StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2018 1000 xt it has the cigarette type charging port. It woeks but it always vibrates loose and stops charging. Poor design imo. Is there a plug n play type replacement with usb ports. Take out cig type put in usb type.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
You might be able to cut a coil or two from the cig light plug that forces the centre contact against the terminal at the bottom of the socket. This will reduce the pressure that forces the plug out of the socket. You can also wrap a zip tie or rubber band around the plug to keep it in place.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought this one on Amazon. It came with a drill bit, but it is a standard 30mm body; fits exactly in the OEM 12v socket hole in the dashboard and has a tight seal over the USB ports. It has its own on/off touch button. I wired mine into the unswitched fuse block I installed so I can charge phone, run my air pump etc without the ignition on, and turn off the usb plug when I'm done.

·
Registered
311 Posts
what is the OEM connection to the socket?

can this be a direct swap or do you have to modify the wire harness / route to the battery?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The device that Motorpsychology mentioned has 12Vdc input, similar to the cig lighter. So you've got the choice. You can just disconnect the cig lighter connector and run new wires from the USB adapter all the way back to the battery/fuse block, or you can splice into the existing wires for the cig lighter. The latter option most likely requires a bit of soldering or crimping.

·
Registered
311 Posts
thanks, guess it was too much to hope that Suzuki used the generic connections for the OEM socket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read another submission on this forum that said you can use the usb plug from the new 1050 vstrom as a direct substitute.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Cigarette port pretty much sucks universally. I use an SAE cord direct to the battery, and run a Battery Tender brand USB power unit off of that. Much lower profile, no dremel necessary, you can keep it out of the weather and power other accessories from it as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Before you replace your 12V plug try this...
Most (not all) usb chargers can be rotated in the 12V port. Rotate it until you feel a click.
The 2 little springy things that look like this ( ||||||| ) on the plug will expand into a couple slots in the 12 volt port and help to lock the plug in place.

Worth a try.

Reactions: Stromation

·
Registered
311 Posts
my issue is that even with a low profile cig USB they can't be left in and sealed with the rubber cover. i only need to charge my phone and dont want to keep track of or install and remove the USB outlet.

i know, i know, first world problems....

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
Yep, I'm leaving the factory 12v plug but will rewire it to be powered with the key off. Adding a switched dual USB charger port and volt gauge.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts
Be wary about converting the 12v outlet to key off power. I understand for use with an electric pump when you get a puncture, but if you them used it for say a GPS, and left it on, the resulting flat battery might be inconvenient.

·
Registered
875 Posts
what is the OEM connection to the socket?

can this be a direct swap or do you have to modify the wire harness / route to the battery?
The usb socket I linked to in post #4 is a standard 30mm diameter socket; drops right in the OEM socket hole in the dashboard with no modification, and has a backing nut that secures it as tight as the oem socket. It has waterproof spade connectors to the socket and eyelets on the other end. The OEM connector is a JIS(?) standard 2 gang type. It is switched; only powered with the ignition on. If I was going to wire it to the bike's wiring, I would cut both the bike's connector and the usb's eyelets and install the same type of waterproof male-female spade connectors. That way you can disconnect it easily to remove the dashboard.

But I didn't do that.

I simply taped off the OEM lead, connector and all, and ran wire from the dual usb socket, which came with about 3ft of lead with an inline 3a glass fuse and eyelets. I cut those off (incl the 3a fuse) to add wire to route it to the tail section where I installed my fuse block,* then soldered new eyelets on to connect to the block, and protected it with a 3a ATC blade-type fuse. This way I can have the usb's unswitched as the socket has its own touch on/off button. I can power accessories and chargers with the ignition off, and have the ability to turn off power to the usb hub when not in use (it has leds in it that glow when on).

*I connected the fuse block to the battery with 10ga AWG primary wire.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Be wary about converting the 12v outlet to key off power. I understand for use with an electric pump when you get a puncture, but if you them used it for say a GPS, and left it on, the resulting flat battery might be inconvenient.
I have my gps on its own unswitched circuit, running from a powered mount (Garmin). The gps unit easily detatches from the mount to take along when I am away from the bike. Point taken though, Brockie. Soon or later I'll leave my phone charging on the usb while in the garage for a few days...:rolleyes:

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Registered
311 Posts
because i want it switched and I'd prefer not to modify the harness.

gonna look into the 2020+ USB outlet, hopefully its a direct swap. if not possibly look for the proper connector from an aftermarket source and make a pigtail that plugs into the OEM harness and one of those generic inserts.

·
Registered
875 Posts
because i want it switched and I'd prefer not to modify the harness.

gonna look into the 2020+ USB outlet, hopefully its a direct swap. if not possibly look for the proper connector from an aftermarket source and make a pigtail that plugs into the OEM harness and one of those generic inserts.
I would bet that the 2020 unit would be direct plug n' play. If I was to swap the OEM units, I would talk to a shop tech. I'm pretty sure that when they set up the bike, the Instrument pod, housing, etc are not assembled as it sits in the shipping crate, and a tech would (should ) likely know if it attaches & connects the same as the12v sockets did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts