StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I'm looking to pick up a second bike. I currently have a Harley XG750 (Street 750). It was an ok bike to get me into the Harley ecosystem, and I'm going to keep it for at least another season. But I want something to take on longer, all day adventures.

I found a 2013 Adventure with 6500 miles for $6000. I could probably get the price down a little because it's actually at the Harley dealer where I bought mine. It looks all stock with and has the hard factory cases.

Another place has a new 2014 leftover non Adventure model for the same price. I'm sure they would add on a bunch of fees though seeing as it's still brand new.

And I also found a new 2017 Versys for $6600 out the door (plus tax).

I guess my question is what kind of maintenance will be due soon for the 2013 with 6500 miles? If I bought the new 2014, or even the Versys I'd still have to buy the bags, which is an additional expense.

The type of riding I will be doing is 90% paved roads, with an occasional dirt road here and there.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
No maintenance is due on the 13, and that dealer is on crack for that price.........Versys are nice but they are not as touring or off road capable as a Strom IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Longer trips are definitely on the agenda, and one of the reasons I was leaning towards the DL650A. But I will test ride them both before buying.

What do you think a good offer would be for that bike? I'm having a hard time find used models in my area, even on CraigsList.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
No idea what your area is, and there are some great Stroms for sale here on the forum. That 13 is around a $4500/$4700 bike, and it is at a Harley dealer and won't sell anytime soon if ever. You cannot access the 4 sale section here yet because you are new, but I could always do my magic if you wanted access. ;)

Good luck with test rides, it's almost impossible if a dealership is selling the bike, but many private sales may consider that. IMHO you will like the Stroms better, and yes I have ridden the Versys and it's a fun sporty/nimble bike for sure. The 650 Strom has the best engine between the 2 bar none, and they run a very long time as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Northwest PA, kind of in the middle of Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I don't mind traveling a few hundred miles though to get a better deal, so if I had access to the for sale section it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That new leftover 2014 might can be had for less than you think. It’s four model years old, and with the newest generation in its second year, the dealer surely is looking to unload it. Might see if you can get some panniers, top case or other items thrown into the deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That new leftover 2014 might can be had for less than you think. It’s four model years old, and with the newest generation in its second year, the dealer surely is looking to unload it. Might see if you can get some panniers, top case or other items thrown into the deal.
That's a good idea too. I bought a bike several years ago and they threw in a jacket and helmet. Wasn't the greatest jacket in the world but it was free. Well, "free" is more like it but it made me feel like I was getting something for nothing.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Do some research first. Check cycle trader and e-bay completed auctions.

This is the worst time in the year around here to buy, so unless you are desperate giving it a little time will end you with a better deal.

There is a 2012 in MI with a lot of good farkles: http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/406802-2012-v-strom-650-adventure.html

Can you see that post with this link?

And another 2016 for 5900: http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/404458-2016-dl650-abs-sale.html

If you can't see them plead with BigB for access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CycleTrader was one of the first things I checked for comparison prices. They all seemed in line with what I was seeing but Big B thinks they are still asking too much. I forgot about checking eBay. I can see the links so thanks BigB for the access.

I'm not in a big rush, but you live in the same area I do and you know how it goes as soon as the weather gets nice.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
Another vote for the '13 being overpriced. If planning to spend $6K, I'd go with the new '14.

And if you are looking for pre-owned, for the same $6k and some patience you can find a barely broken in garage queen '14 Adventure with the factory hard panniers and probably some other amenities. Personally, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
735 Posts
FWIW I purchased my 2012 650 last March fully kitted out with 20-ish liter Givi bags (side and top), tipover bars, plastic OEM skid plate, and a Russell Day-Long seat for $5k. And this bike was meticulously cared for by the prior owner, a mechanical engineer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in Northwest PA, kind of in the middle of Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I don't mind traveling a few hundred miles though to get a better deal, so if I had access to the for sale section it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think you necessarily need to feel limited to your area. I live in Ann Arbor. I bought a new DL1000 from a dealer in Rockingham, NC. I then sold my Concours 14 to a buyer in Orlando. We both used UShip contractors to bring us our bikes and we both had a great experience. You do need to pay attention to whom you're contracting with, but there are plenty of reviews to go by. And I can give you a referral to either of the two folks we used if you decide to go that way.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might consider none of the above, and instead opt for a 2017. According to this thread, prices for a new 2017 model aren't all that far off from what you're seeing.
I was thinking the same thing about a 2017. I did check out the new 2014 tonight but didn't have a chance to test ride it yet. This was at the Suzuki dealer, Well, it's a power sport with many brands and Suzuki is one of them. The 2014 price he gave me wasn't far off from 2017.

And I don't mind traveling to get a good deal, even from a private seller. But I kind of want to make it my own, and all the used bikes I've looked at so far have already been farkled. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I test rode the used 2013 this weekend, and even though it had fairly low mileage it was rough. I don't think the prior owner took care of it. And I couldn't get them any lower than the $6k they were asking for it. I went back to the place with the new 2014 (base model) and they are asking $5500 for it. Out the door however is $6300, and that doesn't include tax (I'm buying it out of state and will take care of the tax when it's registered in my home state).

$800 sounds like an absorbent amount to me. I'm pretty sure I want to buy new and not used, but I've never seen dealer fees this high.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Better off to go buy a new one....those are insane used prices. Many Stroms for sale here and much cheaper than what you’re seeing, that’s a helluva option if you’re open to that. Most of us meticulously maintain our bikes, yet another great reason to by from members here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Better off to go buy a new one....those are insane used prices.
Well that 2014 is new, just a left over. From four years ago though! Seems like they would do anything just to get rid if it at this point. I offered $5500 out the door and they didn’t take it. They will probably call back tomorrow though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those prices do seem high I would look new and see if you can score any finance deals or cash back. Unless the older model is lower insurance it’s just not a great deal unless they take you up on the 5500.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I wouldn't pay dealer add on fee's like prep and shipping on a new bike let alone a 4 year old leftover. You certainly have the upper hand as the dealer needs to get a 4 year old bike off their showroom floor because its cost them money every day to keep it.

Also somewhere you posted about a free jacket, ain't nothing free. Dealers will do this or offer you 10 or 20% off in stock clothing the day you buy the bike. Normally the stuff they have in stock is marked up 50 to 100% so they aren't giving you anything but rather getting you to over spend. Or they give you a $100 jacket that cost them $30 to get you to spend $7,000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts