such a noob! :)

My favorite was Long Way Down. There was this moment when Charlie (or was it Iwen) asks this guy: "What time does the ferry leave?" The reply was: "You might as well leave that watch behind. It doesn't work here."

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Whaat? You've never seen it? You are such a noob! :)

My favorite was Long Way Down. There was this moment when Charlie (or was it Iwen) asks this guy: "What time does the ferry leave?" The reply was: "You might as well leave that watch behind. It doesn't work here."
Haha, I plan to watch that one next. I don't know why I have never seen the series before, really...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both are awesome

Love both of those DVD's very inspiring. If only we all could travel with two chase cars loaded with parts and a film crew...... Jealousy at its finest.

E

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pussies travel with chase cars. Real men travel with their Johnson flapping around on the tank, or along the side as the case may be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts