StromTrooper banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 wee uses hlaf quart oil 1000 miles running 70 miles hour.......is this normal,the bike has 47,000 miles ...thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
No one can say this with any kind of a guarantee...

Have you read about moto-mans break in technique? Basically, it says that if you don't seat those rings on the piston walls within the first 20 miles, you won't have a second chance...

Unless of course you re-hone the walls and put new rings in... now you have 20 miles to try again.

I'm a believer, at this time anyway. On my current ride, right out of the gate, I rode it like I stole it, even up to the red line a few times. Just changed over to full synthetic at 1500. It has not used a drop of oil. Not a drop. The level was exactly where it was when changed at 600.

Yes this type of break in is controversial, no doubt, but at this point, as said, I'm a believer.

Good luck with it kingdom, only hoping for the best for you. But I don't think it's the model year, I believe it's the break in style.

·
Registered
394 Posts
2007 wee uses hlaf quart oil 1000 miles running 70 miles hour.......is this normal,the bike has 47,000 miles ...thanks
Google search tool, top middle of page. Tons of information on the subject.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts

Have you read about moto-mans break in technique? Basically, it says that if you don't seat those rings on the piston walls within the first 20 miles, you won't have a second chance...

Unless of course you re-hone the walls and put new rings in... now you have 20 miles to try again.

I'm a believer, at this time anyway. On my current ride, right out of the gate, I rode it like I stole it, even up to the red line a few times. Just changed over to full synthetic at 1500. It has not used a drop of oil. Not a drop. The level was exactly where it was when changed at 600.

What mileage is on your bike?

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
This isn't unusual.

Many feel that the oil goes out through the breather, and I think that may be most of what is happening. Our bikes also have jets that spray oil on the underside of the pistons at higher rpm's and this would tend to cause some excess oil on the cylinders and as a result increase the amount of oil burned as well.

In my case it didn't really happen much with mine until I got it up into the 40,000 mile range (if I recall correctly.) Perhaps a combination of increased blow-by that happens with age increases the effect.

In any case it isn't much to be concerned with. Last September I rode back from Utah to home (near Toronto Ontario.) Temperatures were in the 90 to 100f range and, especially in the western end of things most traffic travelled at 80 to 90 mph. I did about 600 to 700 miles each day for three days and had to top up the oil at the end of each day. My bike mileage at the time was over 115,000 miles.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
70mph seems to be the breaking point. Below it and practically nothing is used. Above it, especially more above it and for long periods in hot weather, and oil use is noticeable.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
My direct experience is that the type of oil apparently matters. Never used a drop in 25k miles with Bardahl dino, then switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. It now uses about half a quart per 2000 miles or so. I don't know why, and don't personally care, absent evidence of some other problem.

So ... maybe try a different oil, if it bothers you ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oil

This is great info......i usually go with the blue jug rotella but since the bike has some miles been thinking about some more high dollar stuff. :confused:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts

Yes this type of break in is controversial, no doubt, but at this point, as said, I'm a believer.

Good luck with it kingdom, only hoping for the best for you. But I don't think it's the model year, I believe it's the break in style.
Indeed; this type of break-in is waht causes oil consumption.
I broke mine in as per the (properly interpreted) Suzuki manual.
I run the crap out of my bike and run it in the 7-8krpm range when I commute; I accelerate hard too, all the time.
My oil stays CLEAN until 1,000 kms before it's due for a change. My bike has 36,000kms and it's never burned a drop of oil.
I use regular dino oil 10w40.

·
38,103 Posts
Take any mention of oil brands or types to the big oil thread or I will close this one.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I broke every bike I owned a variation of the moto-man's way (for the last 15 years) and not one ever used oil, had mechanical issues or had less power.... So basically I ignore the break-in procedure in bike manuals and ride them normally right from the get go... Bikes are dyno tested right off the assembly line, so what is the point of breaking them in gently when you buy them?... :confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I run the crap out of my bike and run it in the 7-8krpm range when I commute; I accelerate hard too, all the time.
My oil stays CLEAN until 1,000 kms before it's due for a change. My bike has 36,000kms and it's never burned a drop of oil.
I use regular dino oil 10w40.
Not to be argumentative, but, do you have anything to back this up? other than your experience? Moto Man shows pictures of pistons, rings, and ring walls that have been broken in both ways. In ea case, the 'easy' break in shows oil blow by occurring. In ea case.

you have proof otherwise? Indeed?

I broke every bike I owned a variation of the moto-man's way (for the last 15 years) and not one ever used oil, had mechanical issues or had less power.... So basically I ignore the break-in procedure in bike manuals and ride them normally right from the get go... Bikes are dyno tested right off the assembly line, so what is the point of breaking them in gently when you buy them?... :confused:
The current bike (1500 on the odo now) is the first I've broken in the Moto Man style. So far so good. But ea one of the other bikes I've had (amounts to almost 10 now) used oil. They all had to be 'topped off' at various times during the oil change cycle.

this is a wikipedia article that talks about the subject.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
If i interpreted the suzuki manual correctly - what it does says is: vary the engine load, i.e. accelerate the engine through its rev ranges, but only to a maximum ceiling rpm of in a step up fashion.

it is not really taking it easy and gentle, as in constant cruising or gentle loading up of the engine.

If you interpreted the manual this way - moto mans method is not as controversial as one might think.

regardless which camp you are from, dont wait till the 1,000km or 600 miles is up before getting rid of the first oil - do it within 50kms - you will be surprised of the crap that's in the oil at that point.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
Off topic and getting nasty earns a closure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.