StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Quite new on the bike world, I am looking at a 2013 650 with around 30.000km. What are the good and the flaws of this specific model? what are the things i need to look at?

Thanks,

Ugo

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Hi all,

Quite new on the bike world, I am looking at a 2013 650 with around 30.000km. What are the good and the flaws of this specific model? what are the things i need to look at?

Thanks,

Ugo
maintenance records. should have had valve adjustment by now. stator and tappet recalls can be verified on zuki site using vin #.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Chain/Sprockets, tires, brake pads- normal wear items so you just wan't to confirm condition and factor that into your offer.

Headlight relays installed?

After market fuse box installed?

Steering head bearing, no flat spots.

Fork oil/seals ever serviced/replaced?

If you describe the bike a bit more such as added farkles, general condition and price you may get some more incite from the gang here. Is this a private sale or dealer?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I own this bike. Wire chafing is a common issue. Leading to blown fuses. Had a major issue with that on a long trip. So if you buy it check the wires coming around the right side by the tank for chafing.
The only downside IMO is it does not have a BEAK. So I glued a traffic cone on the snout and am now very happy. What an improvement in performance! And the Beemer guys are really jealous.
Seriously though, the 2013 is a super bike and I have grown to appreciate it more and more as the miles click by. Can't imagine anything out there I would swap for it. Except a bigger boat. A boat with a big beak...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chain/Sprockets, tires, brake pads- normal wear items so you just wan't to confirm condition and factor that into your offer.

If you describe the bike a bit more such as added farkles, general condition and price you may get some more incite from the gang here. Is this a private sale or dealer?
No headlights relays or aftermarket fuse box as far as I know, will ask again.

I have asked for service records, haven’t gotten them yet.
Bike is sold by Suzuki dealership, comes with the Experience package, SW-Motech engine guards, skid plate, side cases and top case, heated grips and touring windshield and wind deflectors for hands.
CAD 8k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own this bike. Wire chafing is a common issue. Leading to blown fuses. Had a major issue with that on a long trip. So if you buy it check the wires coming around the right side by the tank for chafing.
The only downside IMO is it does not have a BEAK. So I glued a traffic cone on the snout and am now very happy. What an improvement in performance! And the Beemer guys are really jealous.
Seriously though, the 2013 is a super bike and I have grown to appreciate it more and more as the miles click by. Can't imagine anything out there I would swap for it. Except a bigger boat. A boat with a big beak...
The famous beak, ah!
Thanks for the tip on the wire chaffing. I’ll look into that when I go see the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts

+1 for headlight relays. if not installed a good idea. No headlights at night will likely strand you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No headlights relays or aftermarket fuse box as far as I know, will ask again.

I have asked for service records, haven’t gotten them yet.
Bike is sold by Suzuki dealership, comes with the Experience package, SW-Motech engine guards, skid plate, side cases and top case, heated grips and touring windshield and wind deflectors for hands.
CAD 8k.
I bought my 2013 650 brand new in October 2013 for $9,999 CAD which included SW Motech engine guards, top and side cases and centre stand...I added a SW Motech skid plate and a Madstad windscreen and Suzuki hand guards for $500 at the time of purchase. A used 2013 650 for $8,000 CAD even with all those additions and especially the amount of miles/kms, hmmm...time to negotiate a better price but only if the bike has been taken care of and had its recalls completed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh yeah, check the tires for wear, a set of tires can set you back a few $$$, look for cracking in the side walls, look for uneven wear on the sides of the rolling surface and whether the tires have flattened out in the middle section, also look for signs of a flat repair since they are tubeless. And then check out the brakes, engage the front brake lever and see how mushy they are, look for air bubbles in the brake cylinder inspection window, check out pad wear, brake jobs can be a few more $$$.

I recommend taking a buddy with you who is an experienced rider and able to check it out with you. There may be even a VStrom owner near you that may be willing to go with you.

Cheers and whatever you settle on, enjoy the ride and all the best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, check the tires for wear, a set of tires can set you back a few $$$, look for cracking in the side walls, look for uneven wear on the sides of the rolling surface and whether the tires have flattened out in the middle section, also look for signs of a flat repair since they are tubeless. And then check out the brakes, engage the front brake lever and see how mushy they are, look for air bubbles in the brake cylinder inspection window, check out pad wear, brake jobs can be a few more $$$.

I recommend taking a buddy with you who is an experienced rider and able to check it out with you. There may be even a VStrom owner near you that may be willing to go with you.

Cheers and whatever you settle on, enjoy the ride and all the best.

Thanks Jerry for all the tips.
I see you're on the island as well. Bike is in Ladysmith, yours maybe?! and I'm in Victoria. We moved here couple months ago, so I don't know anyone here yet who would have the knowledge to help me out... if ever you dont know what to do this weekend.. ! ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my 2013 650 brand new in October 2013 for $9,999 CAD which included SW Motech engine guards, top and side cases and centre stand...I added a SW Motech skid plate and a Madstad windscreen and Suzuki hand guards for $500 at the time of purchase. A used 2013 650 for $8,000 CAD even with all those additions and especially the amount of miles/kms, hmmm...time to negotiate a better price but only if the bike has been taken care of and had its recalls completed.
sorry bike is $7k, around 8 with taxes..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Better yet, check the date code on the tire. On this side of the 45th parallel, there is a DOT date code - an oval with 4 numbers inside it. The first two are the week of the year during which the tire was manufactured, the last two are the year. Tires should be younger than 5 years, or they become a negotiating point. Regardless whether you feel comfortable riding on 25 year old rubber or not, the mfrs suggest replacing them after 5 years, so you are within your rights to ask the seller to lower his price for the cost of a set of tires. Now, he might not do that, but this is, as i said, a negotiation point.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I have the previous years bike, it now has 130,000k's on it and still runs like a top.

Front forks usually need new bushes and seals @~80,000k's.
Clutch wear will probably become noticeable @~100,000k's.

Generally very durable bikes if the basic maintenance has been done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Checked Mile Zero Motorsport in Ladysmith and a new 2018 650XT with a 5 year warranty comes in at $9400.00 before taxes. A 2013 for almost the same money is not a good deal in my mind. Closer to the $4K mark would be a better price. Mind you, accessories can add up, but a new 650 that you add some $2K in accessories is still considerably less expensive than the alternatives such as BMW and Triumph. I would also think that with the riding season winding down, the new 650 price will come down as well. Just a thought. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked Mile Zero Motorsport in Ladysmith and a new 2018 650XT with a 5 year warranty comes in at $9400.00 before taxes. A 2013 for almost the same money is not a good deal in my mind. Closer to the $4K mark would be a better price. Mind you, accessories can add up, but a new 650 that you add some $2K in accessories is still considerably less expensive than the alternatives such as BMW and Triumph. I would also think that with the riding season winding down, the new 650 price will come down as well. Just a thought. Good Luck.
Ah! The bike is at Mile Zero.. at $7K so still 3K cheaper than the base 2018..
I have a quote from Action for a 2019 with same accessories than the ‘13 that came up to almost $15K..

I’m heading to Mile Zero on Saturday. Will talk with them and will see

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ah! The bike is at Mile Zero.. at $7K so still 3K cheaper than the base 2018..
I have a quote from Action for a 2019 with same accessories than the ‘13 that came up to almost $15K..

I’m heading to Mile Zero on Saturday. Will talk with them and will see
Thought so. It's the buying season, dealers want to move product. Action is more expensive. I went to Ontario to pick up my 2012 DL1000, used the trip to visit family and friends as well. Make sure the bike fits you, in that when you sit on the bike, there will be very little that you will have to do to make it fit such as handlebar risers, aftermarket seat, lower foot pegs if necessary.

The mechanical side should be straightforward. I had researched the issues with the DL1000 and found that the rotor magnets, clutch rattling/chudder were two main issues. Factored these fixes into the equation and still had a reasonably priced Adventure sport bike.

Heated hand warmers are nice, as are side mirror extensions.

A pair of tires such as Shinko 705 can be had for approximately $275.00. I've been to Adrenaline and going out to Kenco in Sooke to discuss tires today.

Brakes need to be looked at regardless of where you get the bike. The pivot pin that allows the brake caliper to float and move, may need some maintenance. If you do your own work, I'd recommend taking the calipers off and removing the pivot pins, clean and lube everything then put back. Do not have to rebuild the calipers if the pistons move freely and don't leak. Brake pads do get brittle after a few years - dealers will do an estimate of how much pad is left, may be prudent to change as well.

Ask about the front forks and if these have been serviced. If not, a fluid change should be done.

Have a good look at the rear sprocket to determine if the the teeth are starting to deform. Dealer has probably adjusted the chain so it is in spec; however, if the chain is original sprocket(s) may be showing wear.

Just a few more thoughts, and only my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My thought, expensive for a high mileage bike with average add on's this time of year. But then again, your always guna pay top dollar from a dealership. they don't work for free.

30k isn't really high mileage for a V-Strom. But in a lot of peoples eyes 30k/18500mi is higher mileage. But more importantly, 18000mi is when a valve check is due. This won't be cheap. Wouldn't keep me from buying a bike but I would factor into price. I'm guessing around CAD 500 or so.

Tires, Check age and condition. Again, not a deal breaker. Just figure into price.

Fork seals, mine blew right at 19k miles. I'd check them.

Other than that just the normal wear and tear parts. (I don't know anything regarding the recalls)

For that price I'd expect the bike to be perfect. I don't think the buyers will be lining up for that bike this time of year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts