StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I appreciate all the great feed back n all my questions.

Gotta another question

Found a vstrom 650 abs 2013 pretty much loaded with accessories. . Has 18,000 miles on it. Just trying to see if that is a good amount to still purchase or better off to go new ?

Thoughts?!

Would be for commuting ( 80-90 miles a day) and touring when able.

Thanks again

Don

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The answer to your question would be, it depends on you, if you HAVE to own a new bike. But seeing that you asked the question, it means that you are having second thoughts. Generally there is nothing wrong with buying a good condition second-hand V-Strom. These bikes, if looked after, are good for extremely high mileages and many smiles getting to that mileage. Search this site for high mileages and read for yourself.
Let's look at the purchase from a financial point of view: new bike + out the door + accessories cost + recalls attended to, vs a used bike that already includes accessories, no hidden costs, has been well maintained and had the two major recalls attended to (no down time). No-one is able to foresee if there won't be a recall for a new bike further down the line, as there was for the Glee?
Guess its up to you to make the call.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Gert is right these are not sport bikes they're built to last and not likely to get abused. But the answer is individual so it depends on the bike and you.

If you end up getting it make sure recalls are done, the valve recall and the stator replacement. How are the tires on it? chain? It should be half way through at that mileage.

You can check recall on Suzuki sight just punch vin number.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If the used bike is in good repair and the accessories are ones you like and most likely would add, I'd certainly not rule it out. Its a great opportunity to save some cash. As a barometer my 2013 bought last June came with:

Crash bars
Givi Screen
Oxford heated grips
Center stand

With a touch over 5,000 miles for $5K.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the used bike is in good repair and the accessories are ones you like and most likely would add, I'd certainly not rule it out. Its a great opportunity to save some cash. As a barometer my 2013 bought last June came with:

Crash bars
Givi Screen
Oxford heated grips
Center stand

Good points! They do have the accessories I am looking for. Thanks for letting me know your Price. I think they are asking for much more. I need to find out about recalls etc...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The recalls being done IMHO aren't adding or detracting from the value as Suzuki is currently covering them. If this one doesn't pan out there are plenty of other deals out there. My bike was listed for a fair amount more than what me and the seller agreed on. He did have it for sale for a while so he was ready to more it and I had cash in hand. Used DL's are a buyer market not a sellers.

If this one doesn't work out be patient. Used DL's pop up frequently and as other have stated its not a young mans bike so most of the time they are well cared for and were ridded reasonably.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, That makes a lot of sense.

I'll keep my eye out for them. I think If I can get a used one with all the extra's I want. Why not. All depends what comes up :)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
check Cycle Trader to see what's available. Many dealers ask crazy prices, so take it with a pinch of salt.

And check e-bay completed auctions to see if any sold recently and if so at what price. That's the most realistic indicator.

Plus watch the for sale section here. There are frequently good deals if you have the patience to wait. Once the new bike bug gets someone he needs to sell, your chance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Crash bars
Givi Screen
Oxford heated grips
Center stand

Wow that was an aw some deal! That's what I'm looking for ! Did you buy it from a d alert or did you just get lucky 😎

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wow that was an aw some deal! That's what I'm looking for ! Did you buy it from a d alert or did you just get lucky 😎
After I was sure I wanted a DL650 I was all prepped to buy new but I decided to give CL a quick search and found what I ultimately ended up buying.

Looking around my deal was not to far from average. Great bikes they just don't have any resale value.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After I was sure I wanted a DL650 I was all prepped to buy new but I decided to give CL a quick search and found what I ultimately ended up buying.

Looking around my deal was not to far from average. Great bikes they just don't have any resale value.
CL?

Good points on price. I,just need to be patient and shop around. I only see them on cycle trader. Any other sites to look?

·
Registered
603 Posts
CL?

Good points on price. I,just need to be patient and shop around. I only see them on cycle trader. Any other sites to look?
CL is Craig's List.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I picked up a 2012 DL650 Adventure - stock with 2466 miles for $4k out the door at a used car lot in St Louis. I just had the stator recall taken care of at no cost. I lowered it an inch for $50 +/- and plan to add a few more farkles next month. I waited and watched Craigslist for more then a year to find the bike I wanted for a good price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up a 2012 DL650 Adventure - stock with 2466 miles for $4k out the door at a used car lot in St Louis. I just had the stator recall taken care of at no cost. I lowered it an inch for $50 +/- and plan to add a few more farkles next month. I waited and watched Craigslist for more then a year to find the bike I wanted for a good price.
Thanks for the information. I gotta try that out. I'm not in a hurry so that could work out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts