StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wandering around Home Depot with my eyes glazed and brain in free-wheel mode, as I often do (hey, I live on a sailboat and ride a bike; invention, construction, and adaptation are constants in my life), and spotted this beefy stainless gadget in the "BBQ accessories" isle:

"B'damn," says I, "that looks exactly like the rack mount that I need to support my Kuryakin GranTour bag!" It's 14.25" x 10", heavy-duty stainless, with a pattern of holes at what looks like every 0.5" - a.k.a. "bolts to pretty much anything". Price? $16.

I'm headed back there right now - I was already carrying way too much stuff to pick up yet another gadget when I saw it - but for my purposes, and probably a few other folks here, it's as good as a $200 rack mount - and maybe even sturdier.

If you find yourself cheering over how well it works for your purposes, you owe me a beer. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
360 Posts
What a great idea. And it works really well on my Weber Q-220 grill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Multi-use - that's even better! And the soot won't even show on the Kuryakin bag... :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
OMG, it's a sickness!

I own that exact grill accessory. I bought it with exactly the same thought: mounting stuff/ supporting luggage.

So far all I can vouch for is if you have it hanging off the edge of your workbench, it makes a great screw-holder as you're wrenching on your bike.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Careful of sharp edges of Home-made Rear Racks........they can bite you when exiting at speed, uncontrollably, off the back end of the bike........as in slice and/or bruise your inner thighs. Not that I would know anything about that..........on a DR650........in a school parking lot........going over a speed bump in first gear (after dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket)......and "goosing" the throttle. :headbang: :thumbdown: :yikes:

·
Registered
859 Posts
At first look I thought that could be used for a radiator guard. Would have to look at the required measurements. Just a thought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Low cost radiator guard

So I was wandering around Home Depot with my eyes glazed and brain in free-wheel mode, as I often do (hey, I live on a sailboat and ride a bike; invention, construction, and adaptation are constants in my life), and spotted this beefy stainless gadget in the "BBQ accessories" isle:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/06/06dce910-c830-4d07-b3a7-5157261ccafd_300.jpg

"B'damn," says I, "that looks exactly like the rack mount that I need to support my Kuryakin GranTour bag!" It's 14.25" x 10", heavy-duty stainless, with a pattern of holes at what looks like every 0.5" - a.k.a. "bolts to pretty much anything". Price? $16.

I'm headed back there right now - I was already carrying way too much stuff to pick up yet another gadget when I saw it - but for my purposes, and probably a few other folks here, it's as good as a $200 rack mount - and maybe even sturdier.

If you find yourself cheering over how well it works for your purposes, you owe me a beer. :biggrinjester:
Looks like I owe you a beer, PerfectStrom. It looked like I could fab up a cheap radiator guard out of it, so I gave it a try. I took a bunch of pics and put 'em in an album on Picasa and Flickr. If these links work you can see them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114375404294132436913/LowCostVStromRadiatorGuard
Low cost VStrom Radiator Guard - a set on Flickr

I was concerned that the stainless would be hard to cut, but a new metal blade in the sabre saw worked through it in quick order. I touched up the saw marks with a fine file and I think it came out pretty good.

Thanks again for finding this inexpensive hunk of stainless at HD and letting us know it existed! :thumbup:
Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like I owe you a beer, PerfectStrom. It looked like I could fab up a cheap radiator guard out of it, so I gave it a try. I took a bunch of pics and put 'em in an album on Picasa. If this link works you can see them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114375404294132436913/LowCostVStromRadiatorGuard

I was concerned that the stainless would be hard to cut, but a new metal blade in the sabre saw worked through it in quick order. I touched up the saw marks with a fine file and I think it came out pretty good.

Thanks again for finding this inexpensive hunk of stainless at HD and letting us know it existed! :thumbup:
Bob
Hey Bob,
I tried the link and it says 'page not found' :( I think I'm going to try and Fab a rad guard out of it also and was hoping to see what you did. Anyway, it's good to know it's at least possible :thumbup:. If I get something worked out, I'll post up some shots. Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Brent

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Bob,
I tried the link and it says 'page not found' :( I think I'm going to try and Fab a rad guard out of it also and was hoping to see what you did. Anyway, it's good to know it's at least possible :thumbup:. If I get something worked out, I'll post up some shots. Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Brent
Brent....I'll try a different way of posting my photos to see if that helps...Keep checking back. (I have to drop off my lab at the vets this AM . She's having cataract surgery so she can see again. :hurray:

·
Registered
14,132 Posts
Your radiator guard is nifty.
I may do a similar for the oil filter. The price is just so right!
For the DIY's here it's a hoot to read brilliant ideas others have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your radiator guard is nifty.
I may do a similar for the oil filter. The price is just so right!
For the DIY's here it's a hoot to read brilliant ideas others have.
Thanks,notacop! Looks like you were able to access the photos. That's good...maybe PerfectStrom will now be able to, also.

I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive items that are sold for one purpose, but can be used for another purpose altogether. And I thank PerfectStrom for spotting this at HD and bringing it to our attention. Not that I'm cheap sob, (..well,maybe..), but there's a certain pleasure in "DIY" sometimes and it's fun to cobble up something that works as well as a store bought item. It saves farkling $$ for stuff I can't make myself.

If you use this BBQ grill for your oil cooler guard, I'm sure a hundred other guys, including me, would like to see you post some pics of it. Go for it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very cool mod, for some odd reason the link in the first post is broken, but works in the quoted post........

On a side note, Willy, my Dad was a radio operator in EC-121s out of Argentia from I think 59/60 through 63 or 64 when he transferred to Pax River. My older brother was born there in 62.......

And in case you haven't seen this......background music a bit cheesy perhaps, but who doesn't like to see their bird in action:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7xRJrodWog

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nevermind the bike farkels! Tell us about the boat! What are you on? Where are you presently? Pics? :)
I've done a couple of years living aboard in Florida, Keys, and Bahamas. Lastly was on my 28' Morgan OutIsland. But that was a decade ago. Diggin' the mountains these days. Ride ( and sail ) safe. :)
g

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very cool mod, for some odd reason the link in the first post is broken, but works in the quoted post........

On a side note, Willy, my Dad was a radio operator in EC-121s out of Argentia from I think 59/60 through 63 or 64 when he transferred to Pax River. My older brother was born there in 62.......

And in case you haven't seen this......background music a bit cheesy perhaps, but who doesn't like to see their bird in action:)

1959 Argentia Newfoundland - Super Connie EC121 Warning Star - VW13 Willy Victor - Danger Zone - YouTube
GLHS...Thanks...I think I fixed the broken link in my first post, but am happy you were able to see them by clicking the link in the quote. Who know how this stuff works.
Your video link brought back some memories...Your Dad was flying the EC-121's a bit before me. Looks like he was working in some mighty cold weather! I was flying in them from '68 thru '69 as an ECM operator based in Atsugi, Japan with detachments in the Philippines and DaNang. Great experience if ya lived thru it.
Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
722 Posts
GLHS...Thanks...I think I fixed the broken link in my first post, but am happy you were able to see them by clicking the link in the quote. Who know how this stuff works.
Your video link brought back some memories...Your Dad was flying the EC-121's a bit before me. Looks like he was working in some mighty cold weather! I was flying in them from '68 thru '69 as an ECM operator based in Atsugi, Japan with detachments in the Philippines and DaNang. Great experience if ya lived thru it.
Cheers,
Bob
By then he had moved on to a ferry squadron out of San Diego, I think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts