StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a number of these lately. Please post technical questions in the appropriate forum. I see pretty much every new post. There are a lot of savvy people here, many of which could have personal experience with stuff I've never touched. A better variety of ideas may come forth. Ideas made public can help more people. I learn something new here often by reading threads I don't even post to. The bottom line is tech questions are not personal. Thanks for your understanding. Posting this to every PM would take longer than answering the average question too.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Ah, the price you pay for being a God. PM sent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are a lot of savvy people here
Ahh, but there are also a lot of "assholey" people here who automatically bash you with the "use the search button" instead of providing a usefull answer :furious:

I'm sure the folks PMing you know that you are one of the go to guys on the forum, and not one to slam someone for asking a stupid question. That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of other folks on the board that would offer helpful and innovative advice other than you...if they can just get past the "others"

·
Registered
331 Posts
But if the answer is already here, don't you think that maybe the "savvy" ones get tired of re-typing it or pointing you to it? :confused:
On the FJR forum it was known as becoming a "search welfare recipient" and that kinda makes sense to me. :yesnod:

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Searching this site can really suck though. Too many restrictions. Try doing a search for 'ammo cans' and it comes up with nothing even though it's been discussed 1000 times.

Edit from GW, use the Google custom search box in the middle of the page instead of the edit button in the blue bar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree in part, but if I were one of the "savvy" rather than be a douchenozzle and answer with the tried and tired "use the search button" response, I would make no response at all. Granted, many of the search welfare recipient questions are such ones that have been asked and answered 100 billion (pinky to corner of mouth) times and said recipients have made no attempt at searching prior to asking but that is NOT always the case.
I just think the jerkoffs should kee their mouths, uh er...fingers quite rather than post the usual lame-o response.
And honestly, if I were half the font of information that Greywolf,and others for that matter, is, I honestly would have no problem repeating/reposting valuable information the the thousandth poster asking which seat is better, etc etc. And if at the time I just didnt feel like answering that particular question, I wouldn't post a response.
That's just me though. Just sayin' :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just wish as mentioned above that the search requirements weren't so strict...makes it hard to find answers. Also having to wait 60 seconds between each search is odd, I understand it decreases demands on the server but I've never seen such a restrictive search limit on a forum like this. Not that I'm complaining :mrgreen:

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Which is why the more savvy a$$holes around here like to point out to the "search welfare recipients" and "search function pimps" to forgo the site based search all together and use Google or whatever.

"<insert search term here> Site: Stromtrooper.com" works much much better.

Stop using the search function and use a search engine!

If you can't find it there...LOOK THROUGH THE ENTIRE WEBSITE TO FIND THE MOST APPLICABLE SECTION TO POST YOUR QUESTION IN. Then post a question for all of us to answer...and then be corrected by greywolf.

·
Registered
578 Posts
As long as this has turned into a search issues thread, everyone please bookmark this url:

http://www.vee-strom.com/search/

Someone went to a good bit of trouble putting together a search page that will automatically search this and a couple other Strom-related pages. It's powered by google and it works pretty well. Having that link in my bookmarks bar has saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Then, if you want to search this site specifically, use the method in the link posted above by LowAndSilent. Just go to google. If you want to search for info about (just for example) stebel horns, type in "stebel horn site:www.stromtrooper.com" and this is what you end up with. Mind you, it's not perfectly idiot-proof since you have to get all the spaces just right, etc. (can't have a space between the colon and the "www"), but it's not hard to get the hang of it. This works for any site on the web, btw.

OK, all that said, I also think it's pretty lame to jump on someone's case if they do not already know how do to this. There's a lot of sticky shit on this site and honestly, not all of it is really that important or interesting. Forgive the guy who forgoes reading the 110 (yes, I counted!) sticky threads on this site in order to try to get a quick response as to why his bike won't start the day before his cross country trip. I really don't think the internet is going to overflow from our redundant threads. If someone doesn't feel like repeating themself to answer the new guy's question, then they shouldn't. If it's really a topic that's been covered that many times and seen by that many people, then someone else will step up and respond. But really, if someone has time to jump down a guy's throat because he not a pro at using the site, then they've got time to help. As Dad always said, "Why would anyone exert more effort avoiding the task at hand than the task itself requires?"

Anyway... rant off, I guess. Thankfully the kind of behavior I'm talking about isn't actually as prevalent as it was, say, a year ago.

Just to keep this post from being completely off-topic... +1 to everything GreyWolf said. Seriously, I wan't to hear your problems too. It makes me feel better. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
On the FJR forum it was known as becoming a "search welfare recipient" and that kinda makes sense to me. :yesnod:
The FJR Forum has a great FAQ that is a big help called " The Bin 'O Facts". It would be a big help if the veteran Stromtroopers had created one at the start. it answers everything from torque settings to filters that fit. The collective body of knowledge is here it just takes a lot of digging. All forums it seems suffer from the Oil, tire repetitive questions posted. The google search is great for that.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I cant speak for everyone, but some guys may think their question is either too specific or feel it may be a dumb question. Not saying it shouldnt get posted here first. Also, is it really not healthy for some of the same topics to re-occur? There are new memebrs that join and old ones that leave every day....Therefore I would think new ideas can often be applied to some of the same topics. Dont get me wrong, I dont think people should instantly PM a person unless they have a need to contact that individual or have a message targeted for that individual. But at the same time I dont think its wrong to make new posts on older similar topics. I think its great that people can link a person to similar discussion, but the instant replies of using the search feature (which may have already been attempted) may be a bit intimidating to a new guy wanting to ask a question. After all, isnt this site about the mutual joy of the Vstrom and sharing ideas? Whats the point if people get upset they have seen the same question twice? If you dont want to see it then dont read the thread, its quite simple.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Which is why the more savvy a$$holes around here like to point out to the "search welfare recipients" and "search function pimps" to forgo the site based search all together and use Google or whatever.

<insert search term here> Site: Stromtrooper.com" works much much better.

Stop using the search function and use a search engine!

This is what I found helpful. Much better than the search tool on the site.

·
38,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's time to repeat this. Personal messages means personal not general or technical. It's also worth noting there is a Google search box available now.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Never understood why people go out of their way to tell someone to use the search feature for common questions.

I would be willing to bet more bandwidth and calories are spent doing that than just answering the question over again.

Which, btw, on a site devoted to a single make of motorcycle repeating ourselves is inevitable.

·
38,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. But if a tech question is to be asked for whatever reason, ask in the forum. PMs are for messages of a personal nature, not a general one. "What windscreen is that I see in your avatar?" is personal, though beginning to get old. (It's an MP shorty and MP is out of business). "What's a good windscreen for...." is not personal and should not be asked in a PM.

·
Registered
856 Posts
douchenozzle. i like that one! i'm stealing it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is not about Greywolf's post - I agree completely. This is about asking questions of old.

Users should have some concept of search. A site like this has tons of information. OTOH, part of using a forum is asking and answering questions. Sometimes new information arises or new people can give a different response. If all of your questions have been asked in the past and on this forum most have, then what is the point of the site other than as a database of information. Let the new guys ask some questions and get some fresh responses. Let some some folks that haven't responded to an old question give their responses. Don't want this site to become a static strom encyclopedia.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts