StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was gonna expand my riding fun this spring with a 250cc street legal enduro, something like a nice used xt250 Yam but holy cow every used bike I've seen is what I'd consider ridiculous priced!! Maybe I'm little off in my thinking but $4,000 to $4,500 for a 10-15yrs old bike that costs $6,000 new seems a little high.
I know it's supply & demand but how can a 250 enduro be worth as much as a decent V-strom 650 of same vintage???
Has anybody else noticed this? :confused:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had exactly the same experience. I was shopping for the strom, but also looking for a fun little dirt bike to fart around on the property. The prices were just crazy pants high. Guess I'll just have to wait for now.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
You are not the only one with this observation. Prices are ridiculous. Since 2010 every year I've been buying new (used V Strom). Last year I started to look for next one in August because my 2017 was getting to many miles. After owning 13 of them that was the first time I've had no luck finding one reasonably priced. For some of them (stock) owners were asking more than you can buy new one. Ended up buying well equipped low mileage 2017 Yamaha FJ 09 for about $2000 less than any 2017 and up similar V Strom (including 650). Since it is more street oriented bike and I would like to go off road on something like 250 cc I started my research. The same conclusion - way overpriced. If there is something reasonably priced it is gone in couple of days. Another surprise to me was a fact that I've never got so many people interested in buying my V Strom despite the fact that it was 3 years old and with 50 000 km already on it. Right now bikes market seems to be very similar to the real a state market.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
308 Posts
The used prices are high in my area too, but from what I’m seeing...the bikes aren’t moving (unless people are just not deleting the listings after they sell). Ex. There’s a couple ‘12-13 Super Tenere’s listed via private sale for ~$7,500. That’s more than the same bikes were going for at dealers when I was in the market in late ‘19.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
You needn't do anything other than walk outside and you'll understand why motorcycle sales have slowed. Its that season called winter. In a few weeks as the weather start to break the sales will pick back up.

I listed a one bike several weeks ago another earlier this week and will list a 3rd in the next day or so. I've been getting a little bit of interest but its still pretty early for most would be buyers,

·
Registered
13 Posts
For sure prices are inflated and bikes are on sale for long times. I spent 6 months checking every site before I found a bike that wasn’t overpriced.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I was browsing Craigslist in my area to see how prices were locally.

Not used, but caught my eye.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
That’s for sure but if the price is right toys still sell. My bike was sold for the full price within one week.
Price range of a bike also comes into play. Bikes in the $5,000ish range sell more quickly as folks can typically source the cash w/o a loan. Once loans are needed it becomes a different ballgame.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Small enduros have been overpriced for at least a couple years. My wife and I ended up buying two brand new xt250s a couple years ago for just that reason. It wasnt much more to buy them new...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dual sports are crazy high. Been trying to help a friend find something reasonable for his son but not much luck.
Best prices on KLR 650s which he is tall so may work for the riding he is intending.

On the other hand, I've picked up 3 nice H-D Sportster 1200 for $7,000 TOTAL ($2500, $2500 and $2000). Less than one Honda 250 out the door.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'm getting ready to sell my 2012 DR650.

Acerbis 5 gallon tank
Gold valves emulators in the forks and HD for springs
Gold valve in the stock shock and HD spring
Vapor dash
Fork brace
FCR39 carb
DR260 tail light
Sea Concepts commuter seat
New battery on 2-20-21
New rear tire
CR bend handlebars
Hand guards
HID headlight

I'm the second owner bought it in 2014 at 23XX miles. Currently has 16,074 miles on it.

Come throw $3,500 at me and ride it away.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
308 Posts
You needn't do anything other than walk outside and you'll understand why motorcycle sales have slowed. Its that season called winter. In a few weeks as the weather start to break the sales will pick back up.

I listed a one bike several weeks ago another earlier this week and will list a 3rd in the next day or so. I've been getting a little bit of interest but its still pretty early for most would be buyers,
Absolutely, but what I don’t get is the list prices that I’m seeing. Maybe the people aren’t riding their bikes, they don’t REALLY want to sell them, and they just throwing the listing out there thinking “if someone shows up and will pay that amount of money, they can take it off my hands.”

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Some people think they have a gold mine or they also believe what they paid OTD is somehow related to the value. How many times have you seen the ads where all the "buyer" has to do is take over payments or pay off what is owed and its yours. Prospective buyers can't help when the original buyer wrapped up 100% of the purchase price then taxes, tags, setup fee's, $2,000 in gear and a extended warranty into the loan. Then a year later after making minimum payments thinking what they owe is what the bike is worth,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I was gonna expand my riding fun this spring with a 250cc street legal enduro, something like a nice used xt250 Yam but holy cow every used bike I've seen is what I'd consider ridiculous priced!! Maybe I'm little off in my thinking but $4,000 to $4,500 for a 10-15yrs old bike that costs $6,000 new seems a little high.
I know it's supply & demand but how can a 250 enduro be worth as much as a decent V-strom 650 of same vintage???
This seems to happen with all products. Especially on craigslist. But, yes I’ve seen it with Dual Sport
Motorcycles often. I need to assume it’s the seller getting carried away with how well they might have cared for the bike or the parts they put into it. They figure, “this bike is damn near good as new and I’ve been taking amazing care of it.” That’s why I really don’t buy used unless I am aiming for 50% or more off. Once you start looking at 10%, 20%, even 30% off you are too close to brand new at that point.

these sellers will most likely be dropping the price of their bike in the future. I feel like at least in the snowy areas of the US people are just throwing their feelers out there right now because they figure no one‘s buying motorcycles at the moment. They figured they’d rather catch a big fish and wait until spring to lower the price to get a quick sale if need be.

However, in general, I do see high asking prices for most used bikes. But, I also find people willing to barter for the most part. Be patient and you’ll find your bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Around here, I found dealerships seem to have more rational used bike prices than private party sales on CL or CT.
Some of the ads are so absurd it's funny.
I find myself clicking on them for entertainment value.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Dual sports have been crazy for 5+ years here in Ontario. It’s why I bought my drz and more recently crf450 brand new

·
Registered
23 Posts
The prices have definitely been jacked here in NY during covid. Checked Craigslist and FB every day from Jan to September(2020) looking for a vstrom and every one was 1-2k more than they were going for 2 or 3 years ago. Either that or relatively high mileage gen1's.
Dual sports also have flown out the window. I bought my tw200 4 years ago for $1,700 and currently ones with the same mileage and condition are almost $3,000.... and they don't sit for too long at those prices either.
I've been looking for a cb500x for the last couple months and it seems that the decently priced postings aren't even sitting long enough to grab them. I'd drive a state or two over same day for the right one but it always seems like I can't catch them in time lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts