StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking at a used 2009 with about 18k on the clock. Any advice as to what should be done right away?
Don't know if the tires are original, they look fair. Any thoughts on replacements, I will be doing mostly street riding, I hear a lot of talk about Shinkos.
Is it a good idea to change brake fluid and coolant along with the engine oil at this time?

Thanks in advance folks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Does the seller have any maintenance records? Might not need anything.

To verify the date of the tires on the bike they will be an oval about 1-1/4" long by 3/8" high cast into the sidewall of the tire. In that oval will be 4 numbers. The 1st two numbers are the year the second two numbers are the week. So a oval with 0927 would meant the tire was manufactured the 27th week of 2009.

Shinko's are a good value.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
With that few miles, after buying used myself, I'd pull the air cleaner to see if mice have been living there. Other than that, the normal things, air pressure, gas, oil, and a good check over.
Good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Given what I'm finding on a recent, newer, lower mile, used purchase, I'd give ANY bike a quick basic nuts and bolts safety check, fluids, air, mice, volts. Cuz I just found some scary shit on my new-to-me 2015, 7500 mile DR650. And I bought it from someone I know. It's just prudent.

At 18000 miles, I really hope the tires are not original. Shinkos have treated me fine.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you have no service records I'd go through and do all scheduled maintenance. Definitely all fluids, a set of speed bleeders makes flushing brake fluid easy and quick. A valve check/adjustment would be the big thing, price and/or time, if you haven't bought the bike yet, I'd use this as a bargaining chip. I'd be surprised if those are the original Bridgestone Trail Wings at 18K, but possible, they'd most likely be heavily worn. In the future a headlight relay is a good purchase if you're going to keep the bike. Many people end up changing the windscreen and/or seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good information guys.
UPDATE ...................... I put money down today.
The bike has so many extras and looks in great shape for an '09. It is at a dealer (with a good rep) who took it in a swap from a Harley dealership. Lots of extras installed by the previous owner who did a good job wiring things. Engine guard, skid plate, center stand, heated grips, huge Givi bags & top case, fork brace, battery level display, etc. etc. Tires are Michelin Anakee 3's (forgot to check the date but plenty of tread left).
Waiting for the snow to melt and planning road trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts