Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is time to make your voices heard once again. This was discussed last fall when the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF, Snoqualmie Ranger District sought commentary on their initial project proposal.

Washington State, Greenwater road closures | Adventure Rider

They have now released the draft Environmental Assessment for the project, along with posting the notice of such to newspapers in Enumclaw and Snoqualmie on April 27th. The comment period is open for 30 days following.

All the pertinent information is located here: Forest Service

The items of interest currently are in the Analysis section. The Draft Environmental Assessment dated April 18th is about a 150 page slog of information detailing the whys and wherefores for each of the three alternatives being proposed. It boils down to this:

Alternative 1: Do nothing. Leave everything as is, by and large allow roads and trails to degrade to the point they will have to be closed. This will not be selected no matter what. They have a mandate to protect the flora and fauna as we all know, and allowing road degradation and the like to fall into streams and rivers is just not going to happen.

Alternative 2: Close ~75% of the roads. This is the proposal they sought commentary on last fall. Clearly they had a reasonable number of comments based on what they arrived at below.

Alternative 3: Close ~35% of the roads. While this sounds like a big number as well, to me it is clearly the best alternative. As they say in their text, many of the roads and trails included in this 35% have clearly not seen any use in a long time; overgrown and difficult to even determine. This will keep much of the access intact, while allowing their reduced budget to provide minimal maintenance.

From the notification letter:

"Specific written comments on the draft EA may be submitted by e-mail, letter, office visit, or
fax. Comments need to be in a readable format as part of an email message or attachment in
plain text (.txt), rich text (.rtf), Word (.doc) or (.docx), or Adobe (.pdf). Written comments may
be mailed or delivered in person to: Martie Schramm, District Ranger, Snoqualmie Ranger
District, 902 SE North Bend Way, North Bend, WA 98045. Office hours for those submitting
hand-delivered written comments are: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding
holidays. Comments may also be faxed to (425) 888-1910. Electronic comments should be
emailed to: [email protected]s with
"Greenwater ATM" in the subject line. For electronically mailed comments, the sender should
normally receive an automated electronic acknowledgement from the agency as confirmation of
receipt. If the sender does not receive an automated acknowledgement of the receipt of the
comment, it is the sender's responsibility to ensure timely receipt by other means. Those
submitting written comments must sign the comments, provide an email address, or verify
identity upon request."

Regardless of whether you agree with my choice of alternative 3 as being the best solution, please get your comments in before May 27th. Just don't promote alternative 1 or 2. :grin2:

Let's hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I got involved in this at Enumclaw's urging near 3 years ago. It's not a matter of keeping things(roads mostly) from being closed, but helping direct them on closing the lowest impact areas. I felt my input was valued and was helping. Many different users were there(Jeepers, hikers ect.). If you want to keep your favorite areas accessible try to attend these meetings.
I now live in Spokane so am no longer able to be there.

Don

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heads up! Get your comments in now! And equally as important, it was pointed out to me the copied and pasted email address for doing so in my original post has a typo: cornments instead of comments. Geez, wonder if they'll extend the comment period now? Anyway, I fixed it in the above post.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Input given previously, including pictures and comments about almost every highlighted road. I would suspect the 35% number will close most overgrown dead head roads that have little use. A lot are short spurs that go nowhere. They were quite appreciative of giving them first hand knowledge of so many roads, including pictures and fun trip using the area. My klr knew most all roads and dead ends by heart. Get involved, write in your comments.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I Did It

Thanks to Enumclaw, I was aware, had links, looked at the 7 maps, and put in a brief comment favoring ALT 3. I actually went to meetings and such over the similar planning effort for the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River but for the whole 15 years it lasted. Unlike Greenwater RD, the idea there was to mollify mt. bikers & horse people, to restrict access of elderly hikers, to isolate and destroy access to privately owned uses or claims, and to formalize the doing of nothing in the Middle Fork drainage unless the work could be contracted to the politically well-connected like engineered bridges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts