Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I posted the trip Dottie and I took to Colorado just after buying the bike. A couple days after finishing that trip and enjoying it so much we decided to take another one since the weather was holding.

We had both been to Bryce Canyon National Park before, but it had been some years ago. With that in mind, that would be the destination for this 4 day trip.

We left Blanding on the bike and headed west towards the headwaters of Lake Powell and Hanksville, UT.

There we turned west and rode to first Capitol Reef National Park, shown above, and then on a short distance further to Torrey, UT for the night.

The second day it was down Highway 12 to Bryce Canyon National Park. Highway 12 is another "must ride" highway if you have a bike (be sure to check it out in the trip report). The ride was fantastic and so was Bryce Canyon. The view areas in Bryce were packed with cars but being on the bike there was always a place to park. After Bryce we back-tracked a little to Tropic and a motel there for the night. We had already dropped the bags at the motel when we went through tropic earlier in the day.

The third day it was back up 12 to Torrey but in Boulder, UT we detoured and rode out to the end of the pavement on the Burr Trail. This is another great bike road. When I feel a little more comfortable with the two of us on the bike and the bags I'd like to do the section of the Burr Trail from the end of the pavement on east to Halls Crossing and Bull Frog on Lake Powell and from there home. I worried that I might get into sand, so on this trip we returned to Boulder, and then back to the same motel we used in Torrey the night before. We were in and out of rain a little the last part of the day.

The fourth day it was back home about 175 miles to Blanding, UT. It was raining fairly hard early in the morning, so waited a little bit and then got into some rain around Capitol Reef. Then dry roads on east, until we were about 50 miles from home. Rode most of that in the rain, which never got to the downpour stage, but still steady. Once home it was time for a hot shower and then time to reflect on another great trip with the bike.

Here is the trip report for this trip along with a lot of pictures that Dottie took (second trip on the page)....

http://1fatgmc.com/motorcycle/suzuki-650/650-trips/Suzuki-650-Trip-Index.html

On a side note, a couple days after getting back from this trip, Dottie said "why don't we run up to Canyonlands National Park for the day". I wasn't one to argue so we did a day later. That proved to be our longest day's ride for us to this point, being about 260 miles round trip from home. It was a day trip and a nice one. No pictures now but maybe at some point.

At this point we are done riding until early next summer. I went in and had a mass removed from a kidney a couple weeks ago. Good news was it turned out not to be cancerous, but I'm suppose to take it easy for 6 weeks and by then we will be on our way to Florida, to our old sailboat there. Hopefully, if all goes well there, we will be on it to probably next May and then home again and more bike riding,

Sumner and Dottie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys!! I'm in good shape just can't lift anything heavy for another 3 weeks. I'm riding the Suzuki 200 around town but not in the dirt and will ride the 650 around here in another week or so before we leave.

A couple weeks ago Dottie and I were on the 200 at the bank and she got on first and then proceeded to fall over, her and the bike. She hurt her foot but has been walking on it. Yesterday they x-ray it and she has a small fracture on one bone. No surgery needed, but now has to wear a boot for 4 weeks. Considering that, we will put off going to Florida by a week or so. She is a trooper and this hasn't changed her mind about getting on either bike :smile2:,

Sumner

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Great Pics!
My heart bleeds for your injuries. The indignity of it all.
When you get to the boat and the sunset is spectacular, raise a glass for us all! Prost!

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Nice pic's! I've ridden Utah twice in two years and am going to keep heading back there as much as I can.....the place is amazing.

Sorry to hear your going to Florida....after 20 years we escaped it in '07:lol1:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....Sorry to hear your going to Florida....after 20 years we escaped it in '07:lol1:
:smile2::smile2: Not going there to live :wink2:, it is just the place where the land meets the water.

We have two sailboats. One is on a trailer and is 26 foot and 1800 lbs. empty. I've had it down there twice now. First with Ruth, my late wife who passed away 2 years ago and then a year and a half ago I took it down by myself and ....

.... took it 1300 miles to the Bahamas and back....

Macgregor Trips-1 Index

I've also had a 1981 Endeavour sailboat there in a yard by Port Charlotte and only sailed her 70 miles from where Ruth and I bought her to the yard and have gone back down and worked on her over the last 5 years. I'm hoping this trip to finally get her back in the water and sail on her at least to the Keys and if things went perfectly back to the Bahamas. This boat at 37' and 20,000 lbs. is much bigger than the other one.

So no plans to move there :wink2: but hope to vist and board the boat there this year and hopefully in the future.

If you are near us on your next Utah trip be sure and stop in. I also have a nice shop and would be more than welling to help any of you guys out that might need help in this area. PM me before a trip and I'll give you a cell number,

Sumner

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I really loved Utah when I rode through there back in '09, and your photos really brought back some memories. I definitely have to get back out there.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Ahhhh, the Bahamas....every summer we used to motor over to Bimini from Ft. Lauderdale sneaking across the Gulf Stream. Our flotilla usually had boats from 17' up to 29'. After fueling up in Bimini, we would head down to Honeymoon Harbor and camp out for a week. Conch hunting, spear fishing, diving, hook & line, bonfires on the beach....lotsa Goombay Smash...very fond memorys!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Fantastic write-up and pics. Some of my favorite riding to date has been in Utah. I was on my Goldwing previously but plan to take my 650 there this spring or summer. Like you, I'm anxious to try some of the dirt roads out there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wonderful ride!

I did a similar one April 2016 starting and ending in Denver. In 5 days I hit Canyonlands, Newspaper Rock, Natural Bridges, Fry Canyon, Capitol Reef, down the Notom-Bullfrog road, Burr Trail to Grand Staircase-Escalante, Hwy 12 to Bryce Canyon, highway to Page AZ, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, 4 Corners, Mexican Hat, Moki Dugway, and then back to Denver via the Million Dollar Highway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fantastic write-up and pics. Some of my favorite riding to date has been in Utah. I was on my Goldwing previously but plan to take my 650 there this spring or summer. Like you, I'm anxious to try some of the dirt roads out there.

Give a holler when you have plans. Work life takes up a ton of time, but on occasion I can skip out for a long ride. Doing Moab-Moki-Escalante-Hells Backbone-Bryce/Rte12-Zion with a buddy from WA this summer myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts