StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
would imagine it's a tough time for a lot of people to spend their savings on toys.
Actually seems to be the opposite.
New snowmo's pretty much sold out, rv sales thru the roof, & now I hear pre-season bookings for new seadoo's sold out, even auto dealer lots are virtually sold out of new trucks.
I also can't figure why when pricing new similar sized enduro's vs street bikes, the street bikes are cheaper in every case! Yet they have twin cylinder engines compared to single enduros, much more elaborate information systems like speedo's with tach, & a host of other stuff compared to enduro's speedo, way more elaborate seats, more exhaust plumbing, etc, etc???
Oh well I'll just keep watching, hoping I'll get lucky, I just can't justify new price for a bike to just putt around back trails to alleviate my retirement boredom this spring 馃槙

Registered
Also agree that many people have much more money than usual to go spend. In a normal year I try to work max 50 hrs/week. In 2020 due to Covid, it was closer to 60 hours/week, with many weeks at 70hrs, so my paychecks were bigger. But at the same time we are spending much less on typical expenses

A normal year has us doing 2 vacations somewhere international. In 2020 it was just a solo ride, which saved us around $10k there.

A normal year would have me commute 30,000km. In 2020 due to work from home, it was 6,000km and most of that was from January and February. Since March 2020 my car had only gone 2000km total!

We save money on gym memberships, save money on drinks / eating out, and all kinds of other entertainment costs.

This all means way more money in my pocket and yet fewer items to spend it on that fall under the guidelines. Where I鈥檓 from and those I interact with - more than half are in the same position as me.

Home reno鈥檚 and toys are the big spenders now.

Registered
A good dual sport costs a lot. I've had a honda 450, 650, a Suzuki 400, and several ktms. The ktms are lighter and the 6 speed trans and heavy crank motors are unbeatable. But they cost more. Totally worth it tho. Personally I'd never ride anything else for hardcore dual sport riding.

Registered
We're seeing the same thing here in Australia, I read only this week that used car prices went up 36% last year. I imagine motorcycles were similar. The world wide production of new cars were down 23%, this probably had an impact on used prices. If you think that is bad, you should see what happened to classic cars prices in Australia. Absolutely insane prices especially for muscle cars. I've even seen doors and hatches sell for thousands of dollars.

Registered
A good dual sport costs a lot. I've had a honda 450, 650, a Suzuki 400, and several ktms. The ktms are lighter and the 6 speed trans and heavy crank motors are unbeatable. But they cost more. Totally worth it tho. Personally I'd never ride anything else for hardcore dual sport riding.
I do love my 18鈥 KTM 500 for single track and enduro style riding! I sold my 2017 Drz400s after owning it brand new for only 1 year. The suzuki was a great little machine, but, the KTM is a complete all around upgrade. I also can鈥檛 see myself on anything but a ktm at least while I鈥檓 still into more technical tight enduro style riding.
(sorry getting off topic I know).

Registered
Also agree that many people have much more money than usual to go spend. In a normal year I try to work max 50 hrs/week. In 2020 due to Covid, it was closer to 60 hours/week, with many weeks at 70hrs, so my paychecks were bigger. But at the same time we are spending much less on typical expenses

A normal year has us doing 2 vacations somewhere international. In 2020 it was just a solo ride, which saved us around $10k there.

A normal year would have me commute 30,000km. In 2020 due to work from home, it was 6,000km and most of that was from January and February. Since March 2020 my car had only gone 2000km total!

We save money on gym memberships, save money on drinks / eating out, and all kinds of other entertainment costs.

This all means way more money in my pocket and yet fewer items to spend it on that fall under the guidelines. Where I鈥檓 from and those I interact with - more than half are in the same position as me.

Home reno鈥檚 and toys are the big spenders now.
I hear what your saying. Have only put maybe 3000KM on my car over the past year and a bit more on my wife's. Cancelled a trip to Santa Maria Cuba for last March Break and have the $ on account as they wouldn't refund it. Was supposed to go last June to Switzerland and that fell though too. Really bored now but saving $$$. On a positive note, I did put over 600 KM on a new Specialized Crosstrail I bought in Sept. 2019 and rode around the Oshawa area.

Registered
Well if its a barometer I just sold 3 bikes in one afternoon :oops:.

All three sold for the asking price (all were reasonably priced). Cash is in hand and bikes on on their ways home (y)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts